“Good In Some Respects, Disappointing In Others...”
Review of MainStay Suites

MainStay Suites
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Bossier City
Rowlett, Texas
“Good In Some Respects, Disappointing In Others...”
Reviewed 26 December 2012

It's really hard to write a review for this property. It's good in some respects, but quite a study in contrasts, as there are a number of things that make this property ... well ... weird.

Check-in was handled efficiently by a pleasant front desk clerk. The location is convenient - right off of I-20, and there is ample parking close to the room.

First, the good stuff:

The room itself was nicely sized with a surprisingly good floor plan. There was a full kitchen area, with a real, 4-burner stove with oven, full sized microwave, full sized refrigerator, and a full sized kitchen sink. Between the kitchen and the main living area was one of the best work areas that I've seen in any motel, and, in this case, it doubled as a dining table. The work space had ample room, small raised shelves, and 4 electrical outlets at tabletop level. The chair was comfortable as well.

The main living area had a fireplace, loveseat, and chair. The bed was in an adjacent area, and then, around the corner, was a dressing area and bathroom. The climate control worked quite well, and on a cold, damp night, it kept the room quite comfortable. The bed was comfortable, with 4 pillows of different textures.

OK. Now the weird stuff.

The room itself had a strong odor that can only be described as a "wet dog" smell. I don't know if there was something wrong - like mold or dampness - or if it was just that the previous guest may have had, well, a wet dog with him or her. I don't know. But the smell was very noticeable, and it didn't go away.

While the room was in generally good shape, the main entry door was quite scuffed and beat up, and outside, the trim around the door was gone and the room number itself was barely hanging on. There was evidence that they may be doing some exterior work, as I looked around and most of the units in my building had the same missing trim, and one of the units looked like it we being used as a storage area for building materials. I don't necessary count this as a negative; I mention it only because that's what I found.

The smoke detector and the carbon monoxide detectors were laying on the work table. They were not mounted. There was a battery in the smoke detector, but there was none in the carbon monoxide detector, and that unit was somewhat disassembled. Also on the work table was the remnants of what appeared to be some sort of network interfact device and, separately, a mini-USB charger. The lack of an operable, properly installed smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector was a concern. Perhaps they had been removed pending remodeling, but regardless of the reason, the room should not have been rented without these being installed and operational.

Overall:

Had the room not smelled like a wet dog and the safety equipment been installed properly, I probably would have rated this property 4 out of 5. Price wise, it was a good deal compared to other similarly styled properties, and the room itself was pretty comfortable. I did not notice anything of concern going on outside in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, but it was also Christmas Eve.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank step12dude

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
FORT WORTH
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I was on a road trip to West Monroe LA and for $62 a night is fine rooms actually are studios.
I stay in room 821 and i sleep very well, 4 pillows on a comfortable king size bed, kitchenette and bathroom was clean, big flat screen, AC super quiet and working good you may feel the floor weird when walk but i was tired. At least i cant ask for more. Its weird because the place use to be an apartment or studios complex
Only negative thing was the young ghetto punk guys around at 3am with saggy pants and smoking funny stuff.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank RIVERA-SANTIAGO R
Reviewed 25 November 2012

This place was very nasty. The room floor upstairs was dirty, all the floors really was nasty&dirty, the stairway was dirty and had crumbs on it. No extra tissue in the bathrooms,
towels, not much of anything really. We stayed here for five days housekeeping did not clean up not even one day. We put the dirty towels outside to be picked up but they just left them there day after day. We had to go to the office to pick up clean towels everyday. Clean the floors ourselfs. Make our own beds everyday. The staff here really sucks. Kitchen sink smelled like old trashcans. The kitchen it self was not stocked with everything that was needed. We was housekeeping while we was here.
~when I read the others reviews I said it can't be that bad!!! They been open for so long. BUT I WAS WRONG! !!!! ITS JUST THAT BAD.
Serious! !!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 25 October 2012

This hotel is an old Residence Inn that has being turned into a Main Stay but it is far from over or complete. There is much to be done.

The whole look of the complex is dirty and rundown. There was trash on the sidewalks and stairs. There seemed to be people living in the property full time.

My room which was quite large had the flat screen television hanging half off of the wall.. The furniture was dirty and worn. The front staff seemed a bit disinterested.

I support the hotel in their efforts to upgrade their property but I would urge them to hurry with the work. This hotel is not worth staying at until the work is done.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Terry, Mississippi
Reviewed 20 October 2012 via mobile

The Mainstay would be a descent choice for a construction worker in the area for the week. The place shows signs of wear tear. The motel is a group of closely situated buildings similar to lower quality patio homes. They are one bedroom suites with ample space including a double bed, a couch with sitting area and a full kitchen including dishwasher. The quality of accommodations is poor primarily due to wear and maintenance. Trash litters the sidewalks and there was a beer bottle sitting on the patio of our room. We booked this accommodation through a "name your own price" website that rated this place 2 1/2 stars. They missed the rating badly. A fair rating would have been 1 1/2 stars. Since we got a rate of $55/night, I feel we got our money's worth. However, I would not choose this place again for a one stopover. There are too many better choices in the area for a little higher price.

• Stayed October 2012
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Mainstay Suites in Bossier City Sucks !!!! Make sure you never stay there. Hotel was dirty and falling apart. We rented a 2 bedroom suite with 2 baths only put us 4 towels total. No mattress on the sofa bed, ran out of propane for the grill, wire brush to clean the grill looked like someone brushed a dog with it. We paid full price and got [--] service and filty - DON'T STAY THERE.
Called to complain said since we didn't notify them we would be more than one person (default setting on reservation system I guess - why would I get a room with 3 beds and 2 bathrooms???)
no recourse - I guess this is the only way I can get some satisfaction.

Thanks
Charlotte Clavier

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
North Richland Hills, Texas, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I booked this room through an online deal where they keep the hotel name secret until you actually book and pay for the trip, so I didn't really expect anything when I got there. I have to say that I really enjoyed my two night stay at this hotel. The room is very spacious, had a fireplace, flat screen tv mounted on the wall, nice size full kitchen with pots and pans, etc. Air conditioning worked perfectly, the room was very clean and the bed was super comfortable! The vanity area is a nice size as well. There is a free breakfast offered (the day we stayed they had sausage, omelets, waffles, bagels, cereal, grits or oatmeal, etc). Pool area is very nice, it actually lights up different colors which is really pretty at night. I really enjoyed my stay here and will definitely book again for my future stays to Shreveport/Bossier.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple