“Excellent hotel with odd parking situation”

Hampton Inn & Suites Baton Rouge Downtown
Ranked #1 of 78 Hotels in Baton Rouge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 August 2014

This is probably the nicest Hampton Inn i've ever stayed in. Booked a king corner room which has a balcony with views of the river. Room was very large had a couch, wet bar area and large desk that separated the living room area from the bed area. Bathroom had a separate sink area and then another area with a toilet and a larger walk in shower.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to spend a night in the room because it had a major smell issue. It smelled like what can best be described as dead animal/cabbage/natural gas. The hotel tried to clear it up with some febreeze but that only worked for about 20 minutes then I asked to be moved to another room. Unfortunately they did not have any more king corner rooms and I ended up with a two queen room. Which while it was your typical hotel room was actually never nice and clean.

The staff there was very nice and went out of there way to help me out with the room move.

The only negative with this place is the parking situation which i had read about previously and thought I was prepared for but was not. I tried to park in the garage upon my arrival and you cannot get in without a room key so I ended up having to back out of the garage into traffic and go around the block to the Hotel. There is a parking lot at the hotel however you can not park in it. There are three spaces for arriving guests to check in and get your key then you have to move to the garage. Parking is $9 a night. The Garage is shared with a ymca and a government building. Depending on when you arrive there are almost no spaces at all. If you leave in the morning and come back before 5pm good luck finding a space. When the IBM building is finished its only going to get worse. Also the spaces are super small and make parking with anything over a compact car a challenge.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Minorthr
Ben B, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Baton Rouge Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Good day minorthr,

First and foremost I want to thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn and Suites Baton Rouge Downtown. Secondly I want to thank you for your most recent review. We do hope that you did enjoy your stay overall and can understand your frustration with our parking situation but please know that this is a constant work in progress for the hotel and myself. The hotel does offer two options for parking due to our downtown local; a secure parking garage located directly across the street from the hotel as well as a limited number of VIP spots directly in front of the hotel both for a nominal fee. Here at the Hampton Inn and Suites Baton Rouge Downtown we take pride in standing behind the Hampton Inn 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and want to make sure that each and every one of our guest leaves our door completely satisfied. We do hope that the next time you find yourself in the Baton Rouge area, that we would have the opportunity to serve you again. If my staff or I can be of any assistance, now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Hampton Inn and Suites Baton Rouge Downtown

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Baton Rouge Downtown

Reviewed 29 August 2014

This was one of the best hotel visits I have ever experienced. The room was bright, comfortable and the decor was beautiful. The room was clean, bed was super comfortable. The only thing was I had a room with a balcony and it was a bit noisy and not as close to the water as I had hoped. Overall, I give this hotel a 10 and pray that all Hampton Inns will take a lesson from them.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
1  Thank Carmelite P

Greetings from Cajun Country Carmelite P,

Greetings from Baton Rouge! Let me first and foremost take a moment to thank you for your most recent review. I also want to thank you for choosing our hotel during your most recent visit to Baton Rouge. We want to ensure that each and everyone of our guests are 100% satisfied during their stay and afterwards! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!. We love being able to offer our guests our unique blend of Southern charm and hospitality and I will be sure to pass on your review our staff! If my staff or I can be of any assistance to you now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us! Thank you again!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

This Hampton is simply beautiful and the service was great during our two-night stay. It is located downtown and within walking distance to several historical attractions, museums and quite a few restaurants. The breakfast was a cut above what we usually have at Hamptons and the setting of the breakfast area is really attractive. We booked a corner suite with a wrap-around balcony. We had a great view of the river and all the barge activity, which we found very interesting to watch. One thing to note is that there is major construction catty-corrner from the hotel (between the hotel and the river) and that interrupted our view somewhat, but my husband loves to watch construction and he actually enjoyed seeing it. You can park for $9 a night in the garage across the street or pay $15 to park in the lot right by the front door. It is definitely worth the extra cost to park there.
This is a great place to stay in Baton Rouge!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Desertbluff

Greetings from Baton Rouge Desertbluff,

Reviewed 25 August 2014

First I like to say how friendly Steve at the front desk when we arrived. He was extremely personable and made us feel welcome. The room was beautiful, very clean, large bath area and plenty of towel. All the service personnel were extremely nice and helpful. Recommended a great restaurant that we really enjoyed and loved that we could walk around downtown.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan M

Good day Susan M,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Just walking in the door, you will quickly notice that this is definitely a very special Hampton Inn. They clearly spared no expense when building this property. Everything down to the smallest details have been perfected here. From a great location, well-appointed rooms, and an awesome staff, you will not be sad you chose to stay here. No need to splurge for the "great" Renaissance down by the mall. The Hampton Inn is the way to go in Baton Rouge, and is convenient to get almost anywhere in town in a timely manner.

The few times I have been here, the breakfast has not been the same couple of items, but instead rotates with great creativity and variety, while allowing health-nuts to eat good with alternatives such as turkey bacon offered.

The rooms offer large TVs (no PPV, but you can plug in your laptop with your own cables and watch Netflix), walk-in showers, and other modern amenities. The hotel also offers complimentary wifi. The only thing this property is missing with the awesome view of the Mississippi River it has is a roof-top pool. Also, it should be noted that the fitness center is not 24/7 like they are in most hotels.

Being this is a downtown area, parking is not complimentary. The garage across the street is well-secured and convenient. This must be a state owned garage as I frequently saw State Police patrolling inside the garage.

In the many places I have stayed at in Baton Rouge, this is definitely the best place hotel in all aspects. You cannot beat what they have to offer at the great value Hampton Inn offers.

Room Tip: Anything with a view is great! Rooms on the first floor have much larger windows.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank joepercussion

Bonjour joepercussion!

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Room was nice, clean, large shower, plenty of towels, ac on super cold at arrival which helped the opposing swelter outside. The check in was fast, impressive new interior, area around the hotel had obviously received a recent update. Hotel was located along the river where there is a park and river walk, great place for a morning jog. Several places to eat and site see were close. Parking was$14 for the lot or$9 in the garage. Free parking was available on the street, if you can find it. Full breakfast was available in the morning. There is currently construction on the north west corner. I'm not sure if they started early or not, we were up on sat. At 530 and on Sunday by 8, both days construction seemed to start after. However, DON'T STAY ON THE PARKING SIDE! Freaking 2 story rooftop bar in the lot played horrible live music until 2am!! Acoustics were terrible! It sounded like loud, bad, guitar accompanied karaoke! They should have warned us! I thought, wow, that's why everything is so clean and nice, they are trying to make up for this horrible bar!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lani c

Dear Lani C,

Greetings from Baton Rouge! Let me first and foremost take a moment to thank you for your most recent review. I also want to thank you for choosing our hotel during your most recent visit to Baton Rouge. We want to ensure that each and everyone of our guests are 100% satisfied during their stay and afterwards! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel but would like to apologize that you had an unpleasant experience. Being in a downtown locale does present some challenges but we hope that our location and hotel more than make up for it. We love being able to offer our guests our unique blend of Southern charm and hospitality and I will be sure to pass on your review our staff! If my staff or I can be of any assistance to you now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us! Thank you again!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

It's a Hampton Inn, so it's clean, folks are friendly, they offer a free breakfast - all standard Hampton stuff. What sets it apart a bit is the location one block off the Mississippi River within easy walking distance of all downtown Baton Rouge has to offer...which turns out is quite a bit these days. An easy strike to LSU and the football stadium, easy access to the airport, and a direct shot to points north if you feel the need to see the 'real' Baton Rouge away from tourist stops.

Room Tip: Up as high as you can get and facing the river...ask for a balcony room too.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Ben B, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Baton Rouge Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Bonjour lukejames52,

Let me first and foremost take a moment to thank you for your most recent review. I also want to thank you for choosing our hotel during your most recent visit to Baton Rouge. We want to ensure that each and everyone of our guests are 100% satisfied during their stay and afterwards! We also wanted to let you know that our downtown is growing by leaps and bounds over with additional restaurants and attractions expected to open over the course of the next few months. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!. We love being able to offer our guests our unique blend of Southern charm and hospitality and I will be sure to pass on your review our staff! If my staff or I can be of any assistance to you now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us! Thank you again!