“getting better”

Belle of Baton Rouge Casino & Hotel
Ranked #64 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Reviewed 7 February 2010

Twice as good as last years stay, but still needs improvement. I am forced to stay at this hotel every year for a Mardi Gras event. Every year I write a review and blast the poor service at this property. Well this year it was twice as good as last year, but still needs attention. This hotel knows it will be completely occupied these dates every year. The local Mardi Gras Krewes fill up the downtown hotels. So not having enough staff is inexcusable. The rooms are fine, it is the service that is poor.

The check in process had improved 100% over previous years. Keys were made up in advance and we didn't have to wait 45 minutes to check in. Check out was just as easy. Thanks for the effort. That's it for the improvements.

Suggestions:
If you are going to have Valet Parking, then have ATTENDANTS!! Otherwise do away with it. You can't get them to take your car and you can't get them to retrieve your car. So why have it.

If you are going to have a bar, then STAFF IT!! Closing the bar at 10:15 PM when it is completely full of thirsty patrons makes no sense. Probably the only bar in South Louisiana to EVER close at 10:15 PM. An absolute disgrace to the legacy of the area. It is Mardi Gras, people are inclined to DRINK!! Let them spend their money!!

If you are going to have bathrooms and inside plumbing, then have the amenities needed. Very few people have stayed at more hotels than me and this was the first time I didn't have any soap in the bathroom. A very simple task, and easy to correct. Everywhere but this Sheraton.

If you are going to have a Concierge Floor, then have a Concierge!!

They are making improvements here. However, at the current rate of improvement, I'll be too old or dead before they reach my expectations of a Sheraton property.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 January 2010

Not the best of places....if parking in the covered parking lot that was for both the casino and hotel, it is located in the worst area for both, and there is really no direction of how to enter the hotel from it. The bed was comfortable; however, noisy guests that I heard until well after 2 A.M. coming back to their rooms and then having to listen to staff talking very loudly out in the hall at 7 A.M. was enough to make me get out of town earlier than I planned.
Bathroom is very small, the lighting is poor, there were two black hairs on the sink vanity (not mine), no stopper in the sink, and the tub filled with water as I was taking a shower. Upon checkout, I wasn't even asked if I enjoyed my stay. I'll try not to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 January 2010

Very nice room. Typical to a Sheraton. The bathroom is ridiculously small, you actually have to stand on the side of the toilet to shut the door to the bathroom. The door to the bathroom is maybe one inch from the front of the toilet, so its difficult to shut the door. The hotel should really install pocket doors.

Otherwise perfect for one night.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2009

First let me say that this was a decent hotel and served my purposes. It was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the restaurants were good. The location was where I needed to be, but I wouldn't have wanted to be outside too late. The issue I had though was the tub. The bottom of it was almost rounded, and I fell in the tub because of this. They credited me $50, but since it was a business trip it didn't really benefit me any, and the knot is still on my shin over a month later! And I know it wasn't just me being clumsy because another person in my group also fell in their tub due to the same reason. They should definitely leave a bathmat in the bathroom as so many hotels do!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank ACoolJeweledMoon
Reviewed 1 November 2009

We stay here every year for the Spanishtown Mardi Gras Ball. The hotel is now totally non-smoking! Yippee! The rooms are clean, but the bathrooms are small. When we checked in this time, our room was not ready yet. They gave us another more expensive room for the same price! They apologized for not having the room ready.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2009

In Baton Rouge on business. Wound up parking in the Casino parking garage, as it wasn't apparent where I should park -- It's free, but I certainly didn't feel safe walking from the car at night over to the hotel. The hotel and convention center looked like it probably was a jewel at one time, but it seemed rather depressing, as it was a vacant shell when I was there (only a couple of stragglers to the casino).
It's basically an average-at-best hotel -- it will do the trick, but won't impress. Front reception was very nice and was lucky enough to be bumped up to the concierge floor. The attendant on the floor was nice enough to allow me in to grab a quick drink, even though she was in the middle of closing it down to head home for the night.
Didn't like the fact that the curtains are designed not to close.
Overall, I would stay here again, but it's not a place I would rave about.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Erick A, Owner at Belle of Baton Rouge Casino & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2015

Bobby_Bluenoser, it's disappointing to hear you didn't full enjoy yourself while you were staying in Baton Rouge, but we appreciate you staying with us and sharing your feedback. We want our guests to feel welcome and comfortable here, and overall it sounds like we hit the mark. Anytime you're in town whether for business or pleasure we'd be happy to welcome you back. Hopefully you'll have a little more free time to enjoy yourself!

Best wishes,
Belle of Baton Rouge Casino Hotel

Reviewed 25 September 2009

I stayed at the Sheraton Baton Rouge Convention Center as a female travelling alone. Typically, this doesn't bother me, but cabs are not allowed to drop you off at the front door; they have to drop you off at the back of the hotel across from the parking garage near the Casino entrance.
What sense this makes I have no idea; there are no cabs waiting for rides, so the front desk has to call for you. No big deal, but the back of the hotel at 7 am is deserted. At least waiting in the front you have the bell men and front desk staff in proximity. Standing there by myself, ( with nothing to sit on I might add ) made me a tad bit cranky. The second morning, the cab was very late and I had to troop back over to the front desk, check on the cab and THEN troop back to the far end of the hotel to wait for the cab. Even in September Baton Rouge is EXTREMELY humid and by the time I was done I wanted to change my clothes.

I was told by all the cabbies that the GM had mandated this change; Sir I would recommend you reevaluate your idea. From this frequent travellers point of view it is avery midguided. It honestly would almost make me reconsider staying at the Sheraton again because it REALLY was an unnecessary hassle.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business