“Good for the price but...”
Review of MainStay Suites

MainStay Suites
Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Bossier City
Houma, Louisiana
“Good for the price but...”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Overall we were satisfied with the rooms. We had two rooms - a 2 bedroom suite and King Bed suite. The 2 bedroom suite was in pretty good condition. The king suite had a few issues. The bathroom wasnt too clean. There was mold surrounding the AC vent in the bathroom. The door that housed the AC unit was covered with dust and the vent cover was broken. The fridge had a smell when you opened it.

Would I stay there again.. Yes but not in that particular room unless they fix some of the issue.

Also.. dont expect to feed a family of 3 - there was only one fork, one spoon, and one knife.. :)

And the swimming pool and hot tub were closed for the season (to be opened May 1) but that thing was so disgusting that i dont recommend anyone swim in it even after its cleaned and opened. There was a thick slimy film covering the hot tub and both were so green you couldnt see the bottom.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dantespeak123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed 23 April 2013

My family and I needed a place to stay in while waiting to close on our home. What was supposed to be a week turned into 2. We started with a queen suite with sofa sleeper...first, there were TONS of visible water damage on the ceiling, the tv's picture is HORRIBLE, we had to jiggle the door handle to make it latch, it smelled of mildew around the bed, and the floors looked AND felt as if they only get a broom ran across it. After being there a few days it rained and low and behold our roof leaked(how it did on a bottom unit I don't know, but it did). After finding out we had to stay another week we asked for an upgraded room at a discounted price because of the leak in the other room. We were given a discount but were told "I'm not going to give a big one because it only rained one day!" We get to our "upgraded room" and the floors are even more disgusting. Food is stuck on the floor, there are dirty nasty pots and pans in the dishwasher, it feels like we're going to fall through the floor when walking, the tv is even more horrible, the closet doors downstairs are tore up, we try to use the microwave and it doesn't work, the upstairs window unit has a horribly nasty air filter sitting on top of it(not even in), and the curtains look as if they've been pulled down and "rigged" back up. We called to ask to have our microwave problem fixed, the floors cleaned and told them about the filter. 3 days later its not fixed, we were told that since we're extended stay guests housekeeping won't come do the floors until the intended time, and the filter was never addressed. We reused bath towels until they needed to be exchanged and when we asked for more we were handed towels that will barely cover up my 2 year old daughter because we were told "that's all we have right now". I wouldn't recommend ANYONE to stay here. The only thing updated looks to be that the outside was painted. I'm not even going to talk about the rude woman who I believe to be a manger who looks and acts like she hates her job. Only good thing about this place is they have complimentary breakfast and the waffles are pretty and the ladies running that we're really sweet.

• Stayed April 2013
Jackson, MS
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I was booked to this hotel through my company to do overnight work. I arrived about an hour and a half before I was supposed to have started. First, at check-in, they ask me for the corporate card that the reservation was booked with. I wouldn't have access to that because the company made the reservation through a travel representative. They settle that issue and I get my room key. I go to the room and its the WORST room I've ever seen. The headboard is pulled from the wall. More like ripped from the wall and it was covered up with the pillows. How could housekeeping NOT see this?? Next, the bathroom...the back of the toilet was broken and the toilet tissue holder was broken off the wall. I wasn't able to back to the desk to voice my complaints because I had to begin my shift. However, on my break, I called the hotel and informed them about the room and my request to change. I was initially told that no other rooms were available, but something would be worked out.

I returned to the hotel the following morning after my shift was complete around 7:00 a.m. I went to the desk and told them I had called several hours before about getting a different room, but I again was told that there were no rooms available. I was so frustrated and tired because of working all night. I returned to the room, but I couldn't rest because I didn't trust anything about that room. I refused to sleep on the bed because if they didn't care about fixing the headboard, I question the cleanliness of the room itself. They did call themselves sending maintenance to fix things, but nothing was really fixed. I sat in the lobby for a while to show that I wasn't going anywhere until I got a room. The GM did eventually find me another room. It was just a bit passed lunch time. It should have never come to that, nor should it have taken so long. Its interesting that the other 2 reps that work for the same company received penthouse suites and I had to argue to get a room that wasn't trashed. I have my suspicions, but I won't use this place to entertain such a forum. As a customer, I should have been given better service in a more expeditious amount of time.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We arrived on Sunday the 17th. The room we first checked into was not what the desk had told us it would be a month prior. Needing more space for our 6-day stay, we were then moved to a Penthouse. The room wasn't terrible and we unpacked again for the second time and prepared for our week. Upon waking Monday morning, we were astonished to see brown water in the floor in the kitchen. We couldn't tell what it was or where it came from. We alerted the front desk and long story short, moved into our 3rd room in 2 days. This was also a penthouse. We noticed in both rooms that the upstairs bathrooms were in worse conditions that the lower ones. The closet door was hanging off and the furniture had seen better days.
On Wednesday, we decided to warm up some chips in the broiler our oven. After 3 minutes, my friend started yelling "FIRE!"
I rushed from the bathroom and there were flames and smoke leaping from the stove top. We immediately contained the fire. Upon further inspection we could tell the oven hadn't been cleaned since Noah's flood, and that was the contributor to our excitement.

We won't stay here again and will find elsewhere.

On the bright side, the staff was very nice and accommodating. But that's not bright enough to get us to come back.

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

We loved the cute and cozy apartment style of the suite. The fireplace in our room was definitely cute and made it feel more like a home setting.

Overall our room was wonderful and a great homely type place that we WILL stay at again if we are in the area. But... keeping the room from 5 stars were a few small issues. Under the sink there was obviously water damage and the presence of mold of some kind. Given that they are in the process of remodeling I'll let it slide because I assume that they will fix it. We were in room 514 btw.

The closet door had all sorts of damage and the door on the left was not even attached to the overhead track. Again, with remodeling it's not a big deal.

There was a utility door next to the bathroom that had what looked like termite damage on the frame, but again, its minor and no biggie with remodeling.

In the bathroom, the first thing my husband noticed was that the toilet was not properly bolted down to the floor which is a huge potential leak hazard (he's a plumber) . And the ceiling above the shower had slight damage and the drain in the bathtub /shower was corroding bbut with remodeling I knew it would likely be taken care of.

Other than the issues listed the room was an excellent value and very clean and definitely worth the value!

We plan on staying here again

• Stayed March 2013
MainStay S, Guest Relations Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this review, 28 March 2015
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review regarding your stay at our extended stay hotel.
Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests.
Alexandria, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 1 March 2013

For a traveler without kids or a wife with me, I would recommend it if you want just the basics. Their rooms need some work but it is a comfortable bed and has flat screen TVs. Plus, I LOVE the fact they serve Community Coffee and are in walking distance of a great steak restaurant.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 February 2013

After reading reviews I was skeptical but the room was clean....housekeeping came twice daily....no problems with room at all...had toaster, microwave, coffee maker, utensils, and cookware...loved it...was quiet and i stayed down stairs...everything i needed was convenient....i stayed a whole week

• Stayed February 2013
MainStay S, General Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review regarding your stay at our hotel.
We hope to see you again soon!
Sincerely, Thank you. GM :)