“Rustic but charming”
Review of Bayou Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Breaux Bridge
Bayou Cabins
Travelers Rest, South Carolina
“Rustic but charming”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This was the first real stop on a 26 day road trip from South Carolina to California and back. I was drawn to the descriptions of these cabins as well as the cultural experience of the Cajun breakfast.

We drove through a heavy downpour of rain before arriving and the bayou had encroached on the cabins. Our cabin on the hill was on the highest point, so was in no danger, but it was interesting to see the other cabin's hindquarters standing in the bayou.

The property is quite charming. Our kids commented that it reminded them of something from Disney World (the standard by which all things are measured in our family) except that this was "real". They had colored lights strung about and Cajun music playing to add to the charm. We also enjoyed the 300lb. crawfish.

The owners directed to a local restaurant for dinner, which was the true highlight of our stay. We got to experience some Cajun food, which was good; however, what I truly loved was when my teenage daughters decided to try their hand at the Cajun two-step when the live band started playing. They were self-conscious, but eager and started dancing with each other trying to mimic those more experienced around them. Within a few minutes a couple of older gentlemen saw their delimma and came to their rescue. They began dancing with my girls and showing them what to do. It was a priceless memory that my girls (nor I) will I ever forget.

That night, the rain came back again in spades. At first we rather enjoyed the sound of the rain on the tin roof. However, as the lightening and thunder increased and the rain picked up my wife began to wonder about the bayou rising and wondered about the people in the other cabins. Since she couldn't sleep through the storm she went out on the screen porch to watch the storm. I slept through the storm until a leak developed directly above my head! I wasn't willing to go down with the ship, so I abandoned my bed and joined my 10 year old son on the futon in the adjoining room.

The kids called it "adventure sleeping" and we all had a good attitude about it. It's probably a good thing it happened early in the trip while we were all still fresh and full of a sense of adventure.

As to the cabin itself, while we really enjoyed it, I think the important thing to keep in mind is having the right expectation. A 5-star resort this is not. It is rustic. It was clean, but like any old building it had it's own particular set of quirks, smells (not necessarily bad, just smelled like an antique store, to me), and squeaks. If you know what you are getting into and are looking for that, then you'll really enjoy it.

This was my 14 year old daughter's favorite stop on the trip (including Disneyland, the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, the Alamo and others).

Room Tip: We chose the Cabin on the Hill because we have a family of 5. It accommodated us very well.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank raccoontrails

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Ewing
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The cabins are in fact very nice with wonderful antiques. The grounds are pretty and there are some unique things to look at as you relax on your own deck. However, the cabins are very close together and the setting is not as rural as the web site indicates. The river is close by but can only be seen by a few cabins. Also, the highway is just 100 yards away and you can hear traffic. The French doughnuts are good. But, the host & hostess are wonderful people and go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

Room Tip: Read reviews!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We chose the Cypress Hide Away and enjoyed it very much.There are 14 cabins, and no two are alike. The bed is very comfortable in this cabin. Most of the cabins are very old, and were brought from other sites. There is nothing cookie cutter about this place; it is unique and very Cajun, and the owners are wonderful people. They'll fix you a hot breakfast on some mornings; ask about it when you call.

There are old farm implements, bicycles, wringer washers, and other interesting vintage items all around the place. Oh and there are antiques on some porches and in cabins. Our cabin had what looked to be an old fashioned vanity for a wash basin, complete with small mirror and bar for hanging towels. It's a little rustic (which I like) but very comfortable. There is an outdoor sitting area under the trees, where you can meet and visit other guests. There's a stage there too, so I'm thinking bands may play at times.

Right down the street is Pont Breaux restaurant, where you can eat, then listen to a live Cajun band at 7:00pm.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed 9 June 2013

OK, know that this is not a luxury hotel, beachfront, on an exotic island. What it IS is an amazing peek at what the local Cajun flavor/history is. Rocky and Lisa are your hosts. I cannot say enough positives about them ...better than relatives. They will be serving you breakfast in the main cabin each a.m. Good food and opportunities to sample their pork cracklin's and house made head cheese. There will be a bit of zingy spice in your eggs, enjoy! We were in cabin #4 and never used the key/locked it. 12 or so old historic unique cabins to pick from. Rates are good. Sit on the back porch and observe the Bayou Teche flowing along. This is THE crawdad capital of the world. Huge history, huge heart and home pride here. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Minden, Louisiana
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I worked with Lisa for over 6 months on my event for Memorial Day Weekend for a group of folks from all across the US. It was perfect for all of us. Lisa was very helpful and we enjoyed our stay very much. My bed was not the best but I didn't expect it too be. Hey folks this isn't a four star place it is old antique cabins and this is Cajun Country. It is a fun place and a great spot for a large group of folks that want to sit and hang out and be together and not spend a ton of money to do it. Lisa and her husband are great folks and would book it again anytime. We were a group of Motorcycle riding women and husbands so it was perfect for what we needed.

Room Tip: Some of the cabins are bigger than others just depends on what your needs are. Most of us loved our...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Lafayette, California
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I thought is was...well, okay. The site itself is beautiful. On a bayou....ummm...not so much. It's kind of on a mud puddle set beside a highway. For the price, it was alright. Highway noises all night long. Place was clean, well-kept and quaint. If you want a true bayou experience, check out someplace else. If you're on a budget, this works...if you squint real hard you can imagine you're on the bayou. .

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Andrea W
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We stayed at the Bayou Cabins in early March of this year, as an impromptu, frequent flyer getaway weekend. We were enchanted by this group of picturesque little cabins by the canal. Clean, comfortable, and funky in a good way! Someone has really given these little cabins some loving attention, and we just naturally felt welcome by the eclectic decor.
These were cozy accommodations, but for a couples weekend it was perfect.
Free breakfast by the owners and all sorts of fun memorabilia adorn the walls of the main cabin.
Not to mention the giant crawfish welcoming us in the central yard!
I cannot wait to go back! You could stay at a more generic hotel in the area that might be more spacious, with ubiquitous sports bar, and void of quirkiness, but it would be like ordering a fast food hamburger when you could have a pile of spicy boiled crawfish made to order- you might be a little freaked at first, but once you get into it, you are so blessedly happy.
We found our stay very restful, and liked the cool nights to help with sleeping. Our cabin was immaculately clean. The location is actually pretty damn convenient- we were not bothered by nearby commerce and we didn’t really notice the state highway out front.
The Bayou Cabins are a 4 minute walk away from another amazing discovery, “THE FRUIT STAND” which is in my top 3 favorite stores in the Universe. You can buy said fruit, but also spices (1 bag of Cayenne would be enough spice to supply Minnesota for the millennium, as our Uncle explained), moonshine, beer, take out, or sit down for some boiled shrimp…amazing!
You can also walk to Pont Breaux for nightly zydeco and food. We also very much liked McGee’s landing on the other side of the Levee near Henderson, a 20 minute drive away.

I am not sure how it would be in July when the air is like pudding or with mosquitos (not our favorite time to visit La in general). I have been misled by the offer of "charm" in lodging literature previously; in the case of the Bayou Cabins, it is a legitimate claim, I garontee!

Room Tip: Check online for what cabin looks fun to you!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Hampton Inn & Suites Lafayette
Maison des Amis
Maison des Amis
#7 of 7 in Breaux Bridge
Holiday Inn Express Breaux Bridge (Lafayette Area)

Been to Bayou Cabins? Share your experiences!