“One of my favorites.”

Copeland’s of New Orleans
Ranked #15 of 230 Restaurants in Kenner
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Copeland's of New Orleans restaurants are committed to the concept that every dish and meal is true to the culinary traditions and heritage of New Orleans, augmented by the gracious hospitality of the Copeland Family. Copeland's of New Orleans is more than a restaurant; it is the family's promise to provide you with the finest dining experience each and every visit.
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Living in New Orleans spoils me by offering me a choice of so many excellent restaurants. One of my favorites is Copeland’s for their good food, consistent offering, and reasonable prices.
Copeland’s has several restaurants in New Orleans area and all are managed and run in a similar manner. Almost anything on the menu is well seasoned (not hot), and a well thought-out dish that will please even the most critical client.
Al Copeland was the inventor of the Popeye’s Fried Chicken chain and he personally came up with many of the spice recipes used. He then developed the Copeland’s chain offering seasoned New Orleans style food.
One of his most famous menu items is the Onion Mum or Blooming Onion. A small restaurant at the lakefront in New Orleans developed a device to cut onions into a flower form and Copeland worked to buy the concept. The sale didn’t go through, but the idea spread and Copeland’s offered the Onion Mum with Tiger Sauce. Subsequently, many restaurant chains took the idea and offered their own version of the Blooming Onion.
Copeland’s is a good restaurant, offering excellent food and good value. It is not on a par with Gallitoire’s, Antoines, or Kay Paul’s but is a staple of New Orleans eating and a favorite of locals for lunch or a night out.

1  Thank RNewOrleans

Reviewed 16 July 2012

Great Night at Copeland's. All of the family had different dishes. All were very good. Even had cheesecake and it was very good. Service was a little slow or this would hace gotten a 5 star experience.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

For a few years, we had a Copeland's near our hometown, but it closed several years back. While visiting New Orleans, we got out and about to see a few other things and finding that we were near one, decided to have a late lunch. We were very impressed with the food and the atmosphere (actually even better than I'd remembered), but our server was either new, or just not that good at doing her job. We weren't there at a busy time, but she seemed to have the hardest time getting by to refill drinks or to check in. Beyond her shortcomings, though, it's great food at a good price, and their locations make it quite easy to enjoy a little sampling of New Orleans cuisine without actually being in the city itself.

The Onion-Mum was battered with an extraordinary blend of seasonings, though the sauce was just a little heavier on horseradish than I prefer. The Shrimp and Tasso Pasta, one of my favorites from years past, was excellent, and a very large portion. My wife thoroughly enjoyed the Eggplant Pirogue, and the lunch portion of it was generous (I'd imagine the dinner version would be nearly too much for all but the heartiest of appetites).

On the whole, I've found these restaurants through the years to be consistently good with food quality from one location to another, and definitely worth their (reasonable) price.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

Will keep it short. My chicken was mildly hot but the yam was only warm. They offered to remake the meal but they had already taken too long to service it so I did not want to do that. The manager came out and apologized and gave me the meal free. Way too much compensation. It was good tasting but yams are no good just warm. The chicken was good however I expected perfection from Copeland's

1  Thank Mark L
Reviewed 2 May 2012

When visiting new areas, I love trying regional cuisine. Although this is a local chain (and I have an aversion to mass produced chain food), Copeland's did not have that "commercial" feel/taste. The small apple/almond/lettuce salad was incredibly fresh and made to order. The small plate pecan encrusted catfish, with moist fish and a crisp exterior, was delightful. If you happen to visit between 5 and 7, happy hour drink prices are offered.