“Breakfast Gem”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Went for brunch. The Zydeco band was great along with the atmosphere. People dancing on the hardwood floor...young and old alike. Loved it. The food was good, but not blow-your-taste buds-away good. I would go back.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I visited Café Des Amis for dinner on a business trip I went on recently. The food was phenomenal! I had the Alligator and crawfish cheesecake which I highly recommend. Atmosphere is quaint and has an antique feel to it. Prices were relatively reasonable in my estimation. The only drawback I had is that if you're not drinking wine at dinner, the water glasses are small. In hindsight, I would have asked for a large glass since they refilled the alcoholic drinks much less frequently and therefore didn't make very many trips to the table to bring more water. Overall though the service and food was great!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Arriving at 8:30 AM we could not believe the zydeco band had started and the dance floor was packed. The energy in Cafe des Amis was vibrating with cajun culture. This was a highlight of our trip to Lafayette. Never before have I danced before dark, let alone before breakfast. By the time we got seated at our table we had worked up an appetite. I advise you not to go hungry because the wait on a Saturday morning will be around one hour or more. However, the time passes by quickly enjoying the music and dancing. If you don't dance, it is great people watching and the music will get your feet tapping. If you do want to dance, pack your cowboy boots and look like a local. Located just outside Lafayette it is a must to experience.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We stopped for lunch here, on recommendation of the Lonely Planet guidebook, after enjoying a swamp tour locally. The food was really good, spicy, good well and in generous portions. We started with BBQ king prawns, which were delicious, and a heaped bowl of fried crawfish. For mains we had tuna, which was outstanding and fabulous crawfish étouffée. The service is quite fast, I'd have preferred a slightly slower approach. But the food was excellent. They apparently do Zydeco and breakfast at the weekends, which sounds amazing.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Saturday morning breakfast will never be the same. Cafe des Amis is an amazing experience. At 8:00 am on a Saturday morning, there was a 30 minute wait to get in this place and a $5 cover charge. The reason, breakfast is an event here.

Zydeco music playing, people dancing and enjoying the house special Bloody Mary or mimosa. This s a place off fun and joy. Breakfast ranges from various flavors of grits to crawfish étouffée on a biscuit with eggs and grits.

If you only ever do this once, it is the one time you will truly remember.