“Paradise on Earth !!”

Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort
Chicago
“Paradise on Earth !!”
Reviewed 6 May 2009

This was my first trip to Maldives and after many days of reasearch over the net I finally chose Anantara Dighu as my honeymoon destination. It was a Five * resort with a 3 * price and I just could not resist this awesdome deal.
We had a long flight from my hometown of Bhubaneswar, Orissa, India and were really amazed by the welcome we received from the staff members of Atoll Paradise.(Our booking agent). Everything had been pre-arranged and they took care of transporting our luggage right from the Airport Exit to our hotel room which included a 40 mins speedboat ride from Male to Dighu.
The resort was absolutely fabulous and a prefect paradise for honeymooners. The service was exceptional with very friendly staff members.They provided us with a bottle of champaigne on our arrival and later decorated our bath tub with rose petals and lighted scented candles around it to make us feel really special.
The Deluxe Beach Villas were spacious and with the open air bath tub and shower in the backyard. We had no problems in plugging our ipods to the home theatre system fitted in each room as we listened and danced to our favourite romantic numbers.
As I had taken the sunset deluxe villa out backdoor faced the west side of the beach. Each room had a pathway to the beach and was well concealed from the adjacent room with thick bush to provide us with that privacy we so dearly longed.
The breakfast and lunch buffet was great with all varieties of food available starting from continental to western. The dessert items were particularly my favourite.
We had some issues with the dinner as it was very expensive and not much to our likings. We tried the adjacent island of Veli too but were not much impressed with the dinner choice available.But I think sea-food lovers and westerners did not actually find it that hard ..
We took the sun-set cruise(60 $/person) and massage at the beautiful over water spa which was also around 60$/person for sixty minutes as they had a offer going around that time. I loved both of them. We also did free kayaking around the lagoon as the sun-set gently set over the western horizon.There were other sea-adventure packages available for more daring ones but did come with a hefty price tag.
Overall I would say it was a very wonderful and satisfying experience and real value for the money spent. The staff members never pushed us for anything and they did understand the need for our privacy all the time. The daytime was hot but the evenings were trully wonderful.Sitting on our own small private beach hand in hand and watching the sun set while the gentle waters of the lagoon lapped the shore will always be etched in our memories as the very first bissful moments we spent of our new life together.
I would like to thank the Anantara members for making it so special for us.

1 Thank Ashu D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Switzerland
Reviewed 2 May 2009

I wouldn't go into the deep details of the island setting...as it has already been mentioned many times earlier. We work and live in Male and have seen a number of resorts here in the Maldives, but the Anantara, I must say was a real treat. We went in a group with fellow expats and so got a very good rates for the rooms, foods, drinks and spa. That in itself is a very great start :-).
What was worth mentioning was the experience as our speedboat cruised into the water leading to the island. It was quiet, peaceful, calm, CLASSY!! Even the water seemed to be very well behaved there. When we arrived into our beach bungalow, I was like "WOW!! what a treat". The best part was when my husband opened up a big door which, I thought, in my fleeting moment of still discovering the bungalow was a walk in closet or something like that was actually a big lavish bath area.... the sides part open but just closed enough for privacy. Our son really enjoyed that area and had a nice long bath in the big bath tub.
One very pleasantly surprising thing about the Anantara was that it is very children friendly. There were a number of other families with little children and their gorgeous pool overlooking the lagoon played a big host to these kids for most part of the day. They have warm, friendly staff that make your stay definitely very comfortable.
The SPA - what can I say - was pure indulgence to all your senses!!! The Thai therapists, as expected were all so marvellous, friendly and dedicatedly good at their job. I loved the relaxation area that overlooks the ocean yet very very private. I could sit there forever and contemplate on the finer things of life.... if I had a book and a pen, I am dead sure my creativity mind would've worked and I could've done full justice to the resort which it so deserves (right now, its crap but I am still writing as I finally got the time to do so)The service there was definitely commendable and makes the stay at the resort worth writing home about.
The food was good, well prepared and aesthetically well presented. Even though we were in a big group and filled up 2 big tables, each one of us got a very personal attention and they didn't mix up the orders at all. After dinner, we joined other ravers by the lagoon for some leg shaking moments. That was fun!! I also joined the yoga session and it was pure luxury to be greeted by the fresh air, cool breeze of the ocean. Just sitting there on the wooden deck of the restaurant (that's where the yoga took place) overlooking the water was ZEN in itself. My husband joined the snorkelling trip and he had a very good experience there too. All in all, it is a resort I would love to repeat again.... it seems like the Indian Ocean at its best, highlighting all the different colours of its waters.
The only flaw was that part of the rooms esp. the minibar area had dust. But then that is me... I tend to notice all the dust and dirt wherever I go..... I could run an empire of Housekeeping with my sharp eyes on details.... a little anecdote to conclude my O! so full of applaud for the Anantara Maldives!!

• Stayed April 2009
Athens-Greece
Reviewed 25 April 2009

I’ve been staying at deluxe resorts many times and I know what luxury means. This is my first time in Anantara Dhigu. Instead of huge paragraphs I will try nto be very concise.
Staff of reception very warm and kind
Beach front villas looking to lagoon(30-40) very beautifull. Marvelous white sandy beach and absolutely seclusive scenery. Very nice Pool but to my opinion not neccessary there.
Food very good especially for sea food lovers as myself, but you can taste Asian as well.
Wine(Botle or glass) very expensive. The speed boat to Male extremely expensive. Nevertheless you have nothing to see there.
Regarding snorkeling is a good experience.
Overall this resort is strongly recommended. A small paradise for 3-4 days

London
Reviewed 22 April 2009

Beautiful place, stunning rooms, excellent service, perfect weather. We couldn't have wished for a better honeymoon destination.

We spent a lot of time by the pool on Dighu, which was absolutely lovely. The service was impeccable and the food excellent. They did play the same music every single day though, which became a little tiresome, but that was soon fixed when we asked them to plug in our own ipod...which they agreed to!

We were originally supposed to stay on Veli in a Deluxe Over water Bungalow. However, when we arrived, there was a yellow JCB digger right outside our room, building a new sunbathing area. Needless to say, we politely declined this room and were very promptly moved across to Dighu Island to a Deluxe Overwater Sunset Suite. This was a problem that definitely became an opportunity to impress...and they did! Although for the life of me, I can't imagine why they even tried to put us in the original room with construction going on outside...surely nobody would accept that!

If I have a complaint, it's down to my inabilty to afford this superb place, rather than their extremely expensive prices. $8 for a small beer and $90 for the heapest bottle of Ozzie plonk on the winelist is simply too expensive for my tastes.

So, in a nutshell, we won't be going back anytime soon, sadly...unless the numbers come in!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AntoTheGreat
Geneva
Reviewed 18 April 2009

After a very disappointing first day in Kandooma (dont go there..), we immediately requested the travel agency to change our bookings and move to Anantara resort. Anantara is a resort which is based on an atoll surrounded by a barrier reef with 3 islands. Dhigu is the main one. The surrounded beaches all around are in pure white sand with a scenery view on the white and turquoise sea or on the fish passing by. The beach front villas are great, perfect size, beautifully designed (especially the bathroom) with all comfort. The terrace is also beautiful. The Thai SPA is amazing and the massages are done by truly graduated experts with a choice of oil, perfumes etc. and relaxing area is just superb facing the ocean. A window-paneled floor allows you even to watch the multi-colours fish swimming by. Excellent restaurants, including the Thai or the grill house place. Not to speak about the Watersport place where the diving service and competency of the diving masters is rare and fantastic. The trips they have organised were simply the best dives ever. Great cocktails too.. well there so much more to say, like the bar, the fishing trips etc.. just don-t hesitate. My wife visited The Maldives 4 times before, and this is definitely the best spot ever with a large choice of beach villas, water villas... We feel very sad to leave... Best, David.

UK
Reviewed 17 April 2009

I’ve been to the Maldives eight times so have a reasonable understanding of the range of 5 star plus hotels. Rather than bore you with paragraphs of waffle, here are the pros and cons of this resort.

Couple of pointers first that might help:

There are three islands here, a four star, five star and so called 6 star. We viewed all three and it is definitely the 5 star to go for – Dhigu. I would avoid the others for a host of reasons, from cost to poor beaches etc

If staying in a beach villa (our recommendation) ask for windward side and rooms 30-40 as they have the best beach, face into the lagoon and have the most seclusion and are perfectly located for all facilities.

Forget the travel agent, book direct – they are doing deals from half board, 20%+ discount, upgrades etc – don’t ask, you don’t get.

So onto Dhigu:

Pros:

Great pool
Spa my wife said was first class in terms of treatments
Good bar and great staff, in fact excellent staff all over as is usually the case in this part of the world
Food very good all round, but don’t eat at the Indian, or at the four star resort except the Thai which is well worth it.
Rooms very acceptable
They will allow two kids in the room if you press them
Half bottles of vodka etc in the room – my idea of a room bar

Negatives (very few)

A lot of the rooms are not exactly private – so chose carefully
Too expensive all round, more so that it needs to be. For example wines that are circa $20 retail are marked up to $120. This is considerably more of a mark up than most 5 star hotels.
Speedboat $165/person – ouch, for 30 minutes ride on boat owned by resort – wish I was running that service ($$$$$$$)
No house reef/coral – the Maldives is all about snorkelling and scuba. This is a big disappointment, but if you don’t want/expect it then not an issue, and the lagoon is lovely anyway to walk in and water very warm

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
9 Thank I_need_a_hols
london
Reviewed 16 April 2009

Anantara Maldives is a fantastic resort. We stayed in a deluxe overwater suite, which was out of this world. Definitely the best room I have ever stayed in. It had an infinity bath overlooking the lagoon and you get your own private balcony/decking area with sun loungers and steps to walk straight into the sea!

The food is amazing here, we were on full board and ate so much! Drinks are expensive though throughout the Maldives.

The facilities were wonderful - lovely infinity swimming pool, great restaurants and bars, free internet cafe! Watersports galore but this is very expensive. However, you can rent a kayak for free. Snorkelling is another option but I must say the lagoon around the hotel is not great for fish watching.

The spa is amazing too, go for the couples package and share a coconut milk bath! Pure indulgence!

I love this place and would go back tomorrow!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dhigufinolhu Island
Naladhu Private Island Maldives
Naladhu Private Island Maldives
#1 of 1 in Naladhu Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Emboodhu Finolhu
Baros Maldives
Baros Maldives
#1 of 1 in Baros Island

Been to Anantara Dhigu Maldives Resort? Share your experiences!