“Very Disappointing Dinner at Charley G's”

Charley G's Seafood Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Charley G's Seafood Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 573 Restaurants in Lafayette
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I was a fan of Charley G's until recently when we were served a disappointing, really embarrassing dinner. Two guests ordered an appetizer gazpacho soup highly recommended by the server. Several minutes later he informed us that the soup was not available. Then we changed to another appetizer, one I had previously enjoyed, coconut shrimp. Regrettably, it was not coconut shrimp of the past, four battered fried shrimp next to a skimpy sauce on the plate; another guest had escargots, the poorest excuse of escargots, miniscule in size and tasteless. The waiter recommended a special fish dish prepared for the evening as a main course. He returned to the table to tell us they had run out of the fish dish. Then crab cakes were ordered, after about 15-20 minutes the crab cakes arrived, seemed to have been deep fried, covered with some type of batter, definitely no lump crab meat on the inside; nothing distinguished about the dish, whereas in the past this dish was delicious. I was entertaining a Parisian food/wine gourmet and to say the least it turned out to be an apologetic evening because of the mediocre meal. The waiter was cordial and seemed concerned about the disaster coming from the kitchen. As I like to say, a restaurant is only as good as the last good meal I had there. Charley G's has now been scratched off my list of fine dining in Lafayette. Frequent visitor in Lafayette.

1  Thank suissebourgogne

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Had a delicious meal on a Friday night. A guy was playing piano in the bar and our table was close enough to hear it. Dinner was the fish special - twin tale fillet with a butternut squash puree, roasted brussel sprouts and topped with crabmeat. It was even better than it sounds!

Just don't ask for the cheddar cheese ice cream :)

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We stopped here on our way from Baton Rouge home to Houston. Waitress was super nice and the restaurant was very clean. We had the coconut shrimp appetizer, the crab cakes and the chorizo and shrimp pasta from the lunch menu. Definitely worth the detour off of I-10!

1  Thank Shannon H
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was my anniversary and well worth the trip.
I made reservations a week in advance. We were greeted at the door and made feel welcome.
Our waiter and the rest of the staff made it a very nice evening.
Everything was excellent.
Thanks Charley G’s
High AAA 's

1  Thank Jdsealpuller
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Before you even open the doors of the restaurant, you are greeted by the scent of the wood used in cooking the wonderful dishes. The ambiance is enjoyable and the wait staff is excellent. I would definitely recommend this one!