“Not Top Quality”

Olde Oaks Golf Club
Ranked #3 of 4 things to do in Haughton
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Traps aren't playable. Some greens very brown but putts still putt fairly true to line. Greens mostly on slow side. No range balls during mid-morning simply because they hadn't been picked since day before. Very limited golf shop. Now, that said, cost is reasonable. Staff is friendly. Courses are challenging. Three courses are there: Meadow - Links Style; Oaks - fairly narrow fairways; Cypress - wide open and a little boring.

This is not like the RTJ Golf Trail in Alabama. It is a privately-owned course on the Audubon Golf Trail in Louisiana and in doesn't speak well for Louisiana golf. This course needs work. The traps should be removed or fixed. The greens need better care. Most people I met said owner puts money into another course he owns, not this one.

This was an average experience. People I met were great. Cost was low. Course was disappointing.

1  Thank MAC3844

Reviewed 27 May 2013

The course has completely deteriorated, Horrible greens, no sand in traps, bare spots, dangerous cart paths. This place is a dump because of lack of any maintenance over the past years. A poster child for excessive and stupid lending by banks. Do not believe any positive reviews on this course, It will take massive maintenance and at least 2 years to correct the issues. Strangely people (idiots) are still building nice houses along the course. When the course goes fallow, there property values will plunge. Not all the for sale signs in area, PROBLEMS!

1  Thank ExplorGeo
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Myself and three other friends were looking for a nice public golf course near the Shreveport area. We were informed that Olde Oaks was one of the nicest in the area. I called and got a tee time two days before arrival. There were no problems getting a time. As we arrived on site, I was pleasantly surprised. We were greeted by two employees that loaded our clubs onto the awaiting carts. The workers were very professional, informative, and classy. As we approached hole 1 on Cypress, we were greeted by the Course Marshall. He checked our receipts, and we were on our way. We finished the Cypress nine and grabbed a few burgers they had on the grill outside the clubhouse. The Cypress/Oaks combo was a challenging 18 holes with great scenery. The tee boxes were the only areas that were not in really good condition. The experience of playing a nice course and dealing with friendly staff was well worth the inexpensive cost of the round. I will play Olde Oaks many more times in the future.

2  Thank southpawniner
A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, TX
Reviewed 31 August 2004

I came to Shreveport on business and was scheduled to play golf with a local associate at his country club. When he canceled out on our game, I went to the front desk of the Horseshoe Casino where I was lodging and reviewed their list of courses and the yellow pages. I called a few, got prices and directions and information on renting clubs.
I decided on Olde Oaks because it was relatively near the Horseshoe, the price was competitive and very reasonable and the Cobra club rental was free!
This decision opened up vistas I never imagined. The directions and prices were accurate. The course was a Hal Sutton design, who I didn't think much of because he beat my man in a big tournament awhile back. As I drove in through the new homes lining the course, it looked like similar such communities.
The late model Cobras suited me well (I'm looking for a new set of clubs and I rent when I play out of town to check out different brands). The rental cost was right and I hit some good shots (and bad ones, as usual for a boggie golfer).
But the course is Valhala! I'm used to playing two well maintained intown Houston public courses. Now I am spoiled forever! This course is heaven - hills, doglegs, water, pictureque. I have never played a course of such wonderful design in my life.
I just hope in my wildest dreams that I can buy a retirement home there some day, timeshare or just visit again and enjoy the best course I ever played - it's what golf, life and love are all about. Thank you Hal, thank you Olde Oaks, thank you God.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member