“Great stay in NOLA”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Anna, Texas
“Great stay in NOLA”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I chose to stay in this location due to the price of the hotels in the Quarter. It was a great stay! Teresa Vicknair at the front desk was helpful and always had a great attitude! Getting to the Quarter isn't hard from here, the drive is about 9 minutes or if you plan on drinking the taxi is between $15 and $21 each way.
There is a full service restaurant and bar on site. Dinner was great each night, but I wasn't very fond of breakfast, I didn't like the buffet the first morning so ordered off the menu the next (both my toast and bacon were cold).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
HolidayInnWestbank, General Manager at Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Hi Erin,

Thanks so much for your business, feedback, and recognition of Teresa's efforts. Teresa is certainly a shining star for us and I will share with her your recognition. It will make her day and I will also recognize her during an all-associate rally in the next couple of weeks.

I appreciate your feedback on f&b offerings and we will use your comments to improve. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I want to make certain future guests get only our best.

We know there are lots of hotels in the New Orleans metro area and you have plenty of choices. We consider it a great honor that you chose us and then share your experience with the world. We do hope you keep us in mind for future trip our area.

Very best to you and yours,

Dustin Floyd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 26 January 2014

If visiting NOLA and have rented or arrive with own car great place to stay. Free parking just 5 to 10 minutes (depending on traffic) to downtown. Since the Hotel is round rooms are big. Bill mall across the street and a lot places where to eat. Staff is very nice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
WOW - fantastic review from a Senior Reviewer - we are very honored and thank you!!

We appreciate feedback from all of our wonderful Tripadvisor friends but it awesome when a seasoned traveler and reviewer such as yourself takes the time to pen such a nice review.

I especially appreciate you pointing out our close proximity to downtown and the great value of our free guest parking.

Your business is important to us and on behalf of the entire staff thank you very much for supporting us and allowing us to do what we love, serving our great guest. Please do keep us in mind for future visits to the area.

Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I would really rank this hotel a 1 for cleanliness and a 5 for customer service. The room was absolutely unacceptable when we checked in due to the red drink stains on the floor and even worst the stains of bodily fluids and other misc stains on the white bedspreads. I was completely disgusted and was surprised that housekeeping made the bed with the bedspreads looking this way. I immediately called down stairs and a lady named Serena assisted in changing out all of the bedding. Serena was extremely apologetic and was quite surprised herself. She was great. The receptionist was very quick with responding to my issue and also extremely apologetic and stated that they would address the issue with the staff promptly. We booked this hotel because of a work conference as we normally stay in New Orleans. In the future we will stay in Nola!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Alicia S
HolidayInnWestbank, General Manager at Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Hi Alicia,

I've hesitated responding to this review because I'm shocked at what I've read and wanted to follow up with you personally. Please email me at dfloyd@hiwestbank.com so I can get to the bottom of this, make certain it occurred at our property, and work to make this right.

I assure you cleanliness is of the utmost importance to you and I hope that is demonstrated in the other reviews here. We are committed to ensuring our guests are not only satisfied but leave our property truly delighted with plans to return.

Please do contact me at your earliest convenience. Your business is important and I want to ensure you are left with a positive impression of our property.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

The reviews were generally true. So, there was no surprises and I like that. The room we had did need a good vacuuming in the hard places. They could take a broom and do this and then vacuum. Nothing really bad. It seemed clean. Nice size. The staff is excellent and was very nice when we checked out and called us by name as soon as we mentioned our room number. They asked about the wedding and did we enjoy our stay. I would say we definitely enjoyed our stay. This is an older property which shows a little wear and tear. But obviously, a large renovation took place at some time. Our niece said the restaurant had very good food. I can't think of anything except maybe the price. We got a good price and it was Sugar Bowl time. Paid in advance for several months. Current rates for that period was very high and I would say it is not a good choice for your money in the $160-$200. It is hard to say because hotels close to downtown areas are very expensive. This is on the west bank but very close to the Mississippi River Bridge and very easy to drive into the city or call a cab. We saw a lot of cabs at the hotel. I think it is probably between very good and average. Just a few little things keep it from being a total very good. Service was definitely very good.

Room Tip: Someone else mentioned being at the back of the hotel facing north. We did not ask for this but we...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MEGrammy
Thanks for your positive review of our property. I did take note of your suggestions and will share them with our team in order to improve the experience of future guests. We value your business and appreciate that you shared your review with the world.

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Very Best,

West Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We booked this hotel because it offered free parking while we were on our cruise. Room was very spacious with newer well kept furniture. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows. Bathroom was clean and well lit. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Received a great recommendation to a local restaurant called Zydeco. If you go there, try the shrimp/crab meat pasta. It was wonderful!

There are signs everywhere to be aware of your surroundings at the hotel, so I was somewhat nervous about leaving my car unattended for a week. But it was still there and undamaged when we returned.

This didn't disturb us, but the traffic noise was fairly loud. So if noise bothers you, you might want to ask for a room facing away from the highway.

We received two free vouchers for the buffet breakfast which was good. There was fruit, sausage, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, fresh fruit, pancakes, cereal and more.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jeanette S
HolidayInnWestbank, General Manager at Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Jeanette,

Your review was just awesome and we certainly thank you for it. It takes time to craft a helpful review and you certainly worked to hit on everything so thanks for that.

Clean, friendly, and helpful are all words I love to see when reading a review of our property. Our staff lives for the next review and I can't wait to share you words with everyone here. They are going to be on cloud 9 for sure.

Thanks again for your review and your business! We look forward to seeing you back real soon.

At Your Service,

Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Let's begin by saying that this location is very particular because of the shape of the building. It was amazing! The fact that it was round made the rooms super spacious, it was one of the biggest rooms I have ever stayed at! The front desk staff is very nice! They remember you and greet you anytime you go by. I had a meeting at the hotel and even the participants were impressed at how nice the staff was!

As for the building, I must say, at least the 14th floor halls need brighter lighting, the current color scheme combined with the lighting makes the floor gloomy and gives it an old feel.

Coming back to the room, the beds are super comfortable, but there is a need for new sheets. My room was just serviced before I checked in and about 10 minutes in, the housekeeping staff knocked at my door, thinking that I had been in the room previously and offered turndown service, when I explained that I had just checked in, she asked if I needed anything and I told her about a stain on the sheets and the lady, very nicely changed the sheets and gave me some nice Andes chocolates, my favorite!! I have to also say that this property has the same problem that others I have visited around the world, in parts of the carpet, you can see where the vacuum cleaner reaches, because there is a visible line of dust all around where the vacuum can't reach. Otherwise, I loved the fact that the furniture and bathroom was spotless!! I have to admit that the coffee maker was a small Keurig, which is awesome!

On the restaurant side, I must say that the Roadhouse restaurant is really good. i had the special on a Monday and an amazing cajun pasta! The only thing I must say is that one of the days, the waitress actually charged me more than the check was and I noticed only after I had returned home, and the next day, although the waitress was different, I was only informed of the fact that there was no card processing machine only after I had dined, and at that point she suggested to go to the hotel ATM to get money, until I explained it was a corporate card and she realized I was a hotel guest and she offered to charge to my room, which was great!

In summary, I would go back to this property, the staff, location, and facilities make it a nice place to stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Sr. Reviewer Joseanmr,

Thanks for your business and your review! Your pictures were an excellent addition to a very thorough and thoughtful review.

I especially appreciate you highlighting the friendliness of our staff! I'm admittedly partial, but I feel that we are lucky to be surrounded by the best and brightest in the hospitality industry. Thanks for noticing!!

We know that there are lots of lodging options in the greater New Orleans area and thank you for choosing our property. Please do return, we are anxious to welcome you back!!

Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a recent weekend in NOLA because all of the rooms in the French Quarter were booked. The facility itself is conveniently located across the river from NOLA and works well if you have a car. However, it is located right beside a busy four lane highway from the bridge crossing the river, so be sure to ask for a room on the quiet side. We asked for such a room a month prior to our stay, so I wasn't happy to arrive and find that we were assigned to a room on the fifth floor overlooking the noisy highway.

The light switch at the door controls a floor lamp, which was turned off, so we stumbled around in the dark until finally finding the lamp on the desk. The room was uncomfortably warm, so I called down to the front desk because the AC wouldn't come on. Furthermore, neither of our iPads or iPhones would connect to the free WiFi, no matter how we adjusted the settings. There was no need for the password that the front desk provided, as the attempted connection was so slow that it just spun & spun and timed out.

By now, I was hot, tired, and very frustrated. I spoke with a woman at the front desk (Amanda?) who was very helpful. She reassigned us to a room on the other side of the tower, she came to our room to assist in moving our luggage, and she got us (finally!) connected to the WiFi server. She also left us vouchers for two free breakfasts (see below). As soon as she left, I went to get ice in our ice bucket (with a dirty lid inside), only to find that the ice maker on that floor was not working. Rather than call the front desk again, I went to another floor to get ice.

The plus side? The beds were very comfortable and both firm and soft pillows were provided.

The other negatives? The carpets were stained, we were not given bath mats when our room was cleaned, and our ice bucket was left with melted ice. The only light in the bathroom is for the small closed toilet/shower room AND the area over the sink. My husband likes to have the bathroom light on during the night, so our entire room was lit because of the inability to turn off the lights over the sink.

Furthermore, the free breakfast that we had was awful. We arrived in the dining area and stood by the sign telling us to wait to be seated. After waiting and waiting and with no one coming to seat us, we approached a server who was clearing a table. She sent us back to the door, called to another employee who was exiting the kitchen area, and we were finally seated. Rather than use the buffet line, since it was already mid-morning, we ordered the special (two eggs with bacon & a biscuit). The eggs and biscuits were OK; the bacon was inedible. It was overcooked and brittle. When we finally got our server's attention, she offered us the choice of more bacon or sausage. We asked for sausage, which was not overcooked, but neither was the taste or texture good. It seemed to be a product that had been precooked, frozen, and then microwaved. It also took quite a long time to get a drink refill. Needless to say, we threw away the remaining free breakfast coupon for our second morning and ate elsewhere.

Would we stay here again? Probably not. I did appreciate the front desk mgr. who assisted us in getting another room and the fact that the hotel manager offered his cell phone number to guests. Our accommodations at this hotel were average, at best.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the quiet side!! It says a lot that the cleaning cart stocks earplugs for the gues...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Bulldog_Lover2013
To our bulldog loving friend from Charlotte,

Thanks so much for your business and for sharing your thoughts via Tripadvisor.

I'm sorry that there seemed so be so many incidents during your stay. That is certainly not how we like to do business. I do appreciate the fact that you took the time to review the entire stay as a whole and provide constructive criticism in order that we may improve.

We don't consider our hotel to be an average property and the fact that you rated us as such is certainly an eye-opener. Your full verbatim review has been printed and shared with each department and we are action planning a strategy based upon what you shared. Please understand that we take these reviews very seriously and will consider each bit of feedback you provided.

Thanks for noticing the fact that my personal cellphone number is posted in each elevator for every guest. This is a simple gesture which proves that we stand behind our product. I encourage any of our guests to contact me at any point throughout their stay if they feel we can do more to ensure a perfect stay each and every time.

Again, I apologize that you experienced difficulties. If your travel plans include New Orleans in the future I ask that you give us another chance to wow you and I assure you that you will not be disappointed. Thanks for your business and happy travels...

Dustin Floyd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gretna
Central Business District
Garden District
Prytania Park
Prytania Park
#102 of 164 in New Orleans

Been to Holiday Inn New Orleans West Bank Tower? Share your experiences!