“Un acceptable standards and mis information galore”

Knights Inn Gretna New Orleans West Bank
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Gretna
INDIA
“Un acceptable standards and mis information galore”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

A torn and in tatters US flag greets you as you enter this place. Stayed 2 nights.Exceptionally poor management. Computers have been out of order for atleast two weeks and front desk checks you in by hand. Only two bookings to check in at midnight and it took 45 minutes. Got the wrong room number as available rooms need to be manually checked. Had to lug my bags across two blocks to finally get into my room. Room is clean but most gadgets especially the plug points in poor condition.Saw long crowds waiting patiently 2 days running. Front desk staff do an exceptionally tedious process of manually checking you in. Some guests might have waited 2 hours plus to get a room- after pre booking and paying in advance.
Directions given also incorrect. Quality inn and Econolodge occupy the same address.
Promised free inter net, news paper, coffee n tea in the lobby etc. Nothing was available or worked. Highly avoidable even if this is your last choice.Plenty of rooms n parking but dis satisfied staff and dis interested owners make for a poor experience.
How difficult is it too repair your computers?????????

Room Tip: Go some place else owners are not interested in maintaining the place.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank APMCHENG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

I've been in many hotels, some of them were bad, with tiny rooms and leaking faucets. But this is something unbelievable, we came in at first and they forgot about reservation, when we got into our room, there was so done already there. In our next room, we finally stayed the night. But the next evening, someone else dropped their things in our room, so we had to get this all sorted out, they didn't even apologize!

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Alex K

Travellers are raving about these Gretna hotels

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Room was clean, nice, and large. 7 miles to downtown New Orleans, LA. Beds were comfy. That's all the good I can say about it. Shuttle Service is available, but the shuttle was on its own schedule whenever its convenient for them. I was there on Fat Tuesday, and the system to check in/out went down. Only had 1 person working the desk per shift. The clerks were slow and kind of lazy. The room was not cleaned by Room Service. They made the bed and put down a new floor towel in the bathroom. Nothing else. Room and Location were ideal, but clerks and staff need some training. Friendly, but no sense of urgency when dealing with matters with guests.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Martinsburg, West Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

The hotel was poor, but the customer service was worse. It was horrible! From the beginning this was a terrible experience. This was leading to a holiday weekend in New Orleans (Mardi Gras), but instead of having extra help on hand, there were only two people at the desk and one was constantly on the phone. The result was a long line of people waiting to check in. When I finally reached the desk, it seems that the receptionist double swiped my card which nearly wiped out my debit account. I found out the next day when routinely checking my balance. I immediately went to the desk to talk to them about it. I was told that they realized it the previous day and had processed a refund. Two problems with that, first, they knew about it, but no one bothered to notify me, and second, I was told it would take up to five days for the refund to show up-even tho it only took a minute of inattention on their part to take my money. So here I am, hundreds of miles away from home for almost a week without access to the money that I'd budgeted for my trip. There was no apology, no attempt to make amends and in fact, the receptionist became rude and talked down to me. Why was I made to feel like a foolish kid and like I'd done something wrong when I was the one being seriously inconvenienced? I was not even allowed to speak to the manager. Each time I inquired about the manager, I was told she wasn't available and that they would give her a message to contact me - never happened. I'm not rich and had to save for this trip so this careless mistake caused me to sharply curtail my intended activities and eating while in the city - and everyone knows about the food in the Big Easy. Several of the receptionists were rude and showed no concern or sympathy for my situation - especially one in particular. Other problems were that, for whatever reason, the keys wouldn't hold the room code and had to be recoded everyday. With the complimentary breakfast, the grits were usually burnt and some things were never replenished. Apparently the towels are so well guarded, we couldn't get any extra towels from the desk if the maid was already gone. There was a stale or mildew like smell in the room - especially in the bathroom, which had no vents and the tub drained very slowly. There were some strange black spots on the ceiling so it could have been mildew. The manager was in the hotel when we were checking out and I finally got to talk to her on my last day. She said no one had given her my messages. I don't know who was not telling the truth, but I do know that this was the worst vacation I've ever experienced.
Note: The money finally showed up in my account on my last day in New Orleans - this was the sixth day. I was so relived because I didn't even have enough money left to buy gasoline for my trip back home to Texas. Needless to say, I don't recommend this hotel and would never return, even if everything is sold out.

Room Tip: No elevator - 3 floors.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

We arrived in New Orleans late on a Wednesday night, on the GPS this showed up as The Clarion, check in was slow, computers weren't working, but found the room to be comfortable for the night, kinda pricey for $99.00, next morning found out you can check in at the Econolodge,which is on the same property, and check in at the same desk for $69.00, as stated rooms were OK for sleeping, not much highway noise, and 5 minutes from the French Quarter, where we spent most of our time anyway. Seems like a safe neighborhood, with plenty of lighting!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank commishWisconsin
Fenton, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Smoke detector missing from frame. Clock did not work. Mold in bathroom. Needs updating badly. Had to wait 45 minutes for shuttle to pick us up after cruise. Breakfast was better than we anticipated after seeing the room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Key Colony Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

We chose this place because it included a week of parking and free transportation to the cruise port. It was not worth it. We booked a room for 5 people. When we checked in and got to the room we found that we had been assigned a tiny room with that barely fit two double beds. We contacted the front desk and they said we would have to get two rooms... they didn't have rooms for five. This reservation had been made for five by phone and confirmed! Note that their web site did and STILL DOES SHOW rooms for five.

We called ChoiceHotels directly since we couldn't get any resolution from the front desk. The final resolution was to stuff a roll-away bed in the room that really wasn't big enough for the two beds already in there. There wasn't even room to walk between beds.

The room itself was marginal. The beds were old and not comfortable. At least the place wasn't filthy but I wouldn't call it "Spick and Span". Even if we only had the standard two beds this place was miserable.

The free breakfast was just adequate. Normally ChoiceHotels facilities have a waffle machine for fresh, hot waffles... but not this one.

The parking for the week was just outside in their parking lot... no security and anyone could walk in off the street. I do have to say that transportation to the port for embarkation and back after the end of the cruise was fine. This hotel has two busses dedicated for that purpose.

I guess I should add that the wifi worked well.

Do yourself a favor... if you are going on a cruise and are looking for inexpensive parking for the week, find some place else. And get a decent place to stay. Start your vacation with a smile instead of the indigestion this place will give you.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna
Days Inn Gretna New Orleans
Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower
La Quinta Inn New Orleans West Bank / Gretna
Comfort Suites New Orleans
Comfort Suites New Orleans
#111 of 161 in New Orleans
Courtyard New Orleans Westbank/Gretna
Baymont Inn & Suites Marrero

Been to Knights Inn Gretna New Orleans West Bank? Share your experiences!