“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Lafayette
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We honestly did not know what to expect since our family had never visited the Lafayette area before. I can honestly say we were taken by surprise by the cleanliness and quality of the room and facilities. Everything was neat and well kept. The hospitality and friendliness of the employees was second to none. The breakfast served was also a plus. We will be visiting the area again soon and have plans to book this hotel again.

Room Tip: There are 4 in our family, so the 2 queen beds worked out excellent for us.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SMichael4
afgros59, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
Happy New Year SMichael4! Thank you for taking time out to share your comments regarding your stay! We hope that you felt like family during your stay and we look forward to your future visits to Lafayette!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Opelousas
Reviewed 16 December 2012

The staff at the hotel are very nice. They help you out any way that they can and always keep a smile on their faces and greet people. The rooms are nice as well. I love their amenities. They offer complimentary dvd players and movies to rent during your stay. They also have recreation time on Wednesday evenings from 5-7 that offer complimentary drinks and appetizers. Overall, me and my husband enjoyed our stay here. They're awesome!!

Room Tip: Request rooms with a great window view.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trena A
afgros59, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 23 December 2012
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I have shared your feedback with my staff. We appreciate your comments and look forward to providing excellent customer service for you every time you stay with us! Happy Holidays - see you next year!
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 October 2012

So I really only have one complaint in this review so I will go over the good things first.

Upon arrival at Lafayette airport I called for shuttle service. Unfortunately they couldnt arrange short term service which I was fine with. The hotel offered to call a cab and I accepted. No big deal. If you need to use the shuttle simply make a reservation at the front desk which I did for my return to Lafayette airport a week later.

As anyone who reads my reviews would know one of the first things I check for upon entering a suite is connectivity. Ive said it through most of my past reviews. In this world of smartphones, tablets, laptops, e-readers and so on it is very important to someone like myself who travels 3/4 of the year for business purposes. This was my first stay at a CS and I was very pleased to see the amount of available outlets and the recharge device at the desk with 2 usb ports and 3 ac outlets. Now I dont use my desk often as I use my phone as my alarm clock so I proceeded to the nightstand and thankfully noticed the lamp with the extra ac outlets. Why cant all hotels use these?

So right off the start I was pretty happy. I stayed here for a week and continued to be pleased with the courtesy and willingness to help by the staff. They called my room several minutes after I checked in to see if the room was ok. Which it was flawless.

After a long day of flying from Pennsylvania to Louisiana with several flight changes all I wanted to do was hop in the shower and lay down. Again, the bathroom was well laid out. Shower pressure and water temps were good.

As far as the bedding goes this was the only issue for me. The bed itself was ok, for a new hotel it seemed awful soft to me but I sleep on an xtra firm mattress at home so they all do. But my biggest and only true gripe about this hotel was the pillows. These were some of the worst I have ever slept on, i mean really these were pretty bad. The offer no support at all and I woke up most every day with a head/neck ache until I changed my sleeping position to accomodate for the lack of a good pillow. Also one thing that peeves me and if the management reads this I urge you to inform your staff of this. I know you have policies for redressing a suite. But if I take the comforter off the bed, fold it up and place it in the closet please do not put this back on the bed. I put it away for a reason and that is I understand how often these are cleaned which can range from weeks to 2 months depending on the hotel chain. It would be different if I had it laying on the floor or something but put away in the closet should trigger the notion I dont want it on the bed.

As far as hosuekeeping goes, they did a very nice job. My room was fresh and clean every day. I saw someone else complain about the air freshener. I was pleased by it and it was nice to walk into a suite that actually smelled fresh.

Breakfast was essentially the same as all other choice hotels. Waffle iron, eggs, a meat product, biscuits and gravy as well as an assortment of cereal, breads, yogurt, etc. I do have to say though the turkey sausage is just nasty. Stick with the patties. :)

All in all I really have no gripes other than the pillows. I was very pleased overall with the room and would stay here again without cause for concern.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank davebressi
afgros59, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 1 November 2012
Thank you for your honest review. Based on your comments about the pillows, I will purchase a few firmer pillows to keep in housekeeping for guests who prefer a more substantial pillow such as yourself. I appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon.
Lebo
Reviewed 24 October 2012

As a tour director, I was at this facility with our group on October 6 & 7. We were warmly greeted, luggage was quickly delivered to our rooms, and the rooms were very nice! Every one of the tour group members was very complimentary of their rooms...no complaints at all.

Only small issue was Sunday morning breakfast. It did not seem like they were quite ready and it took them a while to get ready. Monday morning's experience was much better!

Really a delightful say! Thanks to everyone at the facility for an enjoyable stay!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank CHazen
We enjoyed hosting you and your group. I apologize that we were a little behind the 8 ball for breakfast your first morning with us and am happy we made the adjustment on your second day! We strive to provide exceptional service every day and look forward to your future stays with us!
HOUSTON,TEXAS
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Pros: very clean, almost no damage to carpet, furniture, curtains, etc.
very quiet, reasonable price
Cons:Second bed is VERY close to the a.c. vent.

This is a relatively new facility but still appears to be pristine. Good location away from traffic.
A great deal for the $.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katmelina
Thank you for your feedback regarding the location of the AC unit to the bed. We are working on finding a solution to that dilema and I appreciate you bringing that to our attention. We hope to see you again when you are visiting the Lafayette!
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We only had one night at this hotel unfortunately. They welcomed us with nibbles and wine/beer and soft drinks which was a lovely gesture. The staff and manager were very helpful and hospitable. The room was great - the most spacious we had on tour. The hotel is only 12 months old and everything looks like new. The beds were a little high but ever so comfortable.The breakfast was also good. Unfortunately being on a coach tour we were unable to use the pool as our time was limited. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
afgros59, Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Thank you for your review! We really enjoyed hosting you and your group. We love to greet our groups with an individualized welcome reception and enjoy meeting people from all over the world! Maybe your next trip will be a little longer and you will have that opportunity to enjoy our pool area. Hope to see you again and happy travels to you!
Cleburne, Texas
Reviewed 30 September 2012

This hotel is an example of how, despite doing many things well, failing to deliver on just one critical item can ruin a guest's experience.

I booked this hotel based upon the many positive reviews posted here. My stay was short, only six hours. I stayed here to take a rest break on a trip: from midnight to 6AM. Here begins my tale of woe...

Upon entering the room, I found that it had a strong odor of some chemical air freshener. As I was tired, and only planned to be there for a few hours, I decided to live with the annoying odor. Sadly, about 1:30 AM I awoke feeling nauseous from the smell. I called the front desk and asked for another room, which they provided. It had a similar odor, but not as strong, so I changed rooms (at about 1:45AM). Rest was apparently not for me this night, as I awoke again from the odor at about 3AM. I again called the front desk, hoping to find some relief, but none was forthcoming.

I made it through a fitful night, getting very little sleep. At checkout, I spoke with a different person, calling their attention to the difficulties I had experienced with the chemicals they spray into their rooms. She commented, " You must have been allergic.." and said, unconvincingly, "I'm sorry." No further concern was evidenced.

My experience was particularly disappointing, as this chain makes a big deal of providing 'non-smoking' rooms, going so far as to post signs boasting about the indoor air quality of their rooms. Here's a news flash: good indoor air quality means NO odors, not only should it be free of cigarette smoke, but also free of other chemical odors!

To be fair, the hotel was fine in all other respects. The rooms were clean and well-appointed, the property was well-kept, parking was readily available, the beds were comfortable (I got to try two, remember?), the pillows were nice, etc. However, the one thing they got wrong ruined my stay BECAUSE I DID NOT GET A GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
afgros59, Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Dear ddthomas,
I am so sorry that your experienence during your recent stay did not live up to your expectations.
We use a national chemical company for all of our cleaning products and I know that some people are a more sensative to those odors than others. I have shared your experience with my housekeeping staff and have asked them to limit their use of our air freshner in the rooms because of the sensitivity to some of our guests such as yourself. I am sorry that my front desk associate was not more helpful in solving your issue. I would love the opportunity to serve you in the future if you give us the opportunity. We appreciate your business and want to see you back again.If you would like to discuss your stay with me, please feel free to call on me at any time at 337-456-8390.