“Historic property”

Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center
Ranked #5 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
“Historic property”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were in town for a concert and decided to stay for the weekend. Loyal to the Hilton brand, we found this historic property in the downtown area, right along the Mississippi River. The weekends come alive in this town. The hotel itself was very well maintained. Is currently under renovation which I couldn't tell it needed, but I'm sure will only enhance the stay. Nice price, good food, nice staff.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the corner rooms. That end of the hotel is the historic side, the other side was an a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BDoubleU80

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
New Roads, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Husband and I stayed here because we didn't want to worry about driving home from a party downtown. Quick check-in, clean all-around, friendly staff, great food and bar, and awesome location--in walking distance to and from wedding venues/mardi gras ball venues/ downtown events/ and great restaurants.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Even tho they were in the middle of remodeling I wouldn't trade my stay for anywhere else. Staff was extremely friendly, remembered my name even! Beautiful art deco hotel with lots of history. The staff made it special and amazing--yes I repeated it because they made that big of an impression. Bar was nice and good breakfast. Great location. Can't wait to go back after the remodel!

• Stayed July 2014
New York
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I've stayed at this property every summer for a work conference for the last three years. My latest stay was the best yet. The hotel is an old property, but is newly renovated since I stayed there last year. The front desk staff is very kind and professional. The rooms are a little small, but that is typical of an older property. The location downtown is very convenient for where I work. My favorite part of this hotel is the rooftop pool overlooking the Mississippi River. There were no other guests up there, so I had the whole pool to myself all three days I was in town. There is also a Viking Cooking School next to the pool however I didn't try that out. The food at the hotel was delicious. There is also a little restaurant just one block away called Poor Boy Lloyd's. I highly suggest eating there for some delicious shrimp po boys and alligator sausage. I had a wonderful visit at this property and will definitely stay there again next summer.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for six weeks in May and June of 2014. I was in town for business. I liked the hotel overall. I enjoyed the old world charm and especially the location right on the water. It was touch and go at first. The first room I was assigned was newly renovated, but there were no drawers to be found in the room, and I was there for a long stay with lots of clothes. The recent renovations also left the bathroom door unable to open all the way. It was blocked by the toilet, when made the toilet unusable unless the door was fully closed.

Management was helpful in finding a different room, and I ended up with a large two-bed room on the river side, which was great. I declined a couple of rooms because there was no reading chair or lamp, which I found odd. It would mean also sitting on the bed or at the desk, if not sleeping.

I found the staff at the hotel a bit "under". By this I mean everyone was young and unseasoned, almost clumsy. Managers on Duty and reservationists were either students, or recent graduates who made sincere efforts to be professional, but they lacked the polish a hotel of this caliber requires. For example, in the very elegant restaurant, hostesses and servers were on the level of food handlers at a fast food restaurant. This is too harsh a criticism for some of the servers, but on the night I dined alone in an almost-empty restaurant, I ordered a steak and had to ask the server to clear the table of unneeded place settings. To make matters worse, my baked potato was served with the toppings on the side, as requested, but they were in small, clear, lidded, plastic take-away containers. I told the waiter a restaurant of this type, which attempted to display elegance, should not serve condiments in to-go cups.

Other than the young, unseasoned, unpolished staff, I enjoyed my stay at the Hilton and would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Germantown, Tennessee
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My fiancee and I recently traveled to Baton Rouge and this hotel for our friends' wedding. The reception was in the hotel ballroom overlooking the MS river and it was incredible. The room was also overlooking the river and everything was great to us. Granted, we did not spend more than 7 hours in the room and we were asleep for most of it! However, the bed was really comfortable and and all the amenities seemed befitting of a Hilton hotel. I definitely recommend the river view rooms. Plus, the hotel is located in a fun area with a good night life and some cultural attractions such as a local Food Tour that we wished we had time to experience. The staff all seemed friendly and helpful, and if we go back to BR, we will consider this hotel again regardless of whether we are there for a wedding reception.

Room Tip: Request a riverside room, and I'm sure higher floors are quieter!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Abbeville, Louisiana
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel is not yet ready for primetime.
The staff was very nice and professional but the physical property needs improvement.
The bar is small but A+
The breakfast buffet is A+
The Community Coffee shop is fine when it's open, which isn't often B
The rooms are not all stocked well or operating properly C+
The location is A+
The view from rooms opposite of the river is nothing special. The trash dumpsters are likely to wake you up B

My room had a broken TV and only 1 roll of toilet tissue. Im sorry, but that fails to meet minimum Hilton standards but I must say the staff resolved these issues.. I'll stay here again, but I'll give them time to fix the flaws first.

Room Tip: Get a riverfront room if you can. You wont be awakened at dawn by trash trucks dropping dumpsters o...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business