Carom Inn
ComfortSuites
US$100
US$124
Hampton.com
Motel 6 Denham Springs(Denham Springs)
US$74
US$55
  • Pool
US$101
US$98
Quality Suites(Baton Rouge)(Great Value!)
US$72
US$62
QualityInn
US$81
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 July 2013

My friend and I were looking for a room to rent for a week while I visited family in the Baton Rouge area. I have had bad experiences with Baton Rouge hotels, so I decided to go to Denham Springs and check out the area before renting the room. The Western Inn Plus is located in a very nice area of town, near Best Western, Candlewood Suites, Chili's, Don's Seafood House, IHOP, and Home Depot. I'm not usually the type of person to stay at "no name" hotels, but as we were going to be in town for a week, I was on a budget. The marquee advertised rooms from $45.99.

We went in to the office and asked if they had an extended rate: $320 for 7 nights. They even allowed us to look at a room before booking! We were very happy here. The hotel appears to be new or recently remodeled, but when I asked the front desk during the stay, they said it was 3 years old. It is very well maintained! We stayed in room 227, which was on the front side of the hotel facing a credit union. I was pleased that both the parking lot and the walkways had video cameras. Our stay was very quiet. Most of the people who stayed at this hotel were highway workers, and even then, there were very few of them. Most nights during our stay, we had no neighbors, except for the weekend.

As an extended stay guest, the front desk asked us to choose a day for housekeeping. We were told to bring our towels up to the front anytime we needed new ones, but housekeeping would only take place on the day of our choice. I was pleasantly surprised to find that housekeeping tidied up the room everyday (except for once) during our stay, making our beds, replacing towels and toiletries.

There were a couple of disappointments, but they were very minor. First of all, this property does not have a swimming pool. However, the front desk clerk did tell us that if we wanted to swim, we could visit their sister property, the Highland Inn, on the other side of the interstate. We never did take him up on the offer, but it was nice to have that option available.

Second, the hotel advertises a free breakfast. On the first morning, I visited the lobby to check out the free breakfast. Toast and instant oatmeal. This was certainly not a big problem though. I would much rather spend less money on the room and have a skimpy continental breakfast than pay an extra $20 a night for a full breakfast at the chain hotels. We did not visit the continental breakfast after that. Instead, we took our pick of all the local restaurants.

Overall, I am very pleased with my week at the Western Inn Plus. I neglected to take photos of this property. I kept planning on it, but I just never did. You can't miss it though. And it is MUCH better than what you will find in Baton Rouge. I imagine this place gets pretty busy during LSU football season, as folks like to stay in the suburbs. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who does not require a swimming pool or full breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends