“Only Hotel I've Walked Away From - Ever.”

Hampton Inn & Suites Lafayette
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Lafayette
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Absolutely shocking.

Long post involving a toenail clipping, urine, and blood stains; please read and consider before booking.

I normally love Hampton Inn. I'm a Hilton Honors member, and have stayed with the chain for years, over many different hotels in many different cities. I've come to expect a level of comfort and cleanliness that Hampton Inn prides itself on, and heavily advertises, such as the "OMG - TBISC" (Oh My Gosh - This Bed Is So Clean) giant ads in the elevators.

2 week road trip with the family. Stayed at the Hampton Inn in Fort Stockton, no problem. 6 nights at the Austin / Oak Hills Hampton Inn. Beautiful. So we packed up the kids, and drove to this property, arriving a little after 9pm on Monday, April 8, 2013. Sonia was working the desk. Asked her for a room on the 4th (top) floor. She worked the computer and after a bit of time, I was rewarded with room 424. Lobby area seemed clean. I had been awake since 5:21 am, and was ready to jump into my clean bed and get some well deserved sleep. The wife and kids (ages 12, 10, and 5) went to the room while I began to unpack the family truckster.

I proceeded to my room on the 4th floor. I noticed the property seemed to be showing some age, and seemed a bit shabby and tired looking. As soon as I got to the room, one look at my wife's face and I knew there was trouble. Crystallized urine on the toilet seat hinge. One duvet was ink stained, the other had some mystery substance smeared on it. Room seemed in need of an update - badly. So, my wife goes to put her purse down between the bed and nightstand. There, on the carpet in the open, was a huge toenail clipping... gross! My wife wanted another room.

I went down and asked for another room and told Sonia what we had found. She was apologetic, and soon gave me the "keys" to room 325. I told my wife to go take a look before I started moving everything. She came back and said room 325 was even worse, with cracked and moldy caulking in the bathroom, torn shower curtain, and dirty carpet. So it was decision time: do we stay, or go? My wife ultimately decided to stay. Another employee (young female African-American, never got her name) had come up to room 424 with an antiquated vacuum and some cleaning supplies to clean the room. I was told they had no one in housekeeping. The vacuum cleaner didn't work, so she got an older looking one and fired it up. A distinct cloud of dust poofed out of the collection bag, suspending particles of other people's detritus in the air for us to inhale or settle upon the room's surfaces.

My wife looked resigned. She asked about the smeared substance on the duvet. She was told it was super glue. Evidently, the cover had been cut / abraded and suoer glue was used to prevent more fraying. My wife pulled the duvet back, and immediately said in a loud voice "We're not staying!" and walked out of the room. I went over to take a look. Blood stains on the lower mattress cover and bed skirt.

For the first time in over 25 years of travelling, I walked out of a confirmed reservation, to take my chances somewhere else. With 3 grumpy, tired kids, and a grossed out wife.

How is this possible at a Hampton Inn...? What happened to standards of cleanliness? Can't blame a property's age... I've stayed at a few properties over 100 years old that were clean and elegant, and inviting. If the room looks like this, I can imagine what breakfast and the prep area must be like. Someone should be fired, and someone who actually cares needs to step in and make changes. Hilton should sell this property - fast. I've seen better and cleaner rooms at a cheap motel. Don't ask how I know.

I kinda laughed on the way out, as the elevator door closed and I was confronted with the giant advertisement about the clean beds.

Note to any film students in the Lafayette area: If your movie needs a seedy, depressing, dingy hotel scene, get your cameras to the 4th floor of this Hampton Inn, and rent room 424. Roll sound, roll film.... ACTION !

Ended up around the corner at the Homewood Suites - excellent, clean, non-blood-stained room, without toenail clippings or urine stains.

Room Tip: Shockingly dirty room with blood stained bed skirt and free, large toenail clipping on carpet... R...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank beeks919
Hope L, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Lafayette, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

We apologize for the quality of services you experienced while you attempted to stay with us. We appreciate the details and will address each area with the correct department. We will be moving into our guest rooms next to update them as well. Thank you for the compliment about Sonia- our sincere goal is to serve you in the most professional manner yet still delivering Hamptonality. Feedback like yours will help us to improve our guest experience.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Spent a night here in Lafayette. Staff was friendly and very accommodating. Property is not new, but has been maintained. Breakfast was busy, but staff kept everything very well stocked. Some of the bench seating in the dining area is a little low. Room was typical Hampton Inn, and the bed was very comfortable. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Hope L, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Lafayette, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Thank You So much for your review, we appreciate the kind words. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 18 March 2013

Stayed here 3 nights with friends while traveling the South. Friendly staff, Hope, the General Manager was amazing. Friendly staff all around. The late afternoon " happy hour" was so appreciated, we enjoyed a beverage and snacks at the end of our busy days and felt like we were at home . Our rooms were perfectly comfortable, really could not ask for more. We used this hotel as a base for exploring the area, swamp tour, Avery Island, and Vermillionville. Staff was helpful with suggestions too. Highly recommend this Hampton Inn. We walked to John E's one evening for a good dinner.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Hope L, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Lafayette, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Thank you all so very much for your kind words regarding our team and hospitality. We truly LOVE having you as our guest and look forward to your return to this area.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

The price for this motel was a little less than normal. The hotel is off the beaten path, but the stay was nice and the front desk was helpful. Our king suite had lots of room except in the bathroom/dressing area.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank You for your honest feedback, we appreciate the kind words and having you as our guest.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

The staff is great and nice, the hotel is dated and old. The Lobby is beautifully update but that ends right there. It's a Hampton Inn and has all the expected features of the brand - it just needs some serious updating and a really good cleaning

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gr8agent
Reviewed 20 February 2013

the hotel staff was very friendly, the room was clean, everything worked well. the hot tub was nice! very satisfied! always try to stay at haptons inn's anywhere i go. breakfast buffet was amazing as usual.. my hubby was happy! i even signed up for hampton rewards.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I enjoyed my trip and stay at the hotel and found the hotel staff were helpful. Though the lobby area was in the process of being remodeled the staff made the best of it in accomodating the hotel guests. Having a shuttle service to local restaurants, mall, and church would be well appreciated by the guests who do not have their own means of transportation.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business