“Not bad”

Red Roof Inn New Orleans Airport
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Kenner
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was expecting this property to be much worse given the negative reviews. However, my room was very clean and quiet. I also thought the breakfast options were a little more substantial than the typical Sleep Inn; I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't even notice the omelet service until after I got my plate of food. The only drawbacks during my stay were that the surrounding area and parking lot didn't seem very nice, and that there is only one restaurant (Wendy's) within walking distance. Other than that, my stay was pretty pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
robpatrick, General Manager at Red Roof Inn New Orleans Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Admiss Traveler 11,

We wish to thank you for taking your time to complete the survey regarding your recent stay at the Sleep Inn New Orleans Airport Kenner, La. Our Staff greatly appreciates your positive comments and we will all be happy to improve our service and enhance our product in order to keep satisfied customers by delivering an "Excellent Guest Experience..." We also thank you for your loyalty to our Brand and hope we can be your first choice for all your hospitality needs in the Crescent City! thank you,
Best regards,
Robert Hoey
Sleep Inn New Orleans Airport
Kenner, La. 70062
504-466-9666

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed here on the way to catch a cruise ship. I would not have selected this property, but a family member traveling with me made the reservations before I could check TripAdvisor. The location is decent--next to Wendy's, with other fast-food across the interstate, but the front-desk staff was unfriendly, disorganized, and inattentive (for example, tried to give me another person's smoking room, when I reserved non-smoking). The lobby reeked of onions (I'm guessing from the omelettes made at breakfast on the hot plate next to the elevator in the lobby?) and cigarette smoke (strange, since the sign on the wall behind the front desk states the property is a non-smoking one). Room was very odd--no tub, round shower, mini-fridge blocking the door to the adjoining room, and pocket door with no lock on the bathroom. Hallways were dark, and the carpet was stained. Actually, the carpet in my room was so dirty, it made the bottoms of my socks black. Sheets were clean, but the bed wasn't that comfortable. Strangely enough, the noise of the interstate didn't really bother me. All in all, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My husband and I tried to stay here when our house was having repairs. We did not stay because the clerk seemed more interested in these 2 thugs that were hanging out in the lobby than waiting on us. When my husband went to pay with $100 bill, she told him that they do not accept hundreds because they cannot make change for large bills-HOTEL POLICY! Really! It was almost 11P.M. when we tried to check in, and I've worked in the hotel business for over 15 years. I never encountered an issue with accepting large bills and giving change. I did not feel safe and told my husband "let's get out of here and go stay somewhere else." The clerk proceeded to tell us to walk across the street to a gas station because "the gas station will break hundreds." This area is sketchy, especially at night. I think she was trying to set up a situation for those 2 thugs to rob us. I reported this to Choice Hotels because this in unacceptable. Glad we got out of there fast because someone would likely have died---and it would not have been us....That's for damn sure!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rrieder7
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This hotel is convenient to the airport but its front desk was unable to handle incoming guests. After being given a smoking room, which was inappropriate for my 13-year-old, I called down to ask for a non-smoking one. The desk clerk told me to call Hotwire since that's where I made my reservation. I pointed out that it was not logical for me to call Hotwire to have them call Sleep Inn when I'm asking right there, right now? Then I was told I'd be called right back. More than an hour later, I went down to the desk and saw them give the last non-smoking room to a guest who didn't even have a reservation; he showed up at the hotel a day early by mistake. Not happy and not staying at a Sleep Inn again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Obrigitte
Reviewed 11 March 2014

What an odd little room! I had to turn my suitcase sideways to roll it into the room between the wall and fridge, and even then it scraped the sides. The carpets badly need an update, and the tile on the elevator floor is all broken up. Lots of highway noise outside, but the rattle of the air conditioning mostly drowns it out. It took quite a while to get hot water in the shower in the morning, but once it warmed up it was fine. I guess for a place to crash for one night before an early flight it was fine. I will probably stay somewhere else next time, though. One big plus is the super friendly front desk staff. They were all very helpful and pleasant. I left too early for the breakfast, so I can't speak to that.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Keep in mind, this is not the Four Seasons..it is a Sleep inn but it certainly exceeded my expectations.
As a senior female traveling alone, I was a little concerned about location and excellent rate (too good to be true???) I read the other reviews and this hotel had mostly excellent reviews. I arrived a day early for a cruise and this was a perfect solution for me.
Courtesy shuttle from airport, free wifi, walk to restaurants, hot breakfast in morning and shuttle back to airport in morning to meet friends and taxi to cruise port....or hook up with the cruise shuttles.
My room had coffeemaker, fridge, micro, most comfortable bed ever, great showerhead and water pressure, ironing board, Very impressed, in case you couldn't tell.
I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend.
Suggestion:no courtesy phone in baggage claim, call hotel direct for pickup.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Overall, I was very happy with this hotel stay. I would recommend the hotel to people staying in the New Orleans area, especially if an airport shuttle is important to you. All of the cons I list below are relatively minor issues.

Pros:
- The staff were very nice, including the shuttle drivers (the free airport shuttle was quick and I had no issues with it whatsoever - it comes right to the "Hotel Shuttle" section of the 'Transportation Center' portion of the Airport).
- The continental breakfast was good, and included the option of getting an omelette made for you (rather than just the artificial scrambled eggs you usually get!)
- The room was very clean, as was the hotel in general. There were ample amenities provided.

Cons:
- The airport in New Orleans is rather far away from New Orleans itself, so keep transportation in mind when booking a hotel stay.
- This hotel is right next to the I-10, so if you get a room on the side of the hotel next to the Interstate, it won't be very quiet.
- The carpets could use some updating.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family