“Great buffet for kids...and adults”

El Magey Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #114 of 1,036 Restaurants in Baton Rouge
Cuisines: Mexican
Baton Rouge, LA
“Great buffet for kids...and adults”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My 6 year old loves it because he can make his own taco salad, and because they have ice cream and fresh hot sopapillas for dessert. My 10 year old loves the chimichungas. I've tried almost everything on the menu, and it all tastes great. My favorite - I don't even know what it is - it's got pork, onions, bell pepper, and whole jalapenos. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water. I might have to go there for lunch today. Also, like another reviewer said, one day we got there late, the parking lot was full. We almost didn't go, but took a chance. It was crowded, but there was ample food and we were served our drinks immediately.

• Visited February 2014

Mint Hill, North Carolina
“A Mexican Buffet in Baton Rouge”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

After mass, my middle daughter offered to treat us all to lunch at a restaurant. She wanted something reasonably close and inexpensive. El Magey was a good fit. The food was reasonable and good tasting. The buffet selection was really quite good. Flautas, chimichunga, beef, chicken and cheese enchiladas, bbq chicken, grilled steak, pork, and chicken, the usual rice and beans as well as sopapillas, ice cream and more. Great comfort food for a dreary rainy Sunday. They also have a couple big-screens for viewing sports. The "downer" is that parking isn't that great, but then again, it's in a small strip mall on the southeast side of I-10. The price for children is great too. For kids under 12, it's $0.75 times their age. This was a nice change.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Charles P
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Wonderful buffet”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I've been meaning to go to this place for a long time. I've always heard it was good. We went on a Saturday at around 1:30. I thought it might be too late, but the place was full. The food was excellent. It was all hot, which is not always the case at buffets. There was a great selection of foods. There were enchilladas (beef, cheese and sour cream), tacos, flautas, chimichangas, casodillas, guac, menudo and lots more. I couldn't try it all, but what I did try was really good. I was also impressed with the dessert bar. They had sopapillas, fried plantanes, tres leches cake, flan, blue bell ice cream and a few other things. The server was also very friendly and the atmosphere was good and clean. I can't wait to return and get another beef enchillada and some tres leches.

• Visited November 2013
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Order from the menu”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

The buffet is their big selling point, but like all buffets, once you've been a few times, you've eaten it all. The menu, on the other hand, is far superior -- and they serve freshly-made pupusas.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Dr_QBatonRouge
Baton Rouge
“Have always been fond of El Maguey”
Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

Look..okay..the rating options don't give you much choice between average and very good and I don't mean to dismiss this friendly and cosy little establishment as just average. However I will say that if you want something non buffet then order off the menu..it's better. If you sometimes prefer to eat out at a quiet and non pretentious chain restaurant and you're in the mood for some decent Mexican food then drop in. El Maguey is a thoroughly acceptable neighborhood restaurant...a little out of the way in an anonymous little strip of businesses ..but..good for appreciative locals.

1 Thank MikeLBatonRouge