“Very Average, Plenty Pasta and Cheese, Short on Meat!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Buca di Beppo - CLOSED

Buca di Beppo
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, Soups
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
New Orleans, Louisiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Average, Plenty Pasta and Cheese, Short on Meat!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We ordered 3 dishes: "di Beppo 1893 Salad", "Baked Ziti", and "Veal Saltimbocca".

The salad was very good, large enough for 3 of us, BUT quite short on the meats, pepperoni and salami, as depicted in the menu. As for the cheeses, provolone and feta, the amount served was good.

The "Baked Ziti" was good and large enough for 3 of us. Cheeses were bountiful especially the ricotta. We added added some parmesan and seasoning at the table for some extra zip. The Rosa sauce was good. The dish needed to be spiced up a bit as the creaminess softened flavor somewhat.

The "Veal Saltimbocca" had to be returned and replaced as the meat was quite dry, overcooked and with barely chewable, crispy, very dark edges on the medalions. The minimal amount of prociutto was burnt and fell apart like bacon bits. AND, as with the salad, the amount of meat served in this $26 "a la carte" dish was disappointing. Three small medalions, smaller than a pack of cigarettes and maybe 3/8 of an inch thick, would not feed 2.

The chef visited our table and graciously re- cooked the "Veal Saltimbocca" dish for us. The new dish was much better and had ample prosciutto. The lemon caper sauce was good, well balanced, and did not break emulsification.

BUT, Again, as with the salad, the amount of meat served in this $26 "a la carte" dish was disappointing. Three small medalions, smaller than a pack of cigarettes and maybe 3/8 of an inch thick at best, would not feed 2.
I would expect this size, and as priced, dish to be a single serve size entree at a really nice up-scale restaurant...Not at a chain restaurant at this level.

After reading other reviews, I tend to think "Buca di Beppo's" "Thing" may be shorting the meat and pumping up the pasta!

• Visited June 2014

Cobourg, Canada
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Talk about getting your money's worth. The service is great and friendly and they do warn you about the portions...which are huge. It is a family style Italian restaurant and we ate our fill plus had plenty to take home . The atmosphere is lots of fun also

Visited May 2014
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Cool decor; So-so food; S-L-O-W service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

My older sister had been to BDP on several past occasions and raved about the place, so while I was in town visiting the family for Jazz Fest, we drove from Kenner out to Gretna. With traffic, it took us nearly an hour. We did make reservations, but didn't need them as the restaurant was mostly empty. While the decor of the restaurant is really interesting, the food, in our opinion was no different than at "Olive Garden". My sister said it's more fun if you go at dinnertime and share the big 'family style' meals, but we all opted for the individual lunch items (although 3 of us did share an antipasto salad, as our meals did not come with any side dishes.) Our waitress (Crystal), while very friendly, was either lacking in experience or more focused on talking to the other employees - our service was extremely slow! We had to ask on 2-3 occasions for refills on our waters & tea. Rather than bring a pitcher to refill our glasses, she just brought a new glass of beverage to that one person; but by the time she did this, others at our table were needing refills. My nephew ordered a cup of coffee after eating, and after about 10-15 minutes of waiting, had to go track her down to get it (and the piece of cake my sister has ordered). We had to request and wait for our checks, and when Crystal didn't come back for them, my nephew finally just gathered them all up and brought them to her so she could process them. Keep in mind, there were maybe 4-5 other tables of small parties dining in the entire restaurant, so it was not like there was a big event going on that would have taken up her time & attention. We did learn later that a diner had suffered a bad nose bleed, and apparently a few of the staff (including Crystal) had taken her out to the curb and waited with her while her friend retrieved the car. Our lunch took nearly 2 hours with all the delays, and may have taken longer if not for my nephew hunting down our waitress on 3 separate occasions! In a city of great restaurants like New Orleans, it was totally not worth it!!

• Visited May 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Pleasant Evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

I went to Buca , about 2 days ago. I was surprised with the decor, they must have every copy of every Italian personality. At first I thought it was too much , but during the course of my dinner my eyes kept wondering to the walls the photos. I,m afraid I was not good dinner company.
The portions are huge! They have a variety of choices. We ordered the Carbonara , they make it with Alfredo sauce? Close enough I ate it all. I must admit , I can,t wait to back with friends, they have a table in a little alcove decorated with the Pope's photos ,bust , pictures. In the center of the table that seats about 8 they have a bust of the pope! It's crazy!

• Visited January 2014
Terrytown, Louisiana
“Much improved!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

After saying I would NEVER return to this restaurant I was contacted by the District Manager for this area of the restaurant chain. I explained our previous experience and was assured that if we tried it again we would be completely satisfied. He sent us a $50 gift card and we decided to give it another try. We were seated immediately upon entering by a pleasant young lady very far from the area where extra plates are stored. My husband's favorite is chicken parm so we of course ordered that, but since it is served without pasta, we had to order a pasta dish. I decided on plain old spaghetti and meatballs along with the 1893 salad (which is one of my favorites). We ordered the small order of each of the dishes. Because of the strange serving style of this restaurant and it"s high prices we went over the $50 gift card. The food was served quickly and was very good. We never did receive the bread we ordered, but each time we asked for more marinara sauce we were brought a nice sized portion instead of the tiny cups we were given the last few times. Our server was pleasant and the food was served hot. I would definitely return to this restaurant, and would like it even better if they would serve in a more traditional method.

• Visited December 2013