“Folly Bar”

Overstone Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Overstone
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Lovely new downstairs bar with great views over the golf course. Perfect spike bar for golfers finishing a hot round. Problem is... it's never open! Anyone providing a public service like this would look on in shame along with all its visitors. (Problems usually stem from the top). As a member of over 15 years here and constantly asking why this great facility is rarely open, I am told Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun are definitely 'Open Days'.
So we went over tonight for a quick drink to watch the sun go down. Guess what? ...... CLOSED.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark P

Reviewed 2 July 2014

had booked as a one night stay over and thought it was a hotel from the website - it isn;t, although signed posted as "hotel" when you drive up the driveway you actually stay in a smaller version of a holiday camp room. The door opens straight onto the bed, the mattress we had on the bed was very thin and you could feel springs through the quilt. The bathroom has a very small shower/toilet in it. I pointed the above out to reception who immediately brought out a list of alternative hotels in the area and they rang and booked me into a hotel with a swimming pool etc in the centre of town. I can;t comment on the golf and other amenities as we didn't stay there long enough to use them - we did get a refund from them which was fair enough.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mollybunny
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We literally used the hotel as a B&B as we were at a function nearby but the room we was allocated really wasnt a room at all, more like a caravan or portakabin. The bathroom definately was caravan style and the walls/door was so thin you could hear everything that was going on in the bathroom! Also there wasnt any hot water for a shower. Fine if you just need a bed for the night but I wouldnt recommend the standard rooms at all if you are planning a nice night away. I can imagine in the winter they would be very cold & damp. The main building with bar and where breakfast was served was nice and the views of the golf course lovely. Breakfast was average, nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: Avoid standard rooms
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle E
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is a lovely venue fantastic views etc, However the over priced food really does let this place down. I am happy to pay more if I think its worth it. The Sunday Cavery I can recommend. However, I have eaten here several times mainly for convenience and I often come away disappointed. The fish and chips is swimming in oil, you can smell the fat as soon as this is delivered to your table, I could barely find any fish and I left the batter as it was too greasy. The childrens food is very basic which Is what I would expect however the price does not reflect this. I have had several other meals and always think that was a hell of a lot of money for what we have just eaten. Its a real shame if the price did reflect the quality of the food, I would not hesitate to eat there more often. We have now made a decision not to bother in future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sara b
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The rooms were a bit cold and you could hear the people upstairs. the food nothing to write about but not bad and tasty, but the good service and helpful and polite staff, really made up. We went for a walk about, the landscape is very interesting and relaxing. The pool was warm and they have special hours for kids bye adults. Our son enjoyed a golf tuition with an excellent coach..

Room Tip: Choose the top floor rooms to avoid the noise
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. On the first morning of our stay we felt like we were in the way at breakfast despite being the only paying guests because they had a golf tournament on. On the second night we ordered 4 meals, the first came out in 20 minutes but then we waited and waited for the next 3 for over an hour ( 2 of which were for children). When I complained to the staff I was accused of squaring up to the member of staff when it was him that got into my personal space. I was then threatened to be kicked out of the hotel. It was only when I threatened back that I wouldn't leave without a full refund that their attitude and mannerism toward me changed and my issue was resolved. I was informed that our meals had been sent to the wrong table. Had they explained at the time of the mix up this wouldn't have escalated into the row that ensued. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. The rest of out stay was awful and we were made to feel very uncomfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Raymond H
Mark P, Manager at Overstone Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Raymond H
A thorough investigation was undertaken in response to your comments during your stay at Overstone Park Golf & Leisure Resort. It is recorded that you booked a further nights accommodation in our Ash suite midway through your stay suggesting you were more than satisfied with both the facilities and accommodation. You received further goodwill with another preferential room rate. Duty staff were also pleased to assist when you requested them to telephone for a taxi on your behalf during your stay.
It is a rule in any public establishment that customers are not allowed to use the leisure/swimming facilities wearing only personal underwear. We note that you were politely advised about this when you requested you use the facilities without the appropriate swimwear during your stay.
On the Saturday night of your stay, other guests were advised by duty staff of an approximate 30 minute wait on food orders as we were exceptionally busy in the bar and restaurant so not to spoil their enjoyable stay at Overstone Park. It is unfortunate that even after a sincere apology you felt uncomfortable over a minimal issue that was easily rectified, you became belligerent, threatening and rude to the discomfort not only of the duty staff, but also other guests commented on your loud unacceptable behaviour. After due consideration of the investigation, the Group Managing Director considers that your actions were deliberate and planned in order to gain a refund of £23.55 for your food. We note that you will not be staying with us again.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Myself and my partner recently stayed in the Oak Suite for a birthday surprise, we were blown away with the views and the look of the hotel, it is a really stunning location.
However.. we felt so let down with the room, there needs to be some serious sound proofing done, it really is not ideal hearing every single movement and being woken up early hours when the guests downstairs get back to their room after a night out!
The room was lacking a lot for a suite and to be honest I felt totally ripped off for the large amount that I paid for it!
Also, when I initially made the booking the receptionist informed me there was a wedding on the first evening we were there, which meant we couldn't eat in the restaurant, which was ok.. however she informed me that we could use the restaurant the second night, this unfortunately wasn't the case, there was another function on which we weren't told about so we couldn't eat in the restaurant for a second night running, which was a total let down.
We didn't feel like we were looked after particularly well which is a real shame, We wont be staying here again. And please do not stay here if you need a peaceful stay!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Overstone
Park Inn by Radisson Northampton
#8 of 27 in Northampton
Ibis Hotel Northampton Centre
Ibis Hotel Northampton Centre
#18 of 27 in Northampton

Been to Overstone Park Hotel? Share your experiences!