“Front Desk was rude”

Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center
Ranked #9 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I was very unhappy that when I had to check out early I was charged an additional $50. I had called central reservations the day before I arrived, told them I might have to shorten my trip due to some family health issues asked them if that would be any problem checking out early and was told that would not be an issue - just let the front desk know that morning. I did and the front desk person was very rude, did not care that I had called reservations, told me I should have called the hotel directly and I would be charged a $50 early check out fee. I am very disappointed with the attitude of the staff.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
1  Thank Victoria L
Marcus H, Assistant General Manager at Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Victoria,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. We are sorry to hear that you had to cut your stay with us short and that our early check-out policy did not meet your needs. I welcome you to contact our offices privately to discuss further how to make this right. We try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel, and hope that next time you are in the area you will consider staying with us again.

Marcus Hennigan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,158)

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We recently stayed here. This hotel very classy. We enjoy the extra attention. We arrived a bit early and could not check in - no biggie - the lobby was very enjoyable. we explored the area there was a park just across the street and the river just across the street.
There were several pre-wedding parties in the lobby. I enjoyed seeing all the happy groomsmen and father of the bride.
At 3pm I went to the desk and asked about our room - still not available - but Greg M(?) quickly offered us a free drink in the bar. Thank you Greg M(?).
After about an 1/2 hr in the bar, our room was ready - that's when I met Desmond. Not only did he greet us w/a nice smile, he also upgraded us to a room w/a wonder view - a great balcony which over looks the pool area and the Mississippi River.
We enjoyed the pool w/a awesome view of the bridge. We also watch tug boats move barges.

After a quick swim, we returned to our room and ordered room service. The food from the Kingfish restaurant was beyond our expectations.

The room was clean (bit small) but w/all the other fabulous amenities it make this an experience to remember.

Hat's Off to all the staff of this Hilton Hotel.

BTY they are pet friendly!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were in town for a concert and decided to stay for the weekend. Loyal to the Hilton brand, we found this historic property in the downtown area, right along the Mississippi River. The weekends come alive in this town. The hotel itself was very well maintained. Is currently under renovation which I couldn't tell it needed, but I'm sure will only enhance the stay. Nice price, good food, nice staff.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the corner rooms. That end of the hotel is the historic side, the other side was an a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BDoubleU80
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Husband and I stayed here because we didn't want to worry about driving home from a party downtown. Quick check-in, clean all-around, friendly staff, great food and bar, and awesome location--in walking distance to and from wedding venues/mardi gras ball venues/ downtown events/ and great restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Even tho they were in the middle of remodeling I wouldn't trade my stay for anywhere else. Staff was extremely friendly, remembered my name even! Beautiful art deco hotel with lots of history. The staff made it special and amazing--yes I repeated it because they made that big of an impression. Bar was nice and good breakfast. Great location. Can't wait to go back after the remodel!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I've stayed at this property every summer for a work conference for the last three years. My latest stay was the best yet. The hotel is an old property, but is newly renovated since I stayed there last year. The front desk staff is very kind and professional. The rooms are a little small, but that is typical of an older property. The location downtown is very convenient for where I work. My favorite part of this hotel is the rooftop pool overlooking the Mississippi River. There were no other guests up there, so I had the whole pool to myself all three days I was in town. There is also a Viking Cooking School next to the pool however I didn't try that out. The food at the hotel was delicious. There is also a little restaurant just one block away called Poor Boy Lloyd's. I highly suggest eating there for some delicious shrimp po boys and alligator sausage. I had a wonderful visit at this property and will definitely stay there again next summer.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for six weeks in May and June of 2014. I was in town for business. I liked the hotel overall. I enjoyed the old world charm and especially the location right on the water. It was touch and go at first. The first room I was assigned was newly renovated, but there were no drawers to be found in the room, and I was there for a long stay with lots of clothes. The recent renovations also left the bathroom door unable to open all the way. It was blocked by the toilet, when made the toilet unusable unless the door was fully closed.

Management was helpful in finding a different room, and I ended up with a large two-bed room on the river side, which was great. I declined a couple of rooms because there was no reading chair or lamp, which I found odd. It would mean also sitting on the bed or at the desk, if not sleeping.

I found the staff at the hotel a bit "under". By this I mean everyone was young and unseasoned, almost clumsy. Managers on Duty and reservationists were either students, or recent graduates who made sincere efforts to be professional, but they lacked the polish a hotel of this caliber requires. For example, in the very elegant restaurant, hostesses and servers were on the level of food handlers at a fast food restaurant. This is too harsh a criticism for some of the servers, but on the night I dined alone in an almost-empty restaurant, I ordered a steak and had to ask the server to clear the table of unneeded place settings. To make matters worse, my baked potato was served with the toppings on the side, as requested, but they were in small, clear, lidded, plastic take-away containers. I told the waiter a restaurant of this type, which attempted to display elegance, should not serve condiments in to-go cups.

Other than the young, unseasoned, unpolished staff, I enjoyed my stay at the Hilton and would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business