“Its the people that make this a great hotel”
Review of Sedgebrook Hall

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chapel Brampton
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Very friendly and helpful staff. The rooms are very comfortable. Whilst staying at the Sedgebrook we got caught in the snow. Had to leave our car at the local pub and walk back to the hotel. We were concerned that we would be stranded for an extra night (not that we wouldn't want to!) but need not have worried as in the morning the manager, Roy, had arranged for a member of staff to take us to the pub and help us get our car back onto the road. What friendly service. Roy also found out the name of the colour of the walls in our room as we told him that we had been looking for this shade of grey for ages.

Well done Sedgebrook Hall - Can't wait to go back again shortly

Room Tip: Have no knowledge of other rooms
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank christina w

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Just arrived back from a one night stay at Sedgebrook Hall...Wow! what a fantastic place..room small but cosy ,bed was so comfy and the view from our window ( room 211) was perfect, watched the rabbits running in the fields and woke to the sound of birds singing :) Pool small but v clean and warm and the jacuzzi was really powerful. Although we didnt eat in the restaurant it looked lovely.Free tea coffee mocha etc in the lounge. We ate at the Brampton Halt which is seconds away and next to lamport railway.Turn right out the drive its about 5 mins walk.Food was excellent there and a good homely feel with a log fire!! All in all a really lovely weekend don't be put off by the bad reviews because it is a really special place. Oh and the staff were all lovely, porter brought us extra tea and milk to our room within seconds of us asking :) We will be returning v soon. Clare Potts

Room Tip: top floor rooms have good views
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cp0tt
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I stayed here for a week on a course.

The good bits:
The staff are really helpful and friendly
The facilities are good
The food is reasonable
The bed is comfortable
There is a range of complimentary teas and coffees available in the bar area

The bad bits:
The rooms are not well cleaned
The carpet was dirty
There was a dirty stained bedspread on top of my bed and duvet
The bath was really dirty, I cleaned it before using it and there was thick grime around the plug holder and handle
Expensive drinks

I would stay here again as it was very reasonably priced however it is certainly not luxury and the cleaning standards really do need to improve.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2011

I have stayed here several times before but as I stay away from home several times a month usually only leave a review when an establishment is good or when it's poor. Sedgebrook Hall has always been average. Nothing remarkable to report - very similar to hundreds of hotels around the country. You go back because the price is OK and the location fits into the itinerary.
On this occasion though I wasn't happy. I like to have a welcome on arrival after a long rainy drive but was met with three members of staff discussing how to sort out financing something out of petty cash. I was ignored until this was resolved. Once checked in I was expecting directions to the room and believe me you need directions at this hotel as from reception you have to go through the bar/lounge and down several short flights of stairs etc.
My room was 151 which was the furthest from reception and just a few yards from where I had parked the car which will give some idea of how far the car park is from reception. Not that this is a complaint - just be prepared and take a good umbrella if the weather looks dangerous.
Once in the room my heart sank. I had booked online and specifically chosen a double - the room had two twin beds. At home I have a superking and like to spread out. I find that the duvets on hotel singles are not wide enough and slip off during the night. This one was no exception. This was not the sole reason for disappointment though. There were double doors to the adjoining room which I never like. I considered asking for a room change but having driven nearly 400 miles I decided to suck it up, get unpacked and reply to a few emails. The thought of the hike back to reception also put me off.
The website and room card trumpeted the availability of complimentary wifi. Great. That will save messing about connecting the mobile internet dongle I thought. Wrong. The complimentary wifi is for 30 minutes.
The guest then arrrived in room 149 - by the way you didn't take a shower in the morning - you know who you are! I then found that not only could I see light through the connecting doors I could also see through at the bottom and hear everything. The sound of spray deodorant then translated into the smell of deodorant. I can't advertise but barricaded the door in anticpation of hordes of scantily clad young women descending on the two rooms. Another disappointment as nothing untoward occurred!
What else. Petty stuff but it's the small things which are important. The clock showed 4am on arrival. I had to search for the hand towel (found in the wardrobe) and at breakfast there was cardboard bacon and hard eggs. If you stay at places which offer a buffet breakfast you'll know what I mean.
On check out I was asked to settle the B&B bill. It's a good job I booked the stay myself and knew that it was pre-paid. I was also careful not to spend anything else during the stay as there is a £2.50 surcharge for settling by credit card.
The one high point is the staff, who with the above exceptions were friendly and interested. With so much competition out there, management need to raise their game.

Room Tip: All the rooms are similar. Ask for one close to Reception and make sure you know the codes of the se...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank David O
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Good Morning....whilst the staff were all very friendly i actually felt very sorry for them because they were clearly following the processes laid down by the Management...They had various items to cover and were almost frightened that they hadnt managed to get into the conversation all that they were supposed to...The amount of information that they have to get accross just becomes white noise to the customer... Receiving instructions on nearly every part of the hotel in a couple of minutes is almost impossible to take in....However i cant emphasise enough how friendly the Team at the hotel were...It wasnt busy on the evening/night of my stay but there were plenty of smiles and eye contact from everyone i came into contact with...From someone who is a Group Loyalty Manager for an East Midlands based company i understand how easy it is to introduce so many processes that work on paper and seem logical...However what happens and has happened to my Group is the people and personallity bit slips...not robotic but just processed...Why dont you introduce a "catch the Team Members doing something right" policy as there was a feeling that i picked up that they were affraid to do anything wrong or miss something out....

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Hi Hannah,

Just a quick note as I always seem to forget to fill in the feedback form at the end of each day!

Just to say that, as has been the case all of this year, the service we get on our courses from yourself personally, the two lads who service the room, the girls in the restaurant and in the office and the maintenance crew has always been absolutely first class.  I spend 4 or 5 days a week delivering training all over the country, sometimes at Hilton or De Vere hotels that are graded 4 or 5 Star and none of them provide anything like the high levels of service and support that your people do at Sedgebrook Hall.

There is a huge difference at Sedgebrook as there is always a feeling that everybody seems to genuinely care that people are looked after well.  You'd be amazed that this is really quite rare in training venues.  I have passed on some verbal comments to your general manager recently but felt I should put it in writing too.

In short, somebody, somewhere at Sedgebrook (well probably a few of you actually) is doing something very well indeed!

Thanks again, and I hope TP will continue their training programme throughout 2012 and beyond at Sedgebrook.

Please pass this email on to your General Manager and whoever deals with such things within the Principal-Hayley group.

• Stayed: December 2011
RayMckibben, General Manager at Sedgebrook Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Dear Darren

Thank you so much for your kind words, the team were over the moon when I read out your email last week

We are delighted that you appreciate the team and the service we provide when you visit us. We will do our upmost to keep up the standards set here at Sedgebrook Hall and I hope you will continue to be our ambassador.

From all the team at Sedgebrook Hall

Ray

Ray McKibben

Reviewed 5 December 2011

We stayed on Saturday 3rd December. The hotel itself was very good. Breakfast was also good. I was surprised that there was not a menu in the room ( 208) for such a prestigious hotel.
A major concern was that we asked for a wake up call at 0745 and did not get it.
When we raised this at checkout we got a cursory " I'm sorry about that" .
I felt the Receptionist said it because she had to - there was no real sincerity in her apology.

We did after all pay just under £100 for this

Room Tip: check on calls
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Geoff

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, happy to hear that you liked the property and thank you for the positive ratings.

Firstly I would like to apologise for my colleague on reception who did not apologise when you did not receive a wakeup call. It was not good enough and

I have spoken constructively to the member of the team. She was very embarrassed that you felt that she was not taking your complaint seriously.

I know we have some great genuine staff here at Sedgebrook Hall and we take all our guest feedback, good and bad, on board and try to learn from it in a positive manner.

To answer your point about not having any menus in the rooms, we are primarily a conference venue. As such we are not graded as a hotel and therefore do not always conform to typical hotel standards. As most of our conference guests are on a dinner, bed and breakfast package they use the bar and restaurant so we have little call for room service. We therefore do not advertise this as a set standard, however a guest would never be refused if they wished to eat in their room.

We will gladly send a menu to the room if required, as we are very conscious that lone female travellers may want to eat in their rooms.

We do try to encourage guests to dine with us in our newly refurbished restaurant and bar as it provides a great atmosphere for all guests.

Ray

#7 of 27 in Northampton
Northampton Marriott Hotel
Northampton Marriott Hotel
#9 of 27 in Northampton

Been to Sedgebrook Hall? Share your experiences!