“Utterly Breathtaking!”

Houmas House Plantation Tour with Transportation
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Darrow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Houmas House Plantation and Gardens is an Historic Plantation that tells the story of the very wealthy Sugar Barons of the 19th Century. Also known as the Sugar Palace, because of the wealth created at this largest Sugar Plantation in America. A collection of museum quality Art, furniture, and decorative arts on display in its natural setting. Our Gardens are known as the best in the South. 36 Acres of Beautiful Gardens with statuary, ponds, fountains, bronzes and other things to please the eye. Plan on spending 3 hours to fully visit this site. We also have restaurants that offer breakfast, lunch, Dinner and Fine Dining. Our Inn has 21 rooms for overnight stays. Live the Life of the Great Sugar Barons, if only for a day. Experience all that Houmas House has to offer.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking, Wheelchair access
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Utterly Breathtaking!”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We did the entire circuit of Plantations this trip, and Houmas House was by FAR the best. Everything about it was amazing... the gardens are the most beautiful I've ever seen. The house itself is beyond compare.. and we were lucky enough to have JUDY as our tour guide. She is the best I've ever seen. She was fun.. funny.. knowledgeable and above all friendly. This was the ONLY one of the houses which is actually a "home". The owner actually lives there, and they allow you to TOUCH everything. You can even play the piano.. (and so can SHE believe me!). The "Gardner" is also an artist, and has his own shop on the grounds. Make sure you stop in and visit him.
If you are ever in the area, make this a required stop... it's well worth the money and the time. We spent about 3 or 4 hours here and enjoyed every second!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank tsg1064

Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Great tour! Beautiful grounds! Historical gem! Much more entertaining and real than the more 'recognized' plantation tours out there....

Prosper, Tx
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“The owner of this property wants five stars....well, it was earned!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I read the reviews about this plantation home before going and the high majority give this 5 stars and the owner pays attention to the ratings and wants the highest for his property. I was determined (being a prolific Trip Advisor reviewer) that I would visit this site and see if it truly was worth the higher admission price and rating. (Let me say that I have visited other plantations near here such as Oak Alley and San Francisco, etc). From the moment I walked into the adorable gift shop, I fell in love....the lady at the register was pure Southern hospitality and friendliness. They instruct you to take the long way around the house, through the gardens, to get to the place where the tour starts.....you will treasure this walk because it is simply beautiful....go slow. Once at the site where the tour starts, we were greeted by a sweet young lady who was charming and warm....Darcy, and it was only her 4th day of working although I would have NEVER believed it....she was THAT good. In fact, she was married on the front steps of the house, which makes this plantation dearer to her heart. Darcy took us on the most fabulous tour and gave such detail about the grounds, families that owned it, and historical time period, that I almost forgot I wasn't in the 1800's. She even played beautifully on the Steinway piano for us so we could hear the lovely quality. It's fascinating to me that the owner lives there and we were allowed to go into his bedroom. He obviously takes pride in his property. (Let me say that we next toured Oak Alley, which I have always loved, but it was downhill after this house and DARCY!)

To the owner, I'm giving you the highest rating because your attention to detail has impressed me. I feel I got my money's worth. Please tell Darcy she made it first class for us!

Brighton
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fascinating”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Houmas House Plantation is a beautifully restored home that transports you to a bygone era that I never knew existed. Each room you visit in the house has the capacity to tell you a plethora of stories. We were shown around by the highly engaging and very knowledgeable Darcey who did an outstanding job; a genuine southern girl indeed.

spring
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“One of our favorite plantation homes”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Darcy, our tour guide greeted us with enthusiasm and it was 4 in the afternoon. Darcy's grandmother grew up on Evergreen plantation. Through out the entire tour, she gave personal information about each room and the period pieces in the rooms. Take the time to tour the gardens, you will not be disappointed.