All reviews the pub holly bush the owner kielder observatory bar area beer garden great food green room evening meal sausage kielder water my partner friendly locals dark skies warm welcome open fire a great place to stay
Reviewed 1 February 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights, the first one was when we'd booked into the observatory. We were made so welcome we didn't want to leave to go there to be honest! Food was excellent, simple menu with great choices and puddings to die for.
Banter with the locals was great, room very clean and functional with comfy bed and lovely bathroom. We took our Rhodesian Ridgeback dog who was also welcomed and accommodation and bar great for her too.
Would definitely recommend, Mary you have a fabulous, welcoming inn!

Room Tip: Brown room perfect if you have a large dog!
1  Thank Rachel68761
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed at the Hollybush Inn just before Christmas. Room was clean, warm and had excellent quality pillows and duvet.
We ate in the restaurant both nights. I wish I could cook cauliflower as good as theirs!!! Food was good honest home cooked value for money food. Breakfast was good.
The bar was choc-a-block our first night but everyone was really friendly. The real fire in the bar was lovely, my other half and I sat playing cards in front of it for a few hours whilst it lashed down outside.
Staff were lovely and friendly.
We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2014

we visited the national park for the dark skies experience but found alot more we stayed at the hollybush as the name is the same!! and what a treat, it was lovely very welcoming, great staff and the locals in the bar in the evening were very friendly, the food was very nice and the breakfast was just what we needed to set us up for the day as we did have alot of walking planned.the room we stayed in was lovely and very clean we would definately stay here again

1  Thank holly s
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We have been to the Hollybush a number of times and have never been disappointed. We always get a very warm welcome, some excellent grub and a good night in the bar. The Hollybush Inn now comes with an extra bonus, due to its location; it is inside the newly created Dark-Sky Northumberland Park, Dark Sky status was awarded in December 2013. This means guests need only to walk outside into the garden of the B&B and be greeted with the most amazing night sky vista. This location is a must for stargazers or anyone looking for a great place to stay in some stunning countryside. Also the Kielder Observatory (which has many observing events) is a short drive from the B&B.

I recommend that you book early to guarantee a room for any up and coming astronomical event or if you’re not visiting for astronomy just a really good place to spend a night to sample some good Northumbria hospitality, you'll be back for sure.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

On a cold and blustery winter evening a couple of us ventured out to find a haven where we could spend a few hours away from our accommodation.
When we entered our first impression was of a quaint, old fashioned Inn with a superb log fire and an initial warm welcome, we felt we had struck gold and immediately sent word for the rest of the party to join us.This I believe was the start of the problem.
First of all may I say the Inn is very small, just two rooms from what we could see.
During the summer you have access to the rear beer garden but in winter you are restricted to just the small bar and restaurant area.Our party numbered eleven and together with several more locals, who came to enjoy their evening, filled the Inn.
The children aged 10-17 where sitting at a table in the eating area due to the fact there was nowhere else for them and we did not want to overcrowd the bar.Sadly we were made to feel uncomfortable,the children were asked to leave the tables even though there was no-one to take their place and a few jokes, thrown in our direction from the regulars, did not help the situation.
So we left.
I will say the Holly Bush Inn is beautiful, with a warm decor, superb log fire and healthy selection of beers and wine.Unfortunately we never had time to experience the excellent cuisine (see other reviews).
I feel though we may have arrived at a bad time and that bad time affected not only our night but also our short Christmas break.I would still go back but with less people.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Lee S
TheHollyBushInn, Owner at The Holly Bush Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

I am not really sure how to respond to this as my initial reaction was one of disbelief that someone could give us a 2 star rating when they have neither stayed or eaten with us.....
Firstly thank you for your positive comments regarding the atmosphere, the décor etc... and also for saying that you would come back. We often have large parties who are camping close by and call in with children or teenagers who are looking for a warm spot to spend an hour or two and we always, without fail, welcome everyone, hence the great reviews we get. You came just before we started serving evening meals (over 22 pre-booked for the room the children were in for that night) and the waitress had to set up the tables which the children had pushed together - why else would we have moved them ? The other room which you were not aware of was also booked by a party of 18 from another campsite for a Christmas meal. I think you have taken umbrage when you haven't fully appreciated the logistics of running a small country inn. We often have a good idea of how many meals we will serve, however, we never know from one night to the next, how busy the bar will be and fortunately most people are good natured about how 'congested' or 'cosy' it can be !