All reviewspain perdulake martinone eyed catvery special placeswamp tourcooking classinteresting artworkhistoric housetop floorbeautiful experiencebayou countrywished we could have stayed longerwonderful staydelicious breakfastfront porchtwo nightswalt
Reviewed 27 August 2017

My wife and I had booked for two nights and when we arrived, we were greeted by Madeleine. She was not particularly warm or friendly, just factual. When she showed us the room, we had a shock.The bed was 6 x 4,6 ft . As I am 6'5", it was mission impossible . But, more than that, the place was dusty and i immediately started to cough (I am allergic to dust) . The bathroom contained a bath (if you can call it that way) that was tiny and almost ante-bellum . Now, I am not stupid and I have been to B&B time and again. I know you can't expect the same standards as in hotels . You have selected an alternative way of discovering places, but then again, you do expect a minimum set of standards and tidiness, at the very least. Even that was not there. I had no choice but to book a hotel on line and to tell Madeleine that we were leaving. Besides, the cuisine courses are not done by her, she has to call a lady and book her for an evening, which means it cannot happen the evening you get there, unless you have booked it in advance. The choice wes between two dishes (one creole preparation and I forgot hte other one). Too bad if you wanted to try crab cakes.
When I told her we were leaving, she offered the other room (we would have had to sleep in separate rooms). But the problem remained, as the other bed was also too small, the place was dusty and not up to standards.
A total disaster and a true disappointment.

Room Tip: Avoid thi splace at all cost, unless you love dust and small beds
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank patrickmalvaux
maisonmadeleine, Owner at Maison Madeleine, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Maison Madeleine, my family home, is a restored c.1840 French Creole home on the National Register of Historic Places adapted for modern day living with modern conveniences.

We strive to offer our guests a glimpse into the past in an authentic Louisiana home in a cypress swamp next to the birder's paradise, Lake Martin. The sweet scent of cypress, the wood eternal, and the serenity of the quiet country atmosphere are treasured amenities. Please see the May 2017 issue of Southern Living, "Adventures in Acadiana".

The antique Acadian Cypress bed, shown on the website, has a queen size mattress and was lengthened for my son who is 6'4".

The claw footed tub has been adapted to include a shower head.

The private cooking class is taught by a Cajun couple, in English or Cajun French, using authentic recipes from their grandmothers. It does need to be scheduled and the entree' chosen in advance. "Please contact Madeleine to book the cooking class" is stated on the website. It's a good idea to add a crab entree'. Look for "She-Crab Stew" as a seasonal, full moon special!

I stand on my excellent reviews as a testament to the warm and friendly atmosphere we have become known for since 2005.

Madeleine

Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

An 1840's elegantly restored cottage right in the heart of the swampland! Stunning!

Madeleine and Walt absolutely lovely and couldn't do enough to help while we were there.

Cottage was wonderful and breakfast to die for but lighting was poor (common for US though) and mattress wasn't the best!

It was an unforgettable experience!

Stayed: June 2017
maisonmadeleine, Owner at Maison Madeleine, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2017

Please let us know how you would improve the lighting and the mattress. We aim to please all of our guests :)

Madeleine

Reviewed 2 June 2017

It is rare to visit a bed and breakfast that takes you to another time in history and into another culture. Maison Madeleine surrounds you with a sense of what it was like to live in the mid 1800's in the bayou country but without the lack of comforts and conveniences we have today. The attention to detail in the reconstruction of this historic house plus the additions is amazing. The iron work, lamp fixtures, furniture, fireplaces, and wall hangings complete the journey for you. The experience is completed by the breakfast served every morning and by Madeline's amazing knowledge of history of her region. If you have visited Breaux Bridge and not stayed here-turn around and go back-you missed the best part!!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
maisonmadeleine, Owner at Maison Madeleine, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2017

Merci beaucoup!

Reviewed 6 January 2017

Our gratitude to other reviewers for their accurate descriptions of this lovely home. The setting is magical. We felt like we stepped into a page in a book. The home is beautifully designed and furnished and we felt like we had stepped back in time. Host Walt and hostess Madeleine will do anything you need to make your stay perfect. Their breakfasts were elegant and delicious. The room had so many special touches, like homemade cookies waiting in the room.

Yes, the steps are steeper than most stairs but having seen that noted by reviewers I packed a very small case for just what we needed for the 2 day stay. They will help you with luggage, however. I have arthritis in my leg but I was able to make the stairs by just going one at a time. It was worth the climb. The location is magical....right at the edge of the swamp. Truly, this was an experience we will always remember and hope to repeat. I thanked the host and hostess for all the work they did to make this kind of experience possible for folks like me. We spend our life making memories and this will be one of the most special ones!!!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
maisonmadeleine, Owner at Maison Madeleine, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2017

Merci beaucoup!!!

Reviewed 22 November 2016

This is a very special place to stay. The owners have done an outstanding job of making this historic home into a place of artful beauty. In addition to the historic, there are wonderful sculpture pieces in the garden by the owner's son. Madeline is a star, a charming and helpful host. Strongly recommend this property.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple