“Very good experience”
Review of Bocage Plantation

Bocage Plantation
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Darrow
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1801 and again in 1837 Bocage Plantation is a Grand Plantation Home.
louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Very good experience”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

What a wonderful getaway this trip to Bocage was for my best friend and I!!! I can hardly wait to go back one day soon! Before we even arrived, Roberto called me to ask about the types of snacks and beverages we would enjoy the most. From the moment we drove up to this magnificent plantation, we were thoroughly impressed! It is very well kept and so very beautiful! Roberto met us at the door with a welcoming and helpful smile. He carried all of the luggage upstairs to our room, and he showed us around the plantation. The furnishings are just one of the many things that will insure we return. Roberto was so knowledgeable about the area and he offered me several suggestions for dining that evening. Upon returning, it was so easy to relax. The room was very large and comfortable, and the bathroom was amazing! The claw foot tub seemed to be calling my name, but the large steam shower was even more inviting!
This weekend was the first time for me to stay in a plantation. The previous night we stayed at another plantation home. The Bocage was much more impressive. We very much enjoyed our conversation with Roberto and the other guest in the house that night. It was such a nice environment to relax and unwind.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank southernlagal

New Orleans, Louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Interior great! Outside dirty! Service questionable!”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I don't usually review someplace unless it's extremely good or extremely bad, however, I felt I had to share this with others. I planned a trip with my mother, who I see only twice a year. This was a special occassion for us and I wanted it to be perfect.

First, let me say, that I found Roberto very congenial but we experienced several problems at Bocage.

When we arrived at 3pm (check-in time. I wanted to be there exactly on time so we could get a tour in), there was only a woman there that was a friend of the manager. She told us he would be back shortly and left us on the porch at ground level. She did show us to our room so we could put our luggage in, then she retreated to the back yard to read. We sat and waited and waited and waited. While we sat downstairs outside, I couldn't help but notice the dirt and spider webs all over, from floor to ceiling. It was as if they had not cleaned the outside in months. I was a bit taken back by that because the inside of the house was fabulous! After an hour and a half, we left. I had no idea what was available to drink there so we drove to a mini-grocery and picked up a few things. When we returned, the manager was there and we asked to please take a tour. He said he was waiting on other guests and we could do it all together when they arrived. OK. We could do that. So, I sat outside upstairs to wait for everyone else to get there. Hoping the conditions were better upstairs outside, I found they were not. Really, really bad, almost to the point of saying 'filthy'. Roberto came outside and chatted with me for a while; gave me some history of the place. Seems he needed some time off and had left that day to go for a long drive. I told him it was OK but the more I thought about it, the more I thought NO, it's not ok. We could have gone on another tour somewhere else instead of spending our time just sitting there and waiting. We're supposed to be guests and should expect a certain level of service and respect. I travel all over the world and have stayed in many different types of hotels. I have never had this happen to me anywhere and I felt as though we were a bother.

Anyway, we sat outside again waiting for the other guests to arrive. Well, one couple showed up after 7pm and the other couple showed up after 10pm. No tour was given that night and we were leaving in the morning so I knew we wouldn't get a tour at all. My mother was very disappointed, the last thing I wanted her to be!

That evening, when we finally just went to our room, I go to the bathroom and the toilet paper roll is 3/4 gone so I looked for a full roll. There was none. There were 4 rolls under the sink but they were all 3/4 used. We managed without a full roll. I was getting ready to take a shower so I wasn't going to go find Roberto to get me a new roll. As I get into the shower, I notice a bar of opened soap on the seat and an opened bottle of shampoo. I just sighed and realized that someone hadn't cleaned the shower since the last guest was there. Not a good sign. I showered anyway and went to bed. I didn't notify Roberto so he doesn't know about this part. I didn't want to disturb him at that point and felt as though I would.

The ROOM - Exquisite as was the rest of the house! The collectibles alone are worth a visit. Truly remarkable, however again, we would have liked some info about everything we saw inside!

Breakfast - Unfortunately, for us, when we talked to Roberto the day before, we had asked about breakfast and Roberto said he had baked eggs. Mom and I weren't interested in baked eggs so I told him I didn't want anything and later I asked him if my mother could have some toast and coffee, which he agreed to. When we went down to breakfast, we met the other couples that had stayed overnight and had a lovely time talking with them. Then Roberto came in with bacon and a biscuit for one of the guests. Mom and I talked later and we both agreed that if we had known about the bacon and biscuits, we would eaten them too. But Roberto never mentioned that was available to us.

When we left, without a tour!, I was a bit disappointed with the way our arrival was handled and that we never got a real tour. It was a birthday celebration for my mother and I felt let down at the outcome of our stay at Bocage.

Visited May 2014
5 Thank melony2830
marion r, Owner at Bocage Plantation, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Bocage is situated along the Mississippi River...ground zero of the Mississippi River delta. Outside we have spiders, mosquitoes, Japanese lady bug invasion (in January and February). We have snakes, alligators, and all kinds of wildlife. Roberto does his best to keep the exterior clean...frequently powerwashing the porches. Literally, overnight spider webs and the like may appear. It is simply the way life is and used to be along the Mississippi River...we can't change the wildlife!

12 Years a Slave was filmed on the very porch that this reviewer complains about. It is unfortunate that Bocage received this review...but it proves the point "you can't please all the people, all the time".

We simply can't please these folks and wish them well in other places. Please check out the true reviews for B and B stays for Bocage. This one is simply unfair to Bocage. Roberto is the best. Bocage is the best.
Cameron, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“25th anniversary trip”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Went on 25th anniversary trip and stayed in Bocage July 8 and 9. We stayed in 7 different bed and breakfasts on our trip. Bocage was without a doubt the best and most enjoyable stay. The house is beautifully decorated with antiques. The bedrooms are wonderful and the beds are so comfortable. We really enjoyed spending our first night sitting and talking with another couple from California and Roberto. Roberto is a wonderful innkeeper, loves his job and makes you feel so welcome. Roberto made two very good breakfasts. Really hated to leave Bocage Plantation. I would highly recommend a stay at Bocage and can`t wait to return.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank courtney c
nc
“Did not actually tour.”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We showed up around 11:45 to tour and the gates were closed. It says they open at 12:00 for tours. We waited until about 12:15 and I called the number. A guy answers and says he is stuck by a train and will be there in about 30 minutes. We were very irritated so we left. Poor service in my opinion.

Visited June 2014
marion r, Owner at Bocage Plantation, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
This review and reviewer are totally unfair to Bocage. They were there at a time that tours were NOT offered. Bocage offers tours from 12:00-5:00 pm Wednesday through Sunday. They were there at 11:45 AM. When they called the manager, who was buying groceries for overnight guests, they indicated that his response was that he was blocked by a train and couldn't be there for 30 minutes. At most, this would have been a 15 minute delay and in this part of Louisiana, where trains are frequent and long, this is not an unfair response time...considering that half of the time they were there...Bocage was closed to tours. People wait at other plantations for up to an hour for a tour. Roberto, the manager, is simply the best. Bocage is the best.
Oakville, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Luxurious and Unique”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

It's quiet elegance and beauty is unsurpassable. This beautiful plantation has been renovated with tasteful antiques and state of the art facilities and is a wonderful combination of modern and old world charm. She is a must to enjoy!

Visited May 2014