“An escape to a lil change”
Review of Zorbas Bistro

Zorbas Bistro
Ranked #71 of 1,068 Restaurants in Baton Rouge
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

It never really dawned on me that the gyros I have eaten are not genuine Greek, but Lebanese. It's like the difference between Chinese and Vietnamese. Of course there are many similarities, but the seasoning and cooking style varies enough to differentiate. First, we entered into a bustling lil area at the beginning of dinner rush. The staff was very welcoming and informed. We started with the fried calamari...good seasoning but overfried.It would have been less rubbery if the cooking time was s few minutes less. Along with the calamari, lemon slices and garlic cloves were fried. My husband had the gyro plate, (be aware there is no additional salad to put on your gyro as customarily given at Lebanese locations like Alabasha/cafe Phoenicia. The grilled pita are cut into strips, which gives it a nice signature. I ordered the mousaka, which is similar to a casserole: hamburger, potatoe slices, cream and cheese on top. Not bad since I never have had it before. For dessert, we had the kataifi, a nice light custard with a shredded coconut crust -lightly drizzled with honey...reminded me of a girl scout cookie (Carmel delites/ samosa). The Greek ice tea was aromatic- light and not overwhelming with only two pine seeds!

We enjoyed the ambiance, the area is a bit small- filled with food and chatty diners, but that's okay because that's the experience of it all.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

We stumbled on this gem based on TripAdvisor reviews and it was wonderful. We live in another town and were looking for something that was not a chain. Zorbas is tucked away in a strip shopping center. It was busy but the wait was just as predicted - about 20 minutes, so we had a drink at the bar. I suggest having the house specialty appetizer - cheese saganaki, Greek kasseri cheese flambe' with ouzo at the table, and put out with lemon juice. I could make a meal on that alone. The menu had a variety of authentic dishes along with some specials of the night. All good restaurants in Louisiana will have a seafood special. And don't skip dessert! Zorba's is small and cozy and nicely decorated. The staff is friendly and attentive. The owner was there jumping in to fill any gap he perceived. We will definitely go back.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I was a regular patron at Zorbas first Baton Rouge location and I'm delighted they are back with us. In all our travels, I've not had a more pleasing Greek dinner than here. The food is fresh and delicious, the service impeccable. Thank you for choosing Baton Rouge again, we're glad you're back!

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We enjoyed eating at Zorba's when it was opened in the late 90's in Baton Rouge, were sad when it closed, and very happy when they opened this location recently. The only place around for real Greek food - not the "sort of Greek" you get at the Lebanese/Greek places - and it does not disappoint. The Feta cheese, meats, olives, seafood, all excellent. The Lamb Carpaccio is not to be missed - order two so you don't have to share. An added plus, they'll prepare a nice kid's dish - Greek food, not a hot dog or pizza.

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Mom took me here for my birthday.. Had a reservation and had to wait 15 minutes for a table. I was fine with that bc the rest of our group wasn't there yet. Ordered the grilled haloomie cheese with garlic and olive oil- superb! The dolmadas- SO GREAT!! Combination souvlaki - Delish! The gyro meat was so thin and kinda crunchy on the edges just like I like! Oh and get the Greek tea to drink! I would definitely eat here again and totally recommend this place! Owner was there also, friendly staff, quick service, very nice. Dessert! Baklava - delicious! Chocolate mousse cake thing- SO GOOD!