“Extraordinary trip to Anantara resort - Dhigu”

Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort
Geneva
“Extraordinary trip to Anantara resort - Dhigu”
Reviewed 18 April 2009

After a very disappointing first day in Kandooma (dont go there..), we immediately requested the travel agency to change our bookings and move to Anantara resort. Anantara is a resort which is based on an atoll surrounded by a barrier reef with 3 islands. Dhigu is the main one. The surrounded beaches all around are in pure white sand with a scenery view on the white and turquoise sea or on the fish passing by. The beach front villas are great, perfect size, beautifully designed (especially the bathroom) with all comfort. The terrace is also beautiful. The Thai SPA is amazing and the massages are done by truly graduated experts with a choice of oil, perfumes etc. and relaxing area is just superb facing the ocean. A window-paneled floor allows you even to watch the multi-colours fish swimming by. Excellent restaurants, including the Thai or the grill house place. Not to speak about the Watersport place where the diving service and competency of the diving masters is rare and fantastic. The trips they have organised were simply the best dives ever. Great cocktails too.. well there so much more to say, like the bar, the fishing trips etc.. just don-t hesitate. My wife visited The Maldives 4 times before, and this is definitely the best spot ever with a large choice of beach villas, water villas... We feel very sad to leave... Best, David.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 17 April 2009

I’ve been to the Maldives eight times so have a reasonable understanding of the range of 5 star plus hotels. Rather than bore you with paragraphs of waffle, here are the pros and cons of this resort.

Couple of pointers first that might help:

There are three islands here, a four star, five star and so called 6 star. We viewed all three and it is definitely the 5 star to go for – Dhigu. I would avoid the others for a host of reasons, from cost to poor beaches etc

If staying in a beach villa (our recommendation) ask for windward side and rooms 30-40 as they have the best beach, face into the lagoon and have the most seclusion and are perfectly located for all facilities.

Forget the travel agent, book direct – they are doing deals from half board, 20%+ discount, upgrades etc – don’t ask, you don’t get.

So onto Dhigu:

Pros:

Great pool
Spa my wife said was first class in terms of treatments
Good bar and great staff, in fact excellent staff all over as is usually the case in this part of the world
Food very good all round, but don’t eat at the Indian, or at the four star resort except the Thai which is well worth it.
Rooms very acceptable
They will allow two kids in the room if you press them
Half bottles of vodka etc in the room – my idea of a room bar

Negatives (very few)

A lot of the rooms are not exactly private – so chose carefully
Too expensive all round, more so that it needs to be. For example wines that are circa $20 retail are marked up to $120. This is considerably more of a mark up than most 5 star hotels.
Speedboat $165/person – ouch, for 30 minutes ride on boat owned by resort – wish I was running that service ($$$$$$$)
No house reef/coral – the Maldives is all about snorkelling and scuba. This is a big disappointment, but if you don’t want/expect it then not an issue, and the lagoon is lovely anyway to walk in and water very warm

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
9 Thank I_need_a_hols
london
Reviewed 16 April 2009

Anantara Maldives is a fantastic resort. We stayed in a deluxe overwater suite, which was out of this world. Definitely the best room I have ever stayed in. It had an infinity bath overlooking the lagoon and you get your own private balcony/decking area with sun loungers and steps to walk straight into the sea!

The food is amazing here, we were on full board and ate so much! Drinks are expensive though throughout the Maldives.

The facilities were wonderful - lovely infinity swimming pool, great restaurants and bars, free internet cafe! Watersports galore but this is very expensive. However, you can rent a kayak for free. Snorkelling is another option but I must say the lagoon around the hotel is not great for fish watching.

The spa is amazing too, go for the couples package and share a coconut milk bath! Pure indulgence!

I love this place and would go back tomorrow!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 1 April 2009

I must admit I have a Type A personality and spent many hours on the internet and trip advisor searching for a place to stay in the Maldives. Anantara was not my first choice as I had stayed at another one of their hotels in Koh Samui Thailand, but I am pleased to report Anantara Maldives is much much better.

What previous reviews have not covered much is the scuba diving, which is the main purpose of my review. In short, I found this an excellent experience! I am by no means an expert diver, but have an open water cert which I obtained many years ago. I was therefore nervous but after a refresher course was feeling much more confident. The dive instructors are great - young, competent and easy going yet watchful. The equipment was good and the maximum number of divers that we had on a dive were 4 people! We saw a pod of dolphins on the way out to two of our dives....which was sort of like a free dolphin cruise!

Many reviews have reported on over bearing staff....I did not find this at all. In fact I thought the service was genuine and warm hearted.

My only advice is check your bill carefully....as I had an erroneous internet charge on mine and they tried to charge the spa treatment twice!

In summary, the Maldives is a great place and Anantara a fine place to spend it in.....but be prepared to spend! And if you feel so inclined go scuba diving cos the dive centre is great!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
Istanbul
Reviewed 25 March 2009

I cannot describe you how It was excellent, perfect the resort is. The sea, the beach, the hospitality, rooms, rests, spas are breathtaking. I made a huge search before choosing Anantara, and I was so right from the time when we step in to our water bungalow with my wife.
You should compare all the pictures and reviews for Maldives and you come back to Anantara for best choice. I was between Four Seasons and Huvafen Fushi and I think we made a fantastic choice. After this visit, I'll be a follower of Anantara Hotels.

Don't even hesitate, it is the heaven on earth.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Doubice, Czech Republic
Reviewed 14 March 2009

One of the most beatiful and perfect hotels I''ve ever seen. We were in the ocean bungalows ant its really fantastic. Beatiful island, beatiful beaches, great food, really perfect. I've didn't find anything bad with this hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank molcanf
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2009

Well what can I say? Anantara was the second part of our honeymoon as we had just got married in Malaysia. We stayed in Dighu island in one of the sunset over the water suites(130) and we were not disappointed!! On arrival we where told that this was the best room on the island and they were not wrong!! We had our own private infinity pool which we had not expected as there are only two of these in the resort . Looking around the island I would have been more than happy with any of the accomodation as it all looked complete luxury. Another reviewer also mentioned that our part of the island was a bit breezy. This i also found was a huge relief as although i love the sun tsometimes the temperature wasa bit on the hot side. The rooms are spotless also. They are cleaned twice a day which is great but i thought this was a bit too much and the nice touches such as your bed being turned down and tea lights burning where lovely extras!!. all staff were very friendly and always happy and smiling. We where full board which i say would probably be advisable otherwise it could get a bit pricey!! Although this was the best option for us, we still found that if you wanted a steak or some types of seafood (lobster) then you would have to pay a surcharge!! The Thai restaurant was amazing and is situated on the other island which is a short boat ride away. the fuddan grill is also really good food. did nt think much of the italian but thats just our personal choice. finally their was the Fushi cafe which had buffet breakfast (Good choice of food) lunch and dinner which did not need to be booked in advance. Drinks - about 8 dollars for a small beer and if you like the wine like I do then its cheeper to buy by the glass than a bottle. Good range of watersports available also!! You can hire snorkels for your complete stay free of charge and kayak hire for 2 hours is free also. One of the best places to snorkel was the small island just out from our water suite which is good to kayak to or when the tide is low many people and children walk across. This i can say was the most amazing honeymoon and we would love to go back in the furure

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kkrglasgow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dhigufinolhu Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Emboodhu Finolhu
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,246 reviews

Been to Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort? Share your experiences!