All reviewsthe pubholly bushthe ownerkielder observatorybar areabeer gardengreat foodgreen roomevening mealsausagekielder watermy partnerfriendly localsdark skieswarm welcomeopen firea great place to stay
Reviewed 3 November 2009

Although a little remote, this place is perfect if that's what you are after. A great little pub with good standard rooms above. No TVs - no problem - as the walking and activities in this area are superb. Fabulous hosts and friendly punters, with decent enough pub grub on offer.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2009

The Hollybush Inn must be very hard be bettered if you're looking for a cozy pub with rooms somewhere a bit remote, in Northumberland or anywhere in England I imagine. It's still got bags of character, in an old buidling even after being 'cleaned up' a bit, and seems to have hung onto its role as the centre of the local neighbourhood. We got thoroughly drawn into the Sunday darts night banter as the out of towners in the main front room, and discovered most of the history of the local 'bastles' (look it up, thanks Alistair, I think I can remember most of it, including the wall thicknesses). We got upgraded from a room in the adjacent cottage to the double in the same building as the pub, when a family room was required, and it was lovely. NIce view out from the bathroom if you sat down. The owner and 1 woman staff did really well considering they had to do all the pub and B&B work with people off ill, and were really accommodating. The breakfasts are great, the food in the evening decent and very warming, and there was lots of hot water. The short staffing did mean that the room didn't get 'made up' at all during the day though, but this wasn't really any inconvenience. The real big hit for me were the fantastic open wood fire in a range on the entrance wall after coming in from a phenomenally quiet evening stroll with more stars than you can count. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2009

We stumbled on the Hollybush Inn by accident after a day at Kielder looking for pubs in the area (no one opened before 6.30pm) and we were taken aback by just how friendly everyone was. I went in on my own initially and left the family in the car as it was raining. There was a lovely friendly lady stood behind the bar (sorry but didn't get to know her name) who made me feel very welcome as soon as I walked in, a warm genuine smile (I am in the business myself so I feel that I can spot a genuine smile a mile off). The fire was a draw as it was just what we needed. It isn't like a pub, it is like walking into someones front room. We were made to feel really welcome and ordered drinks and the four of us sat at a really large table near the door. We immediately felt at home and not 'intruding'. The place has a real genuine feel and even when the locals arrived (almost 2 by 2 over half an hour) when there became approx 10 of them, they even acknowledged us, spoke nicely to us and never once made us feel anything other than totally welcome (they were stood up and we were sat down, probably in their seats). We felt so at home that we stayed for 4 drinks and ate also. The food is what I would describe as good honest home made food, nothing mindblowing, but just what you need after a long day outside with the family. I had the lamb with cous cous, maybe not the first choice on most peoples list, but cooked adequately well. My youngest son had the childrens menu and we were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't the usual drap rubbish that we have come to expect.

We had unfortunately been recommended a place to stay for our 3rd night (that night) and wouldn't recommend them to others. We have decided not to name them or be the first to write a review as they weren't great but weren't awfull so we feel it best to let someone else be the first to write a review. As a result we didn't stay at the Hollybush, much to our disappointment.

We had asked to see the rooms at the Hollybush and although busy, the lady behind the bar couldn't do enough for us. She duly showed us the rooms (even though she knew we wouldn't be staying that night) and the rooms were very tastefully done. Nothing pretending to be something that they weren't.

To summarise: if you want somewhere genuine, honest and with good beer, wine and food, don't waste your time looking for anywhere else. The Hollybush Inn would definitely be the place where we would look up next time that we visit the area. The staff and locals are absolutely first class and we couldn't think of anywhere we have been before where we have been made to feel as welcome.

Well done to you all and keep up the good work. We will be back 2010!.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2009

I have just come back from a weekend at the Hollybush and feel like I have been on holiday for a week. What a gorgeous place, the view from the back of the pub is etched in my memory, a picture perfect view across the Northumberland Hills. The bar has a very special ambience, a welcoming wood fire and the hum of conversation. Mary, Jules, Jane and Zoe made it such a special stay. Wonderful food, great company and amazing rooms. The stylish detail in the bedrooms is particularly good, the best shower and an extremely comfortable bed, and so peaceful. I can't recommend the Hollybush enough. A sense of community thrives here, its precious and I feel priviledged to have shared in it for a short time. Thank you to everyone.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Whilst out on my motorcycle the other day, I chanced upon, what I would now describe as 'A Find'.

I was looking for venues for future motorcycling trips and whilst stopped at a junction, wondering where I was, and where I should go, I noticed a sign for the Hollybush. It pointed from what was already a remote country road, up a futher, even more remote, country road. I was in two minds whether to venture off the beaten track but a toss of a coin and ten minutes later, I found myself standing in a cosy little bar area in front of a blazing range fire.

There were a group of locals sat at the larger of two tables and their demeanour suggested that I should be ordering a pint of real ale and joining them. Not at all the “Stay on the road, don’t go on the moor” type reception I might have expected. I fought my instinct though and instead approached 'Jules', the lady behind the bar, and asked to see the B&B accommodation.

She was more than obliging and showed me to four rooms, two above the pub itself and two above the cottage next door. The rooms were very neat, clean and tidy, and decorated in a manner befitting of a boutique hotel. By then, thinking that price may render my excursion upstairs a waste of Jules’s time, I enquired about the rates. I was wrong; I hadn’t wasted Jules’s time, and in an instant I’d booked all four rooms.

I returned with six other friends, all of whom brought their motorcycles, and we were treated to one of the most enjoyable weekends any of us has ever had. Jules, and her equally hospitable colleague Mary, had yet to employ a chef, but made a special point of sourcing one for us. Our dinner was more than adequate, as was our breakfast and even a little confusion over dinner on the Saturday was quickly resolved. Jules jumped in her car, enlisted the help of a few members of our party and disappeared 8 miles down the road to nearest takeaway. They returned, having been treated to a trip to another local hostelry, and we feasted on everything that tastes best after a few beers.

Sitting in front of the log fire, and with the help of the staff and locals, we sang, danced, pretended to play a variety of imaginary instruments and laughed the night away.

There are, of course, a few minor inconveniences; their phone is reluctant at times to accept incoming calls, which makes booking a little difficult; neither Jules or Mary are able to influence the weather, which means if you step outside, there is a small risk you might get wet; the pub ceiling is 18mm thick which means you can still hear your friends talking about you long after you’ve gone to bed – a good incentive to stay up till the death though; their piano was slightly out of tune and the consistency of their sausages a little unusual. To be perfectly honest though, it wouldn’t have been nearly as special without these little foibles. And, although there’s further developments and improvements planned, I hope things don’t change too much before our next visit.

The only thing that may put a dampener on your stay might be the hangovers, but then that’ll not be Jules or Mary’s fault, that’ll be down to the person you find staring back at you, as you stand in front of the mirror cleaning your teeth!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends