“Seen it's day it appears”

Belle of Baton Rouge Casino & Hotel
Ranked #63 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Florida
“Seen it's day it appears”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Fortunately we did not stay here but just decided to visit the casino. Talk about dark and smoky smelling! You could tell that at one time this was a grand place to stay/visit. But it has seen it's day! The casino was one of the darkest I think I have ever been to! We parked in the wrong lot so we had quite a walk to the casino and it was a long quiet walk. We walked by one of the buffets but you could tell that it had not been used in some time. There was no one in site.
It is very sad because it looked like at one time this was a happening place but not any longer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gagal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Florence
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Attended a conference at this hotel, and was excited to stay at a casino hotel because of experiences I'd had at Tunica, MS and other locations.
My expectations were soon dashed completely by the condition of the hotel. The room did look good when we checked in (thumbs up on this), but the problems started the second day. There was only one housekeeper for the entire floor who went from the elevator to the other end of the floor cleaning the even number rooms and then returning in reverse cleaning the odd number rooms, ours was the next to last room cleaned each day which meant it was ready sometimes after 6:00 pm. (Four thumbs down on this item)
By that time on a couple of days they had ran out of clean fitted bottom sheets and put flat sheets on that weren't large enough to tuck in properly. So for two nights I slept with a sheet that wadded up under my butt each time I turned over. (Middle finger up on this!)
Then, Friday morning we decided to eat at the Atrium buffet, BAD MISTAKE! I’ve had better breakfasts at the Motel 6 and didn't have to pay $10. per person for it. Lesson learned on that one. (Two middle fingers up on this one)
The room itself was about average size with a huge old style flat screen TV but did have a comfortable office chair/desk combo and a separate wingback style chair with an ottoman. (Two thumbs up on seating)
Internet connection the first couple of days was spotty at best, afterwards it was depending where you sat in the room as to reception, (thumbs down on this)
The bathroom was so small that you couldn't shut the door without stepping between the toilet and vanity unless you weighed a 100 pounds or less and are known to your friends as "Skinny-mini," a grown person had to be a contortionist to accomplish this simple task. Of course if you’re by yourself then this is not a problem except to shower. (Thumbs down on this)
On the first day, I called the front desk and asked for an additional "Suitcase Jack." The front desk clerk said "A what?" After explaining that I wanted a stand put an additional suitcase on, the response was "I don't think we have any more of those." I asked that it be referred to housekeeping but never received one. I guess the one housekeeper per floor didn't have time for frivolous requests. (Two thumbs down on this!)
And then there are the trains, if you like being woke up at various hours by a freight train blowing an air horn that could be heard by Helen Keller or someone in Alaska, then you'll love this place. The engineer of the train is a real sadist in that he loves to push that horn button and wake everyone within a 10 mile radius up just because he is working the night shift. (Four thumbs down and four middle fingers up and waving at the train jockey)
Another problem was two elevators out of service a couple of days and one was out of service the entire stay. For the first three days it was hung at the top of the elevator shaft and made a continuous thump thump noise that resonated throughout the hotel wing. (Thumb down and middle finger up)
I was going to assign a one rating but am kicking it to two because of the seating and the desk.
Would I go back? Not if I were paying for the room! In the sense of full disclosure I stayed five nights of which the conference paid for three and I paid for two at the group rate. So, if you get a free room, by all means go, but if you’re paying retail price check other options.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank David R

Travellers are raving about these Baton Rouge hotels

Gautier, Mississippi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

First, the staff was unfriendly. As someone out of state staying at the hotel that the event we attended recommended, our questions appeared to be a bother to the staff; at times they were just rude. No coffee pots in the rooms. Coffee was available only during certain hours only in the lobby - no considerations that some people are early birds and prefer their coffee before 6:30am. Rooms were not clean. But the thing that happened that caused us to state that this place is not a safe place to stay is upon returning to the hotel around 6pm after being out all day, we found our room propped opened with no staff in site. We never received any communications from the management of the hotel even with several requests. Their solutions were to tell us that this is procedure for the maids to leave the doors propped opened until the inspector comes through and to give us a free buffet. No one ever followed up with us even though we asked. And the buffet - don't waste your money. Very poor food. We will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank blishman
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I was here as a working airline crew member. There are NO coffee makers in the room. Which is odd since they have both a mini fridge and a microwave. When your transportation time to the airport is 0430 and you have no access to coffee, you can almost expect tragic results. When I posed this dilemma to the front desk, the response I received was, "coffee service in the lobby starts at 0630"

The rooms were clean and the bathroom acceptable. I have taken one meal in the restaurant and it was good. Service was slow and painful. I would never pay money to stay here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Gautier, Mississippi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I was in Baton Rouge for a workshop and they suggested that we stay at the Belle. What a mistake!!! The room was filthy and not maintained (bulbs out in the light fixtures, etc). Then when I returned from my workshop around 6pm my door was propped open. Who knows how long my room was open to the public. Thank God nothing was missing! I went to the front desk and asked to talk to a manager but there was not one on duty (or at least that is what they kept telling me). I went back the next morning and ask to talk to a manager but the manager had not arrived yet. I left messages for a manager to call me but still have not had a call from a manager (it has been a month)...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Hannah M
Paxton, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Room was clean except for what seems to be the normal amount of black mold around the tub/shower in Louisiana. Not disgusting but noticeable. Staff average. Atrium leading to casino huge and very nice. Free parking, $5 valet parking weekdays, $8 weekends.

Room Tip: Ask for room with river view, especially 304, 404, etc which are corner rooms with windows facing ri...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Raleigh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

We arrived at the Belle of Baton Rouge in mid-February for an event at the Rivercenter. Granted, we were there about two weeks before Lent and so I gather right in the midst of Mardi Gras, so the whole area was loud, excited, and very fun! Seriously - parades every hour or so and cars couldn't get through! We had our 6 month old son with us, and not all the rooms come with mini-refrigerators, so I was a bit stressed as I had all his milk with me with a cooler that was quickly thawing! I would totally say this is an average hotel with a (very smoky) casino, except that the guy that runs the front little store area searched tirelessly to get us a mini-fridge! Totally changed our view of the hotel and was very much appreciated that someone would go to so much trouble for us! We will definitely stay there again thanks to him! So this is also a casino, so you had to pay for your breakfast (which, if you know me, you know I'm ALL about the continental breakfast) but the buffet in the middle of the hotel was really good - biscuits and gravy, bacon and sausage, eggs....definitely worth the cost!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family