All reviewsthe pubholly bushthe ownerkielder observatorybar areabeer gardengreat foodgreen roomevening mealsausagekielder watermy partnerfriendly localsdark skieswarm welcomeopen firea great place to stay
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I have just had an amazing weekend staying at the Hollybush Inn. I travelled to Northumberland with two other couples to take part in the Kielder marathon. We were made to feel very welcome from start to finish. The accommodation was top class, clean and well decorated. We had a fabulous breakfast made by extremely friendly staff. Superb evening meals, in fact, after the marathon I just fancied a sandwich, not on the menu and this was absolutely no problem for the chef. The locals in the bar were so friendly, providing lots of banter on an evening. I would definitely stay again and will recommend to others especially since dogs are allowed and the surrounding area is just so beautiful for outdoor activities. Just be aware that on a weekday, you cannot gain access to check in until 5pm but the Cheviot Hotel down the road in Bellingham provides warmth and hydration if you arrive a little early! Perfect weekend!

Room Tip: If you want an early night, ask for a room that isn't above the pub.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
TheHollyBushInn, Owner at The Holly Bush Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thanks for the great review, so glad you enjoyed being with us. Just a quick note to say that we check in from 4pm midweek and 2pm at weekends

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Smashing community inn; full of life, vibrancy.....oh and good wholesome food and real ales......and the views are superb too. Anywhere near Kielder......go the extra mile to this wee gem! Good service too whether a traveller or local. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

The room was cosy, clean and comfortable.The food was good, The staff were very helpful and had no objection to filling our flask. The crack in the the bar with the locals by the open fire was great. wish we had booked two nights. will return.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

We visited on a Tuesday evening. There were a couple of other diners eating. The small premises are nice & welcoming, with pleasant lighting. I ordered hummus to start, which arrived with a few mini breadsticks & a couple of floppy bits of red pepper. The menu stated it came with pitta bread & crudites. Hmm, disappointment number 1. My main was fillet of salmon with ginger, garlic & coriander dressing. It arrived as a very dry 'mini fillet' without any dressing.
All in all it was average food. I wouldn't eat there again. Expensive for what you got.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
TheHollyBushInn, Owner at The Holly Bush Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

I always find it strange that people review every meal they have when travelling. To me Trip Advisor was reviews about where you stayed. I am always therefore surprised when we are reviewed as a food destination. We are a great little country pub (not many of us left....) with rooms and we serve food. Mainly home cooked, sourced as locally as possible and at very fair prices. The Holly Bush is about the 'whole' experience i.e. the bar and chatting to the locals, the comfortable ensuite bedrooms and the simple honest food.
I am sorry you were disappointed with your meal - we take great care with the Hummus and infuse it with tagine paste, chilli oil and top it with pine nuts. I am not sure why you didn't get any dressing with your salmon but I apologise if the fillet was too small, if the fishmonger delivered small fillets the chef should really have given you 2 pieces. We charge £12.95 for 2 courses which I think is very good value for money. For future food reviews, I always think it is also worth voicing your disappointment at the venue so the owners have a chance to put it right.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

We booked a last minute weekend here for the August bank holiday.to escape to the country. Overall it was an excellent weekend. The staff are great - sorry to hear others had the odd bit of bother but we had a great experience. They were really friendly and great with my young son....especially understanding even when he chucked his breakfast on the floor... both mornings :)

The room we had (grey room) had been decorated recently, was really spacious and very comfortable. I noticed the complaint about flies below - I'd guess those folk are not used to the countryside. There were a few flies and spiders but you need to understand the area of the country you're in - we do share this fab area with the insects and animals.

The hotel website says no loud music but both nights we were there the bar was jumping :) A fab singer one night and I think a buskers evening the second one. We had the little guy with us so we stayed outside in the beer garden. If it had just been me & the missus, we'd definitely have been in there for both nights.

I can't understand any of the complaints about food - both of our dinners were great and the fantastic breakfasts give you something to walk off while exploring the local area. The locals in the pub were stars - really nice people and we felt so welcome. We loved our hike on the Sunday exploring the the Black Middens and other areas we'd been given as tips.

One word of warning would be for taking really little kids - our son is 2 - the garden area wasn't really that kid-friendly because there were loads of nettles around the edges so it was a little difficult to relax and let him run around.

We'd definitely go back (maybe when the little guy is just a little older) and would recommend the Hollybush to anyone looking for a nice escape to the country.

Many thanks to the staff and locals for a lovely weekend!

Room Tip: The grey room was perfect for us - family with a small child, close enough to the bar & restaurant and completely silent at night. We didnt see any of the other rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family