“Great experience,..... except for the tap water.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gibson
Wildlife Gardens Bed and Breakfast and Swamp Tours
Ranked #1 of 1 Gibson B&B and Inns
Vancouver, WA
“Great experience,..... except for the tap water.”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

It was raining hard when we were there, but that's just the way it goes. I'm going to just agree with everyone else that it's a great experience, but I'm going to also say they may have a little problem. It's their tap water in their cabins. The smell should have warned me, but I made the mistake of splashing some in my eyes in the morning. Several days later my eyes became swollen, red and secreting white stuff. The doctor told me I had bacterial pink eye and prescribed some drops. There's really no way for me to be certain I picked it up at Wildlife Gardens but it's the most logical explanation I can come up with. I still recommend people visit but bring a case or 2 of bottled water. Don't use the tap water for any reason.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jocko B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Waxahachie, Texas
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This place is so awesome. You won't regret it if you go. Betty is such a sweet lady and she tells great stories. The best part was the baby gators, the big gators, the peacocks, the turtles, the swamp, well actually everything was the best part. Lol. If you love to take pictures like me, you will be thrilled . Great photo opportunities.

Room Tip: Cabins 3 and 4 are the most secluded.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Those who feel the garden experience was wonderful would have been ecstatic if they had been there before. Hurricanes have taken their toll on what once was a truly unique experience. Sleeping over the swamp, which then contained 'gators, was an awesome, and for northerners, 'interesting' experience and the other animals and trails were more than worth the price. While still a unique experience it's glory days are sadly past.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ossenfogva
Chipley, Florida
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I was on vacation with my 2 sons and wanted the swamp experience. I had read reviews on cabin # 4 so that was the one we chose. It was awesome and so far off the beaten path. We took Mrs. Betty's advice and went to the Jolly Inn in Houma for dinner and dancing. My youngest son had the best time there but we didnt' leave until late. We arrived back at the cabin around 11 pm. Luckily we all brought flashlights and we walked really fast to get inside the cabin. My youngest son was in tears when he climbed in bed. He was scared. I was a little uneasy but we were in the cabin and safe. I told him it would be daylight when we woke up and all would be fine. And it was. As we were leaving the next day we did see a snake crawling around close to the pathway though. Just glad we didnt see him the day before. All in all it was a great experience.

Room Tip: Cabin #4 is more off the beaten path but be prepared with your big flashlight if you are out past da...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This was my all time favorite hotel that I have ever stayed at in my life. I loved walking around the swamp and getting to hold the baby alligators. We also loved seeing the big alligators Troy and Hellen. I loved talking to Betty. She had so many good stories to tell to me. I liked going on the nature trail and seeing and petting all the animals. WIldlife gardens bed and breakfast is the all time best hotel in the world.

Room Tip: Cabin 4 has the most privacy.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Miss Betty was born to become the delightful hostess that she is. Things are basic but she is so genuine and the place is a piece of her heaven, so you feel grateful for the experience. She promotes her region by sending you to her neighbors who work just as hard to share their part of this country with the traveler. Learn about which part of the alligator is the best eating, the invasive Nutria, turtles endangered and turtles for soup. Try to take 2 swamp tours on your stay as each is a bit different And, Sweet Dreams!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 13 April 2013

After being a bit nervous in the beginning coming all the way from Norway and ot being used to the creatures of the swamp, the stay turned out to be just great. Cabin was located in the middle of the swamp and although not too far from civilization, you got the feeling of staying in the middle of nowwhere, especially after dark.

The morning after we got a great breakfast,as well as a lovely guided tour on the premises, where we among other things got to hold baby alligators. Betty and her husband are lovely and although they're running the B&B more on a hobby-basis now, they still do it with great pride and care.

Only minor things if I need to find some improvement areas is that the cleaning inside the cabin could be a little bit better (a few spider webs among other things) and that some kind of generator is making a constant noise nearby somewhere (not on the property I think) which interrupts some of the swamp feeling at night/in the mornings.

Would recommend this to everyone though! :) Be sure to get driving directions though, as our (Garmin) GPS never found the place.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gibson
Homewood Suites by Hilton Houma
A Chateau on the Bayou Bed & Breakfast
The Dansereau House
The Dansereau House
#1 of 2 in Thibodaux

Been to Wildlife Gardens Bed and Breakfast and Swamp Tours? Share your experiences!