“Disgusting”

Knights Inn Gretna New Orleans West Bank
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Gretna
Reviewed 30 October 2013

You may as well pay the million bucks hotels cost in New Orleans!!
We booked this hotel for two nights to celebrate our friends' wedding weekend. The photos online looked nice and I expected everything to be in order upon our arrival. We were greeted by a woman at the front desk who gave us our room keys, showed us on a map where our room would be and where to park. We drove around to our room but had to sit in our car for 15 minutes while housekeeping finished cleaning. We unloaded our things from the car and then discovered the toilet in our room did not flush. I tried to call the front desk only to find that the phone did not work as well. We left our room and drove all the way back around to the front desk to report the faults in our room. When we walked in the front desk attendant was trying to give us a different room because housekeeping was still cleaning. We told her they'd finished but that some amenities weren't functioning. She assigned us a different room so we reloaded the car, drove around to our new room, unpacked the car and rode the elevator (which smelled of alcohol and urine) to the 3rd floor. In this room the refrigerator did not work, we had no remote for the television and there was hair in the bathtub though neither of us had used it. I was tired of complaining so I didn't bother to report it. Later that night I found a dead baby roach on our bathroom floor and then a live roach crawling across our wall. We were disgusted with the condition of this hotel and would have relocated had we not already paid the full amount of the stay. Quality is not what we got with this stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel N

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed two times here because of a cruise we took out of New Orleans. I tried to talk to the Manager about this, but during the 4 partial days [check-in & check-out] we were there, she could not be found and staff just kept putting things in her box saying she MAY be in later. Now a month later and still have not heard from this hotel. Finally called Choice direct..
Stay #1 09-20-13
For the price we paid at this location, it was not a bargain.
The front desk staff was extremely nice, but that is where it stopped.
We were given room 1001. When I opened the door, the bed was not made, so I went back to see about getting housekeeping or another room.
We were given room 1007. Here is what we got.
1. THE BATHROOM DOOR DOES NOT CLOSE. If you force it shut, the wife had a hard time getting out.
2. The bed was not a king size as we were told and had reserved.
3. It was after 2000 [8 PM] before we got a new TV that worked.
4. There was a USA paper left in the room, from Thursday. Second room today, so I would question housekeeping ability.
Feel there is plenty of room for improvements at this hotel.
Stay #2 09-26-13
Again this is a disaster.
From the time I called at the terminal for a pick up, it was 55 minutes. There were still 5 more people standing in line waiting for pickup [using 7 passenger van] which mean they will wait over an hour. When we went to terminal on 21st, they could not find the keys. Now they had the keys, but the driver with the CDL did not show up for work. Just no back up plans. Maintenance man, James, had to do runs. There was only 1 person in the lobby doing check in and dispatch for cruise. Thursday day was check in day and transportation to terminal which makes it a busy day without limited staff. You charge $60 extra for this service and then you do not provide it in a professional manner. Wanted to talk to Manager was told “may be in later”, same as last Saturday – in later. While waiting at the terminal, other drivers there, when they found out who we were waiting for after they had made several trips to their hotel, told us about how poor the vehicles were. I retired from the State of Colorado working with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration tracking safety issues. When James hit the brakes on the Freeway the vehicle shook and he had to grab the steering wheel because the front end bounced. This safety issue should place the vehicle out of service and subject it to safety citations. On return I reported the SAFETY problem and was informed that the Manager had been informed and even had said that it needed to go into service. Such blatant disregard for Safety along with the liability exposure that the Manager has put not only Quality Inn, but also Choice Hotels in should NEVER be tolerated.
The kid’s pool is closed for repair which is no problem, but it has standing GREEN SLIM water [have a picture in case you would not believe how disgusting]. Not only does it make the place look like what it apparently is, but it is a breeding ground for mosquitos. Also kept us from using the pool just because of the way it makes you feel.
Free hot breakfast buffet [copied from your web site] – Most likely the meekest at any Choice over the years. Even when a place offers “Continental Breakfast” only you get more than at this hotel.
1. No white bread – No Wheat bread – this would be one of the cheapest things they could offer.
2. No Danishes which almost every place on earth offers even if they only offer a Continental Breakfast.
3. Orange Juice tasted like TANG or at best an orange drink
4. No hot chocolate even the one made from powder and made with water. Not everyone drinks coffee.
5. Did have sausage, a round thing that was eggs, but had no taste and a muffin. Sorry excuse for an advertised “Hot Breakfast”. Most that advertise this have waffles or at least waffle makers.
Roof over restaurant is held up by yellow rope because the support/gutter is missing. Makes this Choice property look like crap.

Room Tip: Many other local venues offer shuttles to the cruise ship - check them out before settling for this...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank El1Lobo
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Miskitos everywhere, phone doesn’t work, TV has lines in it, walls have damage and are different colors, Hanger Rods are rusted, window shades won’t close all the way (People can see in). This place is nasty, don’t stay here. I’m checking in to another hotel and will have to eat the costs here!

Room Tip: Don't get a room here. If you must, look at the rooms before you sign anything!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Do not stay here! There are some positives. The staff are as friendly and courteous as you will find anywhere. The park and cruise option is unbeatable. The free shuttle to and from the port enhances the free park and cruise option. Now for the property. TIRED does not even begin to describe it. There was mold in the bathroom and as a result a musty smell permeated the room. It does not appear to be in a good area. The window in the room next to us was boarded up but the broken bits of glass were still in evidence. Thank goodness for febreze. NOLA and the surrounding area hotels were completely booked by the time we found this one. BUT you can bet that next time I will change the dates of my visit rather than book this hotel. The really bad part is that I booked for 3 couples, I am fortunate that I have nice friends. Just hope they don't as me for their room rate back ($139 + tax is way to much to charge for this place).

Room Tip: My tip for finding a good room is to NOT stay here.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This was the worst hotel customer service we have ever encountered in our traveling experience. We got there at 1, were told check in was at 3. We came back at 3 and there were 15 people in line already. I wouldn't have mind the wait but an HOUR for 15 people? There were at least 30 people behind me already! When i go to the front it was 4 pm. Asked for the manager and was told that "she is running personal errands" wow! I specifically asked when i gave my CC if i was going to get charged again she said no, and STILL got charged! Called 2 times and was told both times that "management is out running personal errands, not sure when she will be back" Still have yet to receive MY MONEY BACK... Run like HELL from his place!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 September 2013

My husband and I were going on a cruise, and after calling around and searching the internet, we decided on this hotel because of the price associated with the park and cruise package. Unfortunately, I did not read any reviews before our stay and what happened to us was beyond what I would ever had thought would happen.

Upon arrival, I noticed there was no covered parking, and the hotel was not in the best area. It was late and we thought, it will be okay. It's only for one night, and we were sure that people would be watching vehicles throughout our seven night cruise. During check in, the lady at the counter obviously got distracted when another customer came to the desk asking for lysol, saying there was a distinct smell in her room. She definitely had an attitude with the lady, and apparently this is where things went wrong. She was trying to deal with us, and this lady at the same time and got room numbers mixed up. She had written 1104 on our cruise document, but apparently gave us the key for 1105, but this wasn't caught until later.

Once we got into our room, we noticed everything seemed fine. We parked our car under lights, and tried to make the best of it. We started getting ready for bed and had the TV turned on when our door FLUNG open with the top lock catching it. The men started blurting out expletives and my husband jumped up and pushed the door shut shouting "wrong room buddy!" I was in a panic and started trying to call the front desk. It was like a bad dream. The phone rang and rang and rang and no one would answer. Finally after a million tries, someone finally picks up and I frantically tell her what has happened, and she tells us to come to the front desk to get another key. After that, we decided we no longer wanted to stay and started calling around different hotels. We found the Holiday Inn Express next to the Superdome. It was twice the price, but upon arrival, we could understand why. Covered secure parking, nicer rooms, etc. We were able to book the LAST room they had.

The people at the front desk were kind though, and didn't charge us any fees. They refunded us our money and we headed on our way.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lcouch25
Reviewed 27 September 2013

It was the worse hotel experience we've ever had! Inept personnel at the desk (did not know how to scan a credit card), clean towel shortage on the 2nd day of our 2 day stay. Restaurant not open as advertized and no food on breakfast buffet (both days). We witnessed a guest taking photos of the buffet and an employee arguing that the truck did not deliver food 2 days in a row. Also, the hotel had an unpleasant odor and our room was not clean!
We will alert the cruise sites about this so no one else who would be booking the cruise parking package will not have to go thru what we encountered. We talked to others there who said "NEVER AGAIN!"

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna
Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower
La Quinta Inn New Orleans West Bank / Gretna
Historic Streetcar Inn
Historic Streetcar Inn
#143 of 166 in New Orleans
Courtyard New Orleans Westbank/Gretna
Homewood Suites by Hilton West Bank Gretna

Been to Knights Inn Gretna New Orleans West Bank? Share your experiences!