“Clean & Spacious Room, Comfortable Bed, Super Helpful Staff”

Baton Rouge Marriott
Ranked #45 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Clean & Spacious Room, Comfortable Bed, Super Helpful Staff”
Reviewed 27 October 2010

Wrapping up a long day on the road, heading back home to New Orleans, exhaustion took hold and I realized I had to stop for the night, despite being so close to my destination. I saw the Marriott off the highway, and headed there. The women at the front desk were incredibly helpful and friendly. I had a key in my hand in less than five minutes. The next morning, when my bill was slipped under my door, I discovered that (perhaps out of pity, I don't know) they had given me a 20% discount.

The room was large, and maybe the cleanest hotel room I have ever been in. The bed was very comfortable. The woman who answered the phone and took down my request for a wake-up call was extremely courteous, and the call came on time.

The only negative is that the hotel is right next to I-10, and we could hear the traffic all night, even up on the 9th floor. I suppose it was no different from what you would hear staying a downtown hotel in any major city, but one does not necessarily associate Baton Rouge with unmitigated hustle and bustle, particularly at all hours of the night. And, in fact, I have stayed at the Baton Rouge Hilton, which is downtown, and did not have the same experience with outside noise. But all in all, a minor blip to a wonderful stay when I needed it most.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 21 July 2010

Before I switched to the Hilton hotel I lived at the Marriot Hotel for 3 months. I was cared for at best. All the staff members would know my name as soon as I walked in, went into the concierge lounge, dined in at the restaurant, or simply went to the front desk for anything I needed. They were always more than willing to go out of their way to accommodate me at best.

Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
biloxi
Reviewed 29 March 2010

I travel alot - and for this stay nothing seen to go right.
As we unloaded our luggage to enter hotel (9 pm), my family and I were approached in parking lot unloading car by someone wanting money. Very uncomfortable! I alerted staff (at check in-clerk) and was informed that this happens all the time at their hotel and that there is no security until 10 pm.
The hot tub was not working - and was told that it had been turned off due to the cold weather (3 weeks prior).. and not turned back on.
The hotel is conveniently located, but the noise from the highway and interior hallway traffic (people talking at normal levels) were very distracting especially from a Marriott Hotel product.
Finally, we had given the desk clerk upon check in a $100 Marriott Bons Bucks coupon to be applied to the guest room rate, but upon check-out it could not be located. Through some effort and warm conversation, we got the $100 applied to the room, but have wondered where the original certificate went ?
I do not intend to be back.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank golftraveler33
Louisiana
Reviewed 9 November 2009

Service was excellent. Staff was most helpful, going beyond just good service. Overall good experience.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank libby1983
Delray Beach, FL
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I stayed there on business for a couepl of day. Service and room was great. The concierge lounge and staff were fantastic. Easiky accesible to the highway and convenient.

Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank DelrayMitch
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviewed 1 April 2009

1. Service: I usually don't care much about the hotel's service unless it's particularly bad, but this one was a very pleasant surprise. Twice in this two night stay have hotel staff offered to do something for me that I didn't ask which was both helpful and unexpected. For example, I called down to inquire about wi-fi access when I only saw $10/24-hr charge option, and I only needed it for a few hours. Without my asking, they offered to have me accept the $10 charge and they would remove it immediately. Immediate and favorable solution. Likewise, my wife and I were heading down to the pool in the elevator. A staff member asked us if we would need additional towels and had them sent to our room before we got back. All around friendly service at every stage. Free lemondade and fruit-infused water in the lobby is another nice touch.

2. Location: Baton Rouge is a driving city, so you're either downtown or here. I've lived here for a few years and am returning, so I can say with confidence that the best food is definitely in this neighborhood, not downtown. Downtown has some of the worst restaurants in the city, in my opinion. This is also the nicest hotel in town away from the casinos in case you consider those smokey boats a negative like I do. However, the hotel's right next to the highway, and even on the 16th floor, I can hear the traffic loud and clear.

3. Rooms: Very spacious but bathrooms are very small. Older hotel that must have been updated but they never seemed to expand the bathroom.

4. Restaurant suggestions: For something upscale, try Mansur's on the Boulevard about a block away. For upscale Italian, try Gino's: left on College and just a few blocks past I-10. For casual, the best Lebanese in town is 2 blocks away at Albasha's. There's a Whole Foods further down the same street that has a casual eating area. I've never tried the restaurant in the hotel.

5. Pool/jacuzzi. Both are outside and just okay. They just finished a renovation, so hopefully they will make it somewhat more private again. They still need to re-put up a barrier so everyone coming from the parking lot can't see you in the pool or jacuzzi.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank BRTraveler-7
Irvine, CA
Reviewed 14 December 2008

I checked into the Marriott for a two-week business stay. I was surprised that a hotel of this size didn't have valet. It was only unfortunate in the sense that it snowed in Baton Rouge, and my rental car had no snow removing tools.

The lobby was very pretty and had gorgeous Christmas decorations. I appreciated walking in and out of the lobby when I had to be on travel during one of my favorite seasons. It is a good thing that the lobby is nice because the elevators are 35 years old, so sometimes you have to wait 7-8 minutes for an elevator ride.

The room was okay, but the hotel is showing some wear.

My two biggest complaints:
1) Internet services is $9.95/day and is VERY slow. Calling tech support doesn't help. They just blame your computer. I told them that the service constantly disconnects. They kept repeating the system was fine. I tried two computers without success.
2) The room service is awful. Just to make sure, I tried it six times. No matter what I ordered, it was below average.

Best things:
1) Free parking.
2) Friendly staff.

• Liked — Free parking.
  • Disliked — Horrible room service and poorly working internet services.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)