“Dirty.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chapel Brampton
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Dirty.”
Reviewed 29 May 2011

When we arrived, there was a smell of sick outside the accommodation block. When we got in the room it smelt of poo and there was a dirty and blood-soaked rag in the toilet just nicely floating there! Such good first impressions that marred the whole stay which, luckily, was only for one night! It was noisy, uncomfortable and, as mentioned above, smelly.

Another point to mention is that it is not a hall as such. Or it IS a hall, but the accommodation is Travel Lodge style. I had been on Trip Advisor and had been aware of this but the hotel's website is misleading. There was also a wedding party on the night of our stay so maybe that explains some of the smells/'presents' in the loo...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
RayMckibben, General Manager at Sedgebrook Hall, responded to this review, 28 June 2011
Dear Mel

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travellers. It is not the review we would have wanted, but I appreciate it is your experience as you see it at the time. As a team we look at these reviews and take them seriously. Please understand they do make a real difference.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies to you for the experiences you encountered. I am very disappointed and suitably embarrassed by the lack of customer care you experienced during your visit. I can assure you that this is not our usual level of customer service and I can only concede that the issues you experienced were not acceptable and should not have occurred.

I have spoken with my management team to address the issues which you raised and I am confident that by revisiting our standards and procedures we will improve for the future. I have recently employed a new Head Housekeeper to support our team and they have made significant changes in the last three weeks.

Also if you have a moment please feel free to check the website as all our photos have been updated.

Mel, I read your reviews from other properties you have stayed in and I wish you had been able to grade us better. We never want our guest to leave unhappy and you clearly did. Please have a look at our website at our new pictures, we are working on clearer descriptions of the building and bedroom block in order that our clients are fully informed of all the facilities we have to offer.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment with your stay, and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Ray

Sedgebrook Hall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
London
Reviewed 24 May 2011

We stand at the venue last weekend and had a great time very busy with weddings and groups but I have to say it was lovely, nice pub at the end of the drive. lots going for the place. thanks to Keith and the team for looking after us.

hopely see you again

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Paddy

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at Sedgebrook Hall, and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with other travellers. It is always nice to hear when our guests have enjoyed themselves.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Sedgebrook Hall again in the future.

northants
Reviewed 8 May 2011

we held our wedding at Sedgebrook Hall and for that reason I have a lot of good memories but there are also some improvements that could be made.

My husband and I decided to book our wedding here because we had attended a wedding some years ago at Sedgebrook hall and felt that it was the best of both worlds for a wedding, I.e a beautiful setting but with modern facilities and not too expensive for our guests.

we were given a good service in the planning of our wedding, with great communication from the wedding planner Gemma. The hotel is clean and has nice public spaces such as the lounge, dining room, bar and gardens. The rooms have been refurbished on the 1st floor, but as far as I know have yet to be done on the ground floor, therefore a tip for anyone booking is to ask for the 1st floor rooms.

throughout the weeding the staff were brilliant, supporting us throughout our day and providing an excellent service. We had a great nights sleep and a lovely breakfast with all our guests the next day.

There are some areas for improvements in regards to the wedding, We felt that with the huge amount of money we spent we could have had slightly better service in regards to a few areas, for example we were told by the manager to book a tour with our parents to show them the venue after we had already put down a deposit. They said they would provide tea, cakes and sandwiches, we didn't get so much as a cup of coffee on the day. You also get to attend a taster evening where you can sample the menu. I was told to pick a starter, main course and desert to try, when we attended the evening the other couples also attending were given the chance to try 2 of each course (one different starter each couple), we each had the same courses! Now I accept that perhaps I was a little stupid and it should have been obvious to me to ask for a different starter, main and dessert each, however I felt they should have pointed this out to me when I told them our choice.

I also feel the aftercare is not there, once the wedding is over there is no follow up from the hotel at all to check everything went well or if anything had been left behind (all of my tea lights went missing)

overall a great wedding venue but could improve on service in some areas.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank haylesNorthants
Dear Hayley

I am delighted that you enjoyed your Wedding at Sedgebrook Hall, and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with other travellers. It is always nice to hear when our guests have enjoyed themselves.

Thanks for your construstive feedback and I have shared it with my Head`s of department.

northampton
Reviewed 17 April 2011

coffee & tea missing from compliments tray,,but arrived quickly when rung reception for them, breakfast was slightly cold once sat down to eat after getting toast & juice, 2nd time i have stayed at sedgebrook hall & both times enjoyed my stay. would reccommend.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Good Afternoon

Glasgow
Reviewed 5 April 2011

Stayed at Sedgebrook Hall for business reasons and although it's not fantastic it was certainaly ok. I found the main building to be very nice, the lounge area and resturant were to a high standard with some renovation work taking place whilst I stayed.
The staff are very helpful and fairly pleasant.
The rooms are adequate and resemble your typical Premier Inn standard. Pretty small with the focus on practicality more than anythng.

Hotel's main facilities are of a good standard and worth utilising whilst there. I have to agree that the wing where the rooms are located is very drab from the outside and looks very uninviting. Seems more directed towards conference meetings than anything else.

Couple of pointers for the hotel itself -
1) Install a dampener on the room doors to stop them banging in the morning !!
2) Some biscuits with the tea/coffee facility in the room.
3) A bit more variation with your dinner menu.
3) Srt out your Wi-Fi network. Having to log in every 30mins and leave your details. It's 2011 you know...it could be so much better.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank JonBhoy
Reviewed 9 March 2011

A £12 taxi journey from Northampton station, Sedgebrook hall very obviously caters for the lower end of the conference trade but has good facilities, is pretty cheap and gets a tick for serving a hot breakfast included in the price of the room. House approached via a long-ish drive and through the extensive hotel car park. Shame no effort was made to hide the car park from the hotel itself. The entrance and reception is at what would have been the back of the house, built of warm Northampton stone, and is quite pleasant. Sadly the rest of the old house is pretty much now lost to thick carpets, fake oil paintings and reproduction mahogany furniture. A pity, as it must once have been quite a pleasant place. Though the status quo is inoffensive enough, if reminiscent of a cross between a leisure centre hospitality suite and a tacky Edwardian doll's house. Most rooms are in a new build block which seriously lacks imagination from the outside and fares no better internally. Small rooms with small beds which look like they've not enjoyed a refurb since the 80s. But the communal facilities, though generic and old fashioned stylistically are pretty decent with a nice looking pool area, a good games bar with snooker table and table football and a large lounge bar. Overall, certainly no holiday destination, but fit for purpose and a perfectly fine place to rest a weary head.

• Stayed March 2011
Bridport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2011

Arranged my stay at this hotel via booking.com on evening of Friday 11th Feb. Left my card details and headed for hotel with booking confimation in hand. Got to hotel where no-one had any clue I was turning up, despite having the print off in my hand. Was asked to use my card as a "guarantee", in case any drinks/food were purchased blah blah blah........Card details and check in took place, all taking about 25 mins (!!) At no time did anyone say that any monies would be taken from my card on 11/2/11, some £125.00 for 2 night stay, and the £100 guarantee.
Anyway, stayed in room 201, nice enough, old fashioned tv, although all other rooms I saw had a nice little LCD telly, which presumably had freeview, whereas 201 had about 7 channel choices, hardly up to 2011 standards.
Anyway, room adequate, shower not (!!), had to rely on having baths, as pressure was appalling in the dribble of a shower.
Bearing in mind, this was Valentines weekend, so decided to dine with my girlfriend in the restaurant, at £25 per head, I didnt think this was too bad. Food very good for the money, but food was cleared and next course bought over with not a lot of time between, and the place was hardly packed out, as the wedding that was taking place over this weekend, seemed to take up most of the guests. There was probably about 8-10 people in the restaurant, in a room that sat, probably 60-70 people.
So, now for the reason for my title...........................checked out at 12 midday, costing me an extra tenner, as official check-out is 11, my bill came to £194 ish. Inserted my card into ANOTHER card machine on reception, paid and walked out with my receipt. Upon checking my balance via text message, found I was missing the original £225.80!!!!!!
So I have ended up paying TWICE for my stay. Contacted the manager, who, to be fair, was most helpfull, however, this does not detract from the severe inconveinience this has caused me. It will take 4 working days for MY MONEY to come back to MY ACCOUNT, all because nobody at the hotel knew, or ever realised, that the 2 card machines sitting on reception were not LINKED.
TO ALL PROSPECTIVE GUESTS WHO ARE THINKING OF STAYING; MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR STATEMENTS AND YOUR BANK BALANCES...............................
We were thinking of booking this hotel for our future wedding, but unless there is some kind of recompence for this major aggravation, we shall be going elswhere, and it is thanks to me, that this major hiccup with the card machines has been highlighted. Incidentally, they have now been marked 1 and 2 (!!!)
Just my luck..............................................

#16 of 29 in Northampton
Hilton Northampton
Hilton Northampton
#8 of 29 in Northampton

Been to Sedgebrook Hall? Share your experiences!