“Great place to stay near Kielder”
Review of The Holly Bush Inn

The Holly Bush Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Greenhaugh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Stayed for 2 nights and loved it. Clean, spacious rooms and great breakfast. Polite and helpful staff. Only a few miles from all the Kielder attractions. We ate in the restaurant on one of the evenings and the food was excellent. Decent WiFi too. Recommended.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank peterobb

Reviewed 30 August 2014

We stayed just for one night and had a brilliant time. The food was amazing, one of the best places I have eaten and we will definitely be going back. The staff were all very friendly, the room was spacious, clean, and really nicely decorated. The pub has a lovely feel to it and we spent some of the evening chatting to the staff and locals. We felt so welcome and I can't stress enough how lovely this place is! We also had a lovely clear view of the night sky right outside the door.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I wanted somewhere near to Kielder Forest and picked this as they one single room left.

This is pub with rooms and very good seated dining. Popular with locals and visitors staying elsewhere it's more like being in a private house in the bar. The eating area is separate and peaceful compared with the lovely bar.

My single room was once at outhouse but was spacious and comfortable with a quality ensuite all well decorated. Quality toiletries and 'fluffy' towels.

Meal I had was good pub grub and the local beers were good. This area is dark sky and the patio is great place to watch the stars

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have great views
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Cottamweb
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Had a nice stay back in July,after staying in a big city we were looking for somewhere peaceful and this fits the bill perfectly.Rooms are cosy,shower and toiletries were nice.Did not have dinner but enjoyed my breakfast in the morning.My wife was not feeling well so missed breakfast and the owner/manager was nice enough to make up a takeaway for her.Staff were friendly enough and the locals are a real hoot.WiFi reception in our room was not good and as were booking hotels as we went we needed it but pub had good reception so no big deal.Do one of the nature walks there but don't get lost as we did

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We holidayed nearby & were recommended to come here.

First impression was excellent, lovely village, proper little pub & entertaining banter! Good beer, poor quality wine & soft drinks from cans at bar prices ! But everyone has to try & make a living !

The real let down was the distinctly average food. Steak & ale pie was passable, the lasagne was dry & tasteless & the side dish portion sizes were of nouveau cuisine stature. But resounding issue was the prices, £65 bill for a family of 4, 1 course & a couple of drinks was like Dick Turpin returning !

I'll pay money for quality & great service but this lacked either!

Great venue, just needs attention to its products to match it's facade!

• Stayed: August 2014
TheHollyBushInn, Owner at The Holly Bush Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thanks for the 4 stars, which doesn't not drag our overall rating down and I really appreciate this as you weren't totally satisfied with your experience. The steak and ale pie is actually one of most popular dishes. Our wine costs £3.50 for 175ml and is poured fresh from a bottle as opposed to a box or cask, I personally do not like 'poor quality wine' so I wouldn't offer it. Can of coke £1 - served in a glass with ice and lemon ! We do not do 'side portions' are you sure you are reviewing the right venue ? The bill £65 family of 4 ,ok lets address this well £9.95 - £12.95 for a main and I don't know how many drinks you had - was it a couple per person ? So lets guesstimate this - one pint of ale, one wine and two cokes x 2 (a couple of drinks) so that's £17.40 that's leaves £47.60 for 4 home cooked meals - very much doubt that Dick Turpin or Adam Ant would have 'made a living' at these prices....

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Paying £45 for b&b in a pub I was looking forward to a little luxury. I didn’t get it. A completely lacklustre welcome set the scene. We thought she was the owner. We dined in the pub, we thought it was OK. We sampled the strangest crumble ever – more like a suet pudding. Breakfast was disappointing; warm orange juice and packet cereal. No menu to suggest what was on offer next. The floor around the table was dirty from the diners the night before. We were asked did we want a cooked breakfast, we said yes. One of our party announced she was vegetarian so she got what we got minus the bacon and sausage! We got all white toast. Everyone only got 1 rasher of bacon and 1 sausage. The whole breakfast service was left to 2 young people who I felt really sorry for. It was a lot to ask of them. The following morning was better; the chef was there, our rations were doubled. On enquiry there were even vegetarian sausages on offer.

The rooms were quite pretty and functional, but both mattresses were way too soft and my partner is still struggling with back pain as a result. The drinks tray only had coffee and tea on it, no decaf, hot choc or herbal. The wifi only worked if you were in the bar area.

When we tried to check out there was 1 young person left holding the fort and he didn’t know how much to charge us. He was very apologetic and again I really felt for him, he seemed to be new. We found out the owners were on holiday, the lady who welcomed us had left and we had to wait for their son to reappear on his quad bike. He didn’t seem to know what to charge us either.

I wondered whether Kielder in general commanded high accommodation prices but there seems to be other great options that are less pricey or similar. This place has some serious lessons to learn about customer service and breakfasts! At no point did anyone seem interested in whether we were OK, nobody asked us what we thought after any meal or on checking out. I wouldn’t go back.

Tip: When visiting Kielder douse yourself with insect repellent night and day, the midges etc are ferocious!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Really sorry that you didn't get more than just the B and B you had booked with us and I can see from the length of your review you obviously pay a lot of attention to detail. Thanks for saying the rooms were quite pretty and functional as this is the only positive I can take from this review. I was not at the pub that weekend as my elderly parent was rushed into hospital - I was not on holiday; my assistant Manager was and we would never normally be off together for obvious reasons - I just left everyone to cope and they did their very best, and as you say they are just young people and its totally my fault that you did not enjoy your stay, sincere apologies.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We went as a party of 4 for dinner. The place was packed - thank goodness we had booked ahead that day! There was a "wake" on for a popular local character so this explained the mid week mayhem. But everyone was in good spirits (some literally) and in spite of the crush, the service was excellent, as was the food. A much better atmosphere than the rather stuffy and unwelcoming Riverdale Hotel we had tried the night before! Thank you to all who were serving on the evening of 29 July.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenhaugh
Grapes Hotel
#3 of 11 in Rothbury
Cheviot Hotel
Cheviot Hotel
#1 of 5 in Bellingham

Been to The Holly Bush Inn? Share your experiences!