“Pleasant surroundings and clean throughout” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sedgebrook Hall

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chapel Brampton
Long Sutton, United Kingdom
“Pleasant surroundings and clean throughout”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights on my wife's recommendation (she had previously been for a conference) and I have to say that overall, Sedgebrook Hall didn't disappoint. The evening meals, although slightly limited in choice, were of excellent quality and sensibly priced. The room was a comfortable size, not huge but certainly not cramped. The only criticisms were that the pool and jacuzzi were shut off during our stay (for a boiler problem, we were told, so this can be excused) and that the breakfast selection was slightly limited: no mushrooms, black pudding, or continental cold meats / cheese. The location is excellent: a beautiful part of the Northamptonshire countryside with easy access to the major road network; also, it is very central, within 2 hours of most major English cities, which makes it well situated for business use. All areas of the hotel were clean and tidy. The bar is no more expensive than any comparable venue and the staff were friendly and helpful throughout.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrPinkShirt
RayMckibben, General Manager at Sedgebrook Hall, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
Dear Mr Pink Shirt

Thanks for your very positive feedback and it will mean a lot to the team.

I am so glad you had a good time and thanks again for telling us about your stay.

Kind regards and hopeful see you again.

Sedgebrook Hall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 1 evening in October, I had not chosen it as it was a business trip and had been booked by my company. The frontage looked impressive and the reception was lovely, as were all the staff who served me. Unfortunately for me that was where the good points ended. The inside of the hotel is quite modern which doesn't really go with the initial first impression of a lovely old hall and therefore I felt disappointed from the outset. My room which as all rooms are in an ajoining block was only slightly better than a basic room that you would get in one of these bucket shop priced cheap stop overs. There were some unsightly stains on the bedspread and on the cushions on the bed which should have been removed by the chamber maids as this did not encourage me to want to lie on the bed. the bathroom was depressing, very clinical with none of the ususal touches that you would expect in a hotel. I mentioned the bedspread at reception when I left the hotel. The evening meal was very average in quality and flavour, the main course being a piece of pork loin with apple gravy, chips and some beans and courgettes £15! I was even more outraged when I ordered a large glass of chilean sauvignon blanc and was charged £7.45, I haven't paid that in one of the leading hotels of the world and was shocked at the prices of the drinks. Its even more of an insult when you get to check out and find you are obliged to pay a suppliment for paying with a credit card!! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, it would cost a fortune if you were there for a wedding reception and didn't have any cash and had to settle your account with a credit card. Not a good experience. Sorry, I felt ripped off.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank elsieclarke_11
Dear Mr Tango

Thanks for complimenting the staff, building and grounds.

I am sorry to read that you did not like our rooms; we don’t class the venue as a four star property. We are a good three star standard and we set our price according to fit within our market place. The building as it is now was designed as a conference centre and the rooms are all the same size. We have lots of pictures on our web showing all our bedroom types.

Thanks very much for your very constructive feedback and I hope that we will have the pleasure of seeing you at Sedgebrook Hall again.

Travellers are raving about these Chapel Brampton hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

Unfortunately I was a little disappointed with this hotel. It's part of the Principal-Hayley group, so I expected a high standard. The website makes this hotel look very grand and when you enter the grounds and see the main house you are pleased. However, the manor house only holds the reception, the guest rooms are in another building which more closely resembles university halls of residence.

I stayed here for 2 days with my family. We reserved 5 rooms, 3 on the bottom foor, 2 on the top. If you are staying, request the top floor. These have been renovated, rooms on the bottom floor are dark and in much need of a revamp. Walls are pretty thin, so expect to hear plenty from your neighbours. Irons are also not provided on bottom floor rooms.

On a more positive note, the buffet breakfast was excellent and the service at the front desk helpful and efficient. The hotel is just a short walk away from the charming little village of Chapel Brampton where you can get some comfort food in the Spencer Arms. There wasn't really any major problem with this hotel, it just was less than expected.

Room Tip: Request the top floor facing reception for renovated rooms with good light.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kpnutsni
Dear Kpnutsni

Thank you for your review. We have updated our website with new pictures which I hope reflect the character of the property and show the bedrooms in our guest accommodation area, unfortunately we do not have any rooms within the Old House.

We hope to have refurbished our bedrooms on the ground floor shortly, to bring all our rooms to the good three star standard.

I hope that you will visit us again if you are in the area.

Thanks

Ilkeston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

I was at the hotel for 1 night for a wedding in the local area.
The picture of the hotel is quite beautiful and the reception doesn't disappoint, the staff were polite and helpful. It has great facilities and is very clean. The location is just out of a pretty little village and is quite rural so therefore quiet.
HOWEVER the room was NOT 4 star. It was extremely basic had an ancient television with very few channels and no guide as to which channel was which.
The biggest disappointment was the bathroom, it was tired and dated, the shower was pathetic and it took a long time for any hot water to come through, the grout was not white it was a bit grubby and the extractor fan wasn't too clean. I think I must have been below a staircase or near a cleaning cupboard as there was lots of banging around quarter to 8 in the mornin which was not very good.
There was a positive though and that was the bedding it was crisp and white and the pillows and quilt were full and comfortable. If I had to stay in the area again there are plenty of other hotels I would look at instead.

• Stayed September 2011
Dear Pigeano

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent visit. It is always nice to hear when our guests have enjoyed their stay and I hope that we will have the pleasure of seeing you at Sedgebrook Hall again.

have a nice day

Northampton,
NN6 8BD
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

I was a bit dubious about staying here after i had booked it as i read some bad reviews on here. But we really enjoyed it, myself and my partner wanted a quiet getaway and we found it here. Yes the rooms are not part of the main building but they are about a 30 second walk away. The receptionists were really friendly on check in and check out especially with allowing us to use the pitch and putt facilities after we had checked out and with organising room service for us in the evening and for breakfast. The only thing i would have to say negative was that there were a couple of cob webs in the room (i dont like spiders), but then again you have to remember if you want a countryside hotel then what else would you expect from the countryside!? Would definitely go again, thanks

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

We picked this hotel as it was next to the Northampton & Lamport steam railway and lookes very good from the outside with plenty of car parking space.
The sound proofing was terrible and could hear our neighbours urinateing . The room was okish until my wife found a dirty bath towel covered with grey & white hairs all over it and had to use a hand towel to dry with. At breakfast we found some dirty plates which were stone cold so the food soon became cold and the bacon was dried up and tasteless anyway. If this is the sort of cleanliness we saw, I hate to think what is it like behind the scenes, I would never stay at this hotel again. These are facts & I am not whinging.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MikeB007_11
Dear Mike

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travellers. It is not the review we would have liked but appreciate it is your experience at the time. As a team we do take these reviews very seriously.

Please accept my apologies for service you received which is certainly not the standard I would expect our guests to receive and I have spoken with my management team to address the issues which you raised.

Although you say you would not stay at Sedgebrook Hall again, I hope that will reconsider this as I would like the opportunity of showing you the standards and service that I know we can offer.

I have attached my contact details to this response so please contact me when very you are in the area

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

We highly recommend this Hotel. The staff were excellent, the service excellent, the food and refreshments provided excellent - all of this helped to make our daughter's wedding perfect. Every member of staff was polite and helpful, and when faced with a problem of the drapes in the reception room (provided by an outside company) the staff were very professional, calm, and helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. Particular praise goes to Gemma ( Wedding Co-ordinator), she is possible the best in the business, she is calm, competent and professional in her approach to the organisation of our daughter's wedding. Also Keith (Manager) was professional and efficient during the event. A huge big thank you from us to all the Staff at Sedgebrook Hall for making our day perfect.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sheralynomalley
RayMckibben, General Manager at Sedgebrook Hall, responded to this review, 12 September 2011
Dear Mrs O Malley

Thank you for your kind words and it means a lot to the team that you have
given us your feedback in sought a public place, it means a lot.

The Team worked very had on the day and we made sure the gardens were in tip top condition for your daughter’s special day.

T. 01604 821666
ray.mckibben@principal-hayley.com
www.principal-hayley.com
Principal Hotels "Beyond Expectation..."
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chapel Brampton
Hilton Northampton
Hilton Northampton
#7 of 29 in Northampton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,150 reviews

Been to Sedgebrook Hall? Share your experiences!