“Deceiving Photos”
Review of Marina Motel

Marina Motel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Chalmette
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We went to Mardi Gras Feb 2012 and I searched and searched for a room and this was the only opening I could find. On the outside, in the front of the hotel it looked really nice; u can see some of the marina on the side. We stayed in the second floor where u could see the highway out front and some of the water. The room had a musty odor, the bed sheets were old, not as in unclean, but as in uncomfortable to sleep on because they looked old. I slept in all my clothes on top of the sheets because I was uncomfortable. The tables and chairs in the room were old, but there was a nice flat screen in the room, but half the channels didn't show. All the plugins were behind the bed or under the tables and TV stand and I was afraid to stick my hand back there. The bathroom was ok as far as cleanliness but the shower was old, had to have assistance with turning it on. There was a restaurant downstairs, but no one was in there and the 'casino' had entirely too much smoke in it...open a window please. I just cant believe we paid that much for the room and then found a cheaper room in the city the next night. I was definitely swindled by the photos that are uploaded online....Beware...the rooms are dingy, dark, and a musty version of the photos you are looking at online. The staff was pleasant and helpful though, very courteous; got some got tips on the best parades from the staff. I just think it was false advertising with the photos of the rooms

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank MaRyjanE8340319

Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is an older property that could definitely use updating. The room was clean. The blanket on the bed was old. The water pressure in the shower was not good. It's a shame because this could really be a nice place to stay if a few upgrades were made. The television was the nicest thing about the room. There is a nice view of the water. The sfaff was friendly. I ate in the cafe. The food was good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the water.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank 86goodintentions
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Personally, I love this place. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The facilities are totally workable for me and my employees. There's a coin laundry, wi-fi, and a great little down-home restaurant that serves breakfast and hot plate specials. We always feel welcome, and get great personalized service. Thanks for always making us feel welcome.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Galatas95
Reviewed 13 March 2011

My family and I stayed at this hotel for a baseball tournament. This place is filthy and disgusting. When you first walk in the smell hits you. Then the lower floor hall has dead roaches just lining the walls. We were on the second floor, where I didn't see any actual roaches. Our room was fairly clean, except for the numerous cobwebs. Our coach stayed across the hall. He didn't finish his drink the night before and woke up at 5:00 am to roaches swimming in his leftover drink. We toughed it out only because it was close to the ballpark and it was only one night, but I would definetly not stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank tforrest
MarinaMotelChalmette, Public Relations Manager at Marina Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I would like to sincerely apologize for your discomfort during your recent stay. Hopefully, the remainder of your teams rooms were comfortable and pleasant.

The Marina Motel takes pride in maintaining a clean and safe property. Since we are located in the beautiful marshes of St. Bernard Parish, we do have the occasional bug that crawls through the door, but we are constantly vigilant towards all pests. The fact that the bugs you describe were dead let's me know that Orkin is doing their job properly. In six years (since Hurricane Katrina) of affiliation with this property I have never seen "dead roaches lining the halls". The odor you describe was probably low tide in the marsh, it happens occasionally, and there is not much we can do about it!

Matt Anderson, Marina Motel

Reviewed 5 May 2010

If ever there was an argument for trusting my instincts, my recent week at the Marina Motel in Chalmette was it. With most of the major hotels in the heart of the city totally booked and/or outrageously priced for jazz fest, I took to the internet to find a reasonable, nice, safe place to stay. Most of the smaller hotels, and those outside of the city had at least a couple of negative reviews, and not many of them looked as nice as this one. After spending weeks looking at online ads for many hotels and motels in the New Orleans area, I finally booked this one, on impulse.

The rooms were spacious, tastefully decorated and immaculately kept by the cheerful and always accommodating housekeeping staff. There was a desk to do my work, a table to eat at, a flat screen TV, free Wifi, wake up service, a view of the swimming pool and the river, a refrigerator, a microwave, a hairdryer, a coffee pot, and daily packets of coffee. The desk clerks were on call 24-7 and always made sure that our every request was catered. The food in the restaurant was very good, even by New York standards. There was always space in the parking lot, right in front of the hotel entrance. The area, while far from the beaten path, was quiet, safe, scenic and easily accessible, with the river on one side of the motel and green pastures on the other.

All in all, I’d say this was a five star experience at a two star price. You’ll be very happy you stayed here.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Zacthewac
Reviewed 25 April 2010

My wife and i stayed at this motel for a three day getaway this march and i would like to thank the staff at the Marina Motel for making our stay so wonderful. the room was very clean and comfortable, the food at the motel cafe was delicious and the service was great. i would highly recomend this motel for anyone looking for a peaceful and enjoyable stayThank you staff and management. we will be back

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rebel002
Reviewed 3 March 2010

We stayed here for the turnaround at Chalmette Refinery. The property is average but I really like the people who work here, and the security for my crew. Since I booked 6 rooms the owner comped me a mini-suite with a little kitchen, very nice. I get up early and jog and Marina Road dead ends at a nice subdivision deep in the marsh..it truly is gorgeous way back there in the marina. Some of my crew would walk back to the marina bar in the evening and drink beers with the regulars(a real cultural experience). They asked me to write a review and I am glad to do it. Jim, Bristol, TN.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Galatas95
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chalmette
Algiers
Federal City Inn & Suites
Federal City Inn & Suites
#71 of 166 in New Orleans
Comfort Suites New Orleans
#105 of 166 in New Orleans

Been to Marina Motel? Share your experiences!