“Terrible Stay!”

Ranked #71 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Liberty, Texas
“Terrible Stay!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We booked 2 rooms for 1 night. Holes in the bed spread, asked for extra towels and when they brought them, the maintenance/housekeeping person just walked right intot he room without knocking. One of the clerks was very rude. Broken appliances thrown in the grass, trashy looking on the sides and in the back. Very nice looking in front. Doors looked like they had been kicked in, no security lock (it was broken). We put a chair under the door just to feel safe that night.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
magnusonhotelbatonro, Webmaster at Magnuson Hotel - Baton Rouge, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying with us despite the failings you mentioned. I’m terribly sorry if we fell short of your expectations in any way. You caught us at a time when several maintenance tasks around the hotel were undone, but we’re involved in a continual improvement process and have already addressed most of those. You will be most welcome here upon your return and you will find a nicer experience.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed here for business. Found the staff to be very helpful. Housekeeping was fantastic. The property is an exterior corridor property but I really enjoyed the stay. Rooms were very clean. The property is a good price and also provides a simple breakfast! Thanks for the great customer service!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My daughter and I stayed here on our way to Texas for 1 night. We accidentally left our Apple Ipad in the room after we checked out and were too far away to return. I called the office and immediately the woman I spoke with went into the room to look for it. When I called back 5 minutes later she happily told me she had it. They were willing to ship it for me, but I simply retuned the following week on our way back to Atlanta and got it from them. Besides the initial woman I spoke with, I also spoke with another office staff member and the manager when I arrived the following week. All of them were very pleasant, nice, and professional to deal with. Now, as to the accomodations: I wasn't looking to spend a lot of money for a place to get a few hours sleep then be on the road again. I only wanted it to be clean and safe. I feel like this hotel fit the bill for what I was lookng for - no frills, just affordable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Collin c
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Rented a room at this hotel this weekend. Customer services there is HORRIBLE. I was only in the room for five minutes and the sheets was nasty, it had dirt streak marks on the sheets, pubic hair , and the even had a bugs in the sheets. Went to the front office to complain and customer service of the Manager was horrible. She was rude and had an attitude with herself. Was very displeased with the services and I called up there and made a complaint. I was hanged upon several times threaten to call the authorities and just down right disrespectful. Continue to call and asked to speak with another manager, and I spoke with that manager......still POOR customer services. They don't care who they or how they speak with customers. I would not recommend my DOG to sleep at that disrespectful un sanitized bug hotel; and that is mildly putting it in words. No I will not return there ever again. I am very displeased and very dissatisfied This hotel has very bad horrible customer Services.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Britt T, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel - Baton Rouge, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for your review of the Magnuson Hotel Baton Rouge. In response to your comments I will say that our Front Desk offers each arriving guest a 15 minute window to inspect a room and request a change for very nearly any reason. This is agreed to by each guest when signs the bottom of the Registration Form.

This guest checked into the room almost two hours prior to calling and suggesting that the room was not clean and up to her standards. This is when we offered to move the guest, and they refused to move, promptly asking for a refund. No refund will be given after the 15 minute window has expired.

With regard to the comment about hair and bugs in the bed, none were found upon checking the room the following morning, after the guest left.

When no refund was forthcoming the guest began to get loud and angry with my Front Desk Manger. Ultimately the call was ended by the FD Manger as the guest was loud enough for others to hear the conversation several feet away. The guest then said "we are leaving, and will never come back."

I did speak with the guest the next day or the day after that, and explained the procedure regarding the 15 minute window to which she replied: "We are regular guests at your hotel and that has never been the case before". I ended the call by apologizing to her for her experience and when asked about a refund reinforced my earlier comment "that there would be no refund".

We attempt to make all guest comfortable, and will accommodate most requests for a change of room within reason, even after the 15 minute window has elapsed.

Travellers are raving about these Baton Rouge hotels

Reviewed 29 March 2014

DO NOT!! Use a credit card to pay for stay here!!
They will take payments off your card unauthorized!!
Horrible service!!
Drug addicts, people asking strangers for drugs, prostitues walking around. Very noisy. NOT clean at all. Pest, insect, very unsanitary!
Mold on ceilings in restrooms, over beds on ceiling!
Law enforcement are there frequently!!
They really need to shut this place down!!
Management and staff very rude when confronted about unauthorized payment!!
Management threatened me!!!

• Stayed March 2014
magnusonhotelbatonro, Webmaster at Magnuson Hotel - Baton Rouge, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. We use every comment to help us get better. I’m sorry to hear that you experienced a payment issue. I hope that was resolved for you at the time of your stay, but please contact me directly if there are any unresolved issues. I’m sorry that your stay with us did not meet your standards, and I hope you’ll accept my sincerest apology that you were not 100 percent satisfied.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I have never experienced such terrible treatment at a hotel! I was in Baton Rouge for a weekend for my aunts wedding. I drove 8 hrs from north Texas and was extremely tired when we arrived. We seen this place & stopped to check in. We couldn't find the original hotel we wanted. The hotel manager Crystal was very rude!!!!! First of all the atmosphere in the room was bad! The place felt I cleaned! The bath tub was filthy! & the carpet looked as if it hadn't been cleaned in years! I went to the hotel manager Crystal to discuss the problem with her and she cussed at me. Horrible horrible service! She also kicked me out of the hotel & called the police because "she did not care about my problem with the hotel & did not want to deal with me" in her words! The woman I checked in with was very polite & courteous.

• Stayed February 2014
magnusonhotelbatonro, Webmaster at Magnuson Hotel - Baton Rouge, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry that you experienced a customer service issue at our hotel that was apparently caused by your actions. I apologize for any ways in which we fell short of your expectations. Comments like these are routinely evaluated to help us determine how we can improve staffing, improve our hotel and make other positive changes, and these comments will prove valuable to us. Again, I thank you for taking time make these comments.

Centreville, Virginia
Reviewed 11 December 2013

First room was a dump- we asked for another one and were moved. after moving in , we discovered there was no phone . Bath tub was dirty as well as walls. It smelled , but not as bad as first one. The sign outside gave a pr ice; however at check in. we were told that was price if we stayed a week.-- nightly rate was 25%. more. What a Come -on.!!
Morning meal was OK, however it is dificult to eat after the dirty room experience. You really worry if you may get sick. I will never stay here again and would not recommend it to my worst enemy!!

Room Tip: Don't take any room at this establishment