“Better than anticipated”

Knights Inn Gretna New Orleans West Bank
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Gretna
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Many reviews have been quite critical of this property and although it isn't a five star, or even a four star, it served our needs extremely well. Room was clean, beds and bedding were very comfortable. Free breakfast in the morning was also worthwhile. Hot and cold items and fresh fruit.
Could have used more staff when checking in, but afterwards staff was very helpful pointing us to a great place for supper and then putting us on the shuttle to the port in the morning for our cruise.

Room Tip: Be nice to staff when checking in. They are busy and appreciate your patience and it got us a good r...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Canada2

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Very similiar experience to other guests who chose this hotel for their park and cruise rate. While I did save money on parking while on my cruise, I will choose a different hotel and pay the extra to park at the port next time I cruise out of New Orleans. Took us over an hour to get checked in. Sounds as if we were lucky and our rooms were fairly clean and unoccupied at least. They offer a park and cruise rate to attract cruisers so they need to be prepared for the influx of guests the night before a cruise by having extra staff available instead of the one desk clerk to check in the hundreds of guests coming in. The next morning

2  Thank okrunnergirl
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Tried to pre-checkin around 11am. NO! Were told the rooms were overbooked and the housekeeping was under staffed. Come back at 3pm for check in. We arrived back at 3pm to a line that was out the door and into the parking lot! We stood in line for 4 HOURS waiting to be checked in!!!! LaTonya had AWFUL customer service skills and poor Charlene had to work a 12 hour shift because of LaTonya's bad managing skills. We finally got our room….at 7:30pm! It was ok but there isn't enough parking and I had to park on the other side of the building from my room. STAY HERE AT YOUR LAST RESORT!!!!!

1  Thank Jeanice B
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Arrived at 3:40 and was not checked in until 5:45 and still was not completely in as we THOUGHT per Internet description we were getting a suite with enough room for 5 to sleep- when in reality it was an adjoining room that had the bathroom removed with a table, bar, couch and second tv. Had to request and wait on roll away for our 5th guest. Choice Hotels has screwed the pooch on this property. Either turn it into a Econo and charge accordingly - change the highly exaggerated offerings online or just fix the problem. Logistics and basic fundamentals of managing a property is not present at this location. They had 2 clerks that were trying their best to check in between 200-250 guests that were destined for cruises the next day. When we were finished at the desk the line was longer than it was when we arrived at 3.40. I will pray for those behind me In line. They supposedly offer a free shuttle. We will see how that works out and add additional comments as necessary.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Michael F
Reviewed 22 March 2014

It took 2.5 hours to check in. Then the electricity in the room did not work and still had crap in the toilet. While I stood in line
I called choice hotels because it too late to cancel and they refused to not charge me so I could go to another hotel. They moved us to another room and have to hope they do not give it to another person. The people in line in front of is went to the room and came back because the previous occupant was still there.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank tgpgjg
Reviewed 19 March 2014

This is one of the nastiest places I have ever stayed. They have lots of problems at this hotel. The first room they gave us, already had someone in there. There was a lot of people in the lobby trying to get their rooms sorted out. There was all kinds of issues at this hotel. The room was dirty. There was sunflower seed shells on the floor. My husband said there was strange hair on the pillow he used. (of course, he didn't tell me till we check out) This place charges way too much for what you get. I will never stay there again, and I would never recommend this place to anyone. I highly urge people to stay somewhere else. If we hadn't already prepaid we would have left, but I thought we could handle it for one night, but even though it's been almost two weeks since we stayed there, every time I think about it I get grossed out.

The elevator smelled like an outdoor toilet. Some of the other issues other people had they couldn't get their keys to work to get in their room, some people waited hours to get in their room because of key issues. One guy went to his room and the lights didn't work, the air didn't work, the tv didn't work and there was dog poo on the floor.

Room Tip: Do Not Stay Here!!!!
1  Thank Paula E
Reviewed 16 March 2014

A torn and in tatters US flag greets you as you enter this place. Stayed 2 nights.Exceptionally poor management. Computers have been out of order for atleast two weeks and front desk checks you in by hand. Only two bookings to check in at midnight and it took 45 minutes. Got the wrong room number as available rooms need to be manually checked. Had to lug my bags across two blocks to finally get into my room. Room is clean but most gadgets especially the plug points in poor condition.Saw long crowds waiting patiently 2 days running. Front desk staff do an exceptionally tedious process of manually checking you in. Some guests might have waited 2 hours plus to get a room- after pre booking and paying in advance.
Directions given also incorrect. Quality inn and Econolodge occupy the same address.
Promised free inter net, news paper, coffee n tea in the lobby etc. Nothing was available or worked. Highly avoidable even if this is your last choice.Plenty of rooms n parking but dis satisfied staff and dis interested owners make for a poor experience.
How difficult is it too repair your computers?????????

Room Tip: Go some place else owners are not interested in maintaining the place.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank APMCHENG
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna
Historic Streetcar Inn
#141 of 167 in New Orleans
Algiers
Federal City Inn & Suites
Federal City Inn & Suites
#66 of 167 in New Orleans

Been to Knights Inn Gretna New Orleans West Bank? Share your experiences!