“Impromptu pint”

The Woodman
Price range: £4 - £17
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Pub, Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Woodman Inn is a traditional style pub with a modern twist. Shane and Laura run the pub together with Shane as chef patron showcasing some of the best locally sourced Yorkshire produce in his menus and specials. A great range of Yorkshire guest ales changing weekly and a fantastic laid back ambiance make us a must for a visit. Super dog friendly and with a huge kids adventure playground in the garden, we really are a must for a visit. Pop in and give us a try.
Reviewed 15 December 2023

Stopping nearby in our caravan we decided to call up to Bishopthorpe.
The Woodman is a gem of a pub. The landlady is very welcoming and knowledgeable.
We couldn't stay for food but definitely will next time.
The pie looked amazing.
Highly recommend
Also very dog friendly

Reviewed 13 December 2023 via mobile

We booked to bring my Mum for lunch but unfortunately at the last minute she was not feeling well . Husband and I decided as we were in York we would still go for our lunch and so glad we did . We had the farm sharing platter which was amazing value with so much food from 4 thick cut pieces of Ham, sausages in honey scotch egg and an Asian beef that was so good . There were various mixed salads loads of Chunky pieces of bread and a big slice of pate that was too strong a taste for me but my husband enjoyed. I will bring my sister next time to try the fish platter . This is the 3rd time we have shared a meat platter and each time they have been different but all really good value .

Reviewed 12 December 2023

Tasteless pate as a starter. Did say which they took of the bill. How ever out main come total over season. The chips where covered in salt was so over power on the whole off our meals. So I said something to the staff who took and just laughed at me. I asked why she was laughing. She said not at you at the situation. No one else said out and I’m the first to complain. Paid £40 for some break and 2 drink as the rest was t edible. Your customer service is completely shocking.

3  Thank Natalie J
Reviewed 27 November 2023

All four of us enjoyed the food. Posh Fish Pie, Gammon, Beef pie and a sandwich and chips. Nice that we weren't hurried at all. So time to chat with our friends. Including puds and coffees we were there for 3 hours. As they say, they don't do fast food they do good food.

Date of visit: November 2023
Reviewed 19 November 2023

Not the warm welcome we were expecting by the lady with the dark hair , she was abrupt .. bad start … the young man who took orders and brought out the food was nice but didn’t ask if anyone had any allergies which is a standard thing for restaurants nowadays , wait for food after order was taken was 50 mins which was a bit too long in my opinion . I was looking forward to the twice cooked chips but I got some white undercooked chips … the flat iron steak seemed to be cooked well but was tasteless ,we asked for barbecue sauce and salad cream but didn’t have any and they use a pot of sachets for condiments which is a bit cheap for the cost of the meals which in my opinion was overpriced , sorry woodman won’t be returning , very disappointing PS , I didn’t complain on the night because I was in company and too hungry to send it back …

Date of visit: November 2023
1  Thank 774peterd
Laura Brandon, Owner at The Woodman, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2023

Thank you for taking the time to write a second review having already posted one in the name of JacquelineD and then deleting it to replace it with this one altering your initial opening to state I was abrupt with you! You arrived 40 minutes early for your 7.30pm table stating you had been told on booking to arrive earlier than your table was booked for even though you did not make the booking and the couple who did, arrived at 7.30pm No one was abrupt with you at all. It is stated quite clearly on our menu to inform your server of any allergies or intolerances upon ordering which is actually standard practice. You will have seen the pub was full with every table dining so if you felt you had an extended wait for your table of 6's food then apologies, our kitchen cooks fresh to order and does the best they can We do not stock barbecue sauce or salad cream so would have been unable to provide it.