“Friday Night Dinner” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bear and Ragged Staff

Bear and Ragged Staff
Price range: US$0 - US$24
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Friday Night Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

A friend and I went out for a casual dinner on Friday. All round the meal was fantastic from the service, the meal (the steak was cooked to perfection), the puddings where brilliant and the atmosphere was perfect! I love this restaurant :)

1 Thank Amber B

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Service - what service?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We squeezed our party in the restaurant at about 4.30 on Sunday with the proviso that we vacate by 6 pm for the people who had already reserved the table. No problem, there were 5 of us and we met up in Mottisfont Abbey with the intention of enjoying the day, having early dinner and going our separate ways, 3 to High Wycombe and 2 to Rustington. We have been on many occasions to the Bear & Ragged Staff but eaten out in the garden but as it was pouring down with rain and cold we had to go inside. I ordered a diet/pepsi coke and without being asked was given a flat syrupy drink out of the fountain, couldn't drink it but my husband did and so bought a bottle for myself but would have preferred to have been asked if I would like a bottle or the premixed version, but of course had to pay for both drinks. Were told where the table was, no problem about that, it was laid out and had the menus already on the table. I took our order to the bar, had to wait a little while but not too long until the order was punched in. Food arrived , it did take about 45 minutes. My veggie option was so dry after being kept warm I kept gagging on it, no option of jug of water as we only saw the waitress when she served our meals and collected the plates when we finished she was in and out so quickly we couldn't catch her eye. She bought the dessert board and again I went to order but decided as time was running out we'd have coffee at the same time. Quite a queue at the bar by now, there didn't seem to be many staff taking food orders, just 2 ladies who were both very busy as the pub was filling up. When the desserts arrived the next party to use the table had arrived and were sitting watching us, it was nearly 6 pm and we decided to leave the table because the waitress/bar manager was cleaning the table as my husband and I sat there, in fact he was still drinking his coffee, I got my card out to pay the bill and she said 'if you're paying by card you'll have to go to the bar as the machine doesn't work in the restaurant' but then not a lot did work in the restaurant! I didn't mind doing all the running around but as I did it and no member of staff did we decided to keep our tips, I am an ex Bar Manager and waitress and have never ever not left a tip.There was no 'sorry, but would you mind paying at the bar as the machine doesn't work in the restaurant' in fact no interaction at all. When we vacated the premises there was no thanksyou, no eye contact, and no goodnight/goodbye so we then felt more than justified for keeping our tips. If it was self service then we felt more than entitled to tip ourselves. Sorry Bear and Ragged Staff we won't be coming back and I think by the look on your faces you'd be rather pleased about that.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LAG49
Rainbow Lake, New York, United States
“A Lovely Hampshire Pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is one of those classic country pubs that you can find along the lanes of Hampshire. We went with a Brit friend, who lives nearby, for dinner. It was great food served in a spacious pub setting. The menu was varied and the prices were reasonable in price. This is a place well worth looking for if you're in the area near Romsey and the New Forest.
Recommended by me and my wife...a well-travelled couple in southern England.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Patrick E
nikwake
“Late lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Have been here many times, gorgeous country pub with a cosy interior, great ales and most importantly always very good food, no matter what time, and friendly attentive service top it off.

Hampshire
“quaint restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have visited this restaurant on a number of occasions with family. There is an adequate car park if customers park considerably. The staff are friendly upon your arrival and even if it is busy, you get an acknowledgement from a member of staff that they will be with you shortly. The food didn't take too long until it was served and ideal temperature. On my last visit, we opted just for soup and sandwich, not realising that the sandwich would be a doorstop size chunk of bread, it was fresh and homemade which made it even more delicious. We intend to go back to try and work our way down the menu, well worth a visit..

• Visited February 2014