“Good quality conference hotel”
Review of Sedgebrook Hall

Sedgebrook Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chapel Brampton
Chippenham
“Good quality conference hotel”
Reviewed 28 May 2010

I stayed two nights with work on a course.
The hotel is based around a lovel old house although all the accommodation and main conference rooms are in fairly bland new builds.

The conference rooms were ok, a little on the tired side although the chairs were comfortable which is always a bonus. Plenty of coffee and tea available 24/7 in the lounge as well as homemade cookies, sweeties, fruit or crisps depending on the time of day. Nice touch. Newspapers and free high speed internet too.

The rooms themselves are newly renovated, clean and modern. Flat screen tv, comfy beds and reasonable size bathrooms. Being a conference hotel you also have a desk and ironing board and trouser press in the room. No air con though which made the room a bit stuffy. I was lucky to have a 1st floor room and could open my window without worrying about security unlike my colleagues on the ground floor. I did find that I was kept awake by other people coming and going and slamming doors at all hours. The walls seemed a little thin.

The food in the restaurant was ok. A good selection on offer but dinner was a little bland. Portions were small and although edible, hardly imaginative or well flavoured. Lunch was better with a good selection available of hot and cold, salad and soup. The cheese and biscuit selection was noticeable poor through out our stay with a few biscuits and couple of bits of dried up cheese on offer. Just a few words of warning about the restaurant, service is slow. There are large tables of delegates and the staff are not quick at taking or bringing orders. Also the wine is expensive, starting at £20 per bottle it was more than my company drinks policy could stretch to!

Staff were nice and friendly, no complaints there. The bar and games room (pool, snooker, table football) were popular. The overall location is fairly remote but the plus side is nice views and plenty of peace and quiet! Northampton is about 15 minutes drive if that isn't your thing.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank SnowWhite78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
North Somerset
Reviewed 15 February 2010

As hotels go, it isn't too bad. The rooms are clean, the hotel looks nice.
The problems are the staff. Terrible food, awful service in the bar. So why do I keep going back? clean rooms and a great pub at the end of the drive. The Brampton halt serves really good meals. If only the hotel was as good.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank monk3yb0y
Bucks
Reviewed 4 October 2009

Despite the nice pictures of the hall, this is unlikely to be where you are staying unless you are with a wedding party. Instead, most of the rooms are in modern, characterless outbuildings separate from the main house.

The rooms themselves are totally generic 'hotel rooms by numbers' and whilst comfortable enough, are not in keeping with pleasant surroundings or representative of the pictures posted on booking sites.

Our room was on the ground floor adjacent to the car park and the walls were paper thin, meaning we were woken several times during the night by people walking past outside and in the corridor, cars coming and going and various bodily functions in adjacent rooms.

On arrival, there was only one bath towel, one hand towel and one plastic cup in our double room. We phoned reception who promised to deliver some further towels. These never arrived so my partner and I had to use the same bath towel that evening and the following morning. We were only there for one night so it was not worth pursuing the issue.

The bed was a small double and not especially comfortable, although the shower was hot and very powerful.

We were attending a wedding reception in nearby Creaton and opted to stay at Sedgebrook Hall rather than Highgate House in Creaton, as this worked out at a saving of £35, thinking a taxi for the 5 mile journey would be £7-8 maximum. However, we were told on arrival that because taxis had to come from Northampton, there would be an additional £5 village-to-village charge each way. Upon calling the taxi company recommended by the hotel, we were told that they actually charge a set fare of £15 for this short journey! I doubt that a taxi from Northampton town centre, where several cheaper hotels are available, would have cost much more than £15.

Fortunately, we were offered a lift back to our hotel, otherwise any saving made would have been wiped out in taxi fares. The Highgate Hotel price also included breakfast, whereas Sedgebrook charge an additional £10 per person for breakfast.

This is intended more as a warning for anyone considering doing the same than a criticism of the hotel.

Overall, not an unpleasant experience but nowhere near the standard we had been expecting. No better than staying in your average chain hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BrighteyesUK09

Travellers are raving about these Chapel Brampton hotels

Devon
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Having just spent 3 days at Cranage Hall and then 2 days with relations we decided on a further 3 day break at Sedgebrook. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very pleasant and helpful receptionist who carried out the booking-in procedure quickly.

Our room was decorated and furnished the same as Cranage with all the advertised facilites, however we had very little natural light due to the wall of a building directly opposite. The bathroom was much smaller with very little shelf space. The shower was a joke - a dribble of water and it was hit or miss whether it was hot or not. However we did have lovely thick soft towels which were changed each day.

Our safe didn't lock and as it was the bank holiday weekend with no maintenance personel on duty, we were offered a different room. By this time we had already unpacked so declined the offer and our valueables were put into the office safe.

There were only 3 coat hangers in the wardrobe but after speaking to housekeeping this was quickly rectified as was the shortage of milk.

On the day of arrival a wedding reception was in full swing but we had no complaints about anyones behaviour. At breakfast on our first morning (31st) it was obvious that the dining staff were temporary as it was not very well organised. We were allowed to sit at a table where the previous occupants had upset a coffee pot over the cloth. Waiting staff were seen to be standing around chatting at this busy time, instead of clearing and re-organising tables. We had no complaints about the breakfast - the choice of buffet was excellent, with plenty of choice. We did not have our evening meal at the hotel, instead we decided to dine at The Spencer Arms at the end of the road each evening. There was an excellent menu at reasonable prices and staff were very friendly.

The hotel advertised the fact that they use mattress toppers on their beds to give extra comfort (no complaints about the beds, they were comfortable and very clean) but we did not expect to find a mattress topper used in conjunction with a sheet instead of a duvet! (At Cranage a duvet was used).

Sedgebrook did not have that professional air that was obvious at Cranage. However it is a good place to use as a base to visit the interesting places on offer in this part of the country and let's hope all the little niggles are quickly sorted.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 2 September 2009

I was attending a wedding at Holdenby Hall, I stayed at Sedgebrook for 3 nights.
I found the room very cleam & comfortable, the breakfast was lovely (lots of choice from a full english to fresh fruit and cereals) The only negative thing I would say is that the bedrooms are quite dark, there's not much natural light (I found it a struggle trying to apply my make-up - the dressing table mirror is at the side of the window behind the curtains) The House Manager (Sam) was extremly helpful and tried to help me by moving the mirror so that I had a bit more light. I also found Dawn the receptionist extremly helpful too. I would deffinitly stay at the Sedgebrook again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 1 September 2009

Opened room door to find a dozen or so mosquitos hanging around in the corners so first game was 'squat the mozzie'. Beds are very small and badly sprung and the duvets don't cover them. Then the fun begins - there was a wedding going on and the walls/doors are very thin such that you can hear all the revellers returning, slamming doors, shouting and even trying their key in each and every door in an attempt to remember which is their room. Then in the morning, hot water has run out for showers by about 9am. Then there were no seats at breakfast. All in all very poor indeed and whilst during the week, for conferences, this might be an OK place to stay, at the weekend with noisy functions going on, unless you are part of the function party then you have no chance of a relaxing time. Oh, and the sauna wasn't working. The only good thing is the nearby 'Brampton Halt' pub which does pretty good food and a decent beer.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Lancashire
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Well I looked long and hard to find a hotel that looked like a little get-away in the country for my wife and I whilst not being too far away from Silverstone.
This hotel seemed to fit the bill, as the picture of a 300yr old hotel filled the first web page I thought "class"
In reality when you arrive, you see a modern building resembling a sort of dormitory look alongside the stunning hall.
It was obvious that upon arrival there was a wedding taking place, the stressed out looking staff greeted us with a weary smile and booked us in, and it's at that point you realise that you are going to be sleeping in the modern part of the hotel, very disappointing.
Drinks are very expensive at this hotel, we had 3x Stella’s and Half of a cider, £15 but if you go just down the road there are lots of cheaper alternatives.
And after a really good meal and some more drinks at the local restaurant we went back to settle down for the night, if that was only possible.
The basic rooms have a small double bed, obviously to make the room seem a little bigger, the bedding was of a poor standard, and all in all it feels uncomfortable.
There is no fridge, no iron, and the trouser press didn't work, (I was hoping to do my shirt on it), the bathrooms are a little worn looking as well, not what you would expect from a 4* hotel.
1.30AM this is when the nightmare starts, Guests from the wedding are returning to there rooms, screaming, shouting, swearing, all at the top of their voices, constant opening and slamming of doors, more running up and down the the corridor, and as you are now fully awake you can hear the constant sound of urinating in the toilets surrounding your room, nice!!
Yes I got up and complained to the reception staff, but by that time it had started to go quiet, and we were left wide awake till about 3.00AM.
I couldn't stand another night so we had a reasonable breakfast and booked out a day early, on the assurance of the reception that we wouldn't get charged.
No such luck, to add insult to injury I checked my credit card statement to find I have been charged an early departure fee of £59.00.
I have been assured I will be refunded, however I will wait and see.
So if your thinking of staying here, check there are no weddings, try to get a room in the hall, more expense but I’m sure it's worth it. will we stay again.,Not a chance.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Northampton Marriott Hotel
#6 of 29 in Northampton
Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa
Park Inn by Radisson Northampton

Been to Sedgebrook Hall? Share your experiences!