“Mr Randol Tear Down That Wall”
Review of Randol's

Randol's
Ranked #1 of 24 Nightlife in Lafayette
Whittier, California
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Mr Randol Tear Down That Wall”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I was shocked when I entered this place and not in a good way. I was here years ago in the late 80’s. Then we ate dinner and listened to great Cajun music and watched the dancers. We had a seat at the edge of the dance floor with a great view of the band and dancers. We had a great time. In fact it was a highlight of that trip.

This time to my shock upon entering Randol’s 2014 I saw that they had erected this barrier between the band/dancers and the people who were eating dinner. This created two distinct atmospheres. One for the music people and one for people eating. Before it seemed to me all the customers were in one big group together. Now we have separation. I don’t think one group cares about the group.

I asked for a seat where we could see and hear the band. We were told all the tables were good. Not so!. From where I was sitting I could not see the band in its entirety, I could only see one member. Then as the place got crowded with big groups I could not see anything because the people sitting in front all stood up to watch. At first, with effort, you could hear the music. But as the dinner crowd got larger and noisier I could not hear the band at all.. To make matters worse they had a large screen TV playing a tape of another band at same the same time the live band was playing. What's with that?

The food was OK not great but not bad either. The Boudin and the gumbo I would rate a 4 or 5, Very good. The main course maybe a 3.possibly a 4- The beer was fairly priced but no draft. The meal itself was overpriced considering the quality, but that would not have been a problem if you could hear the music and watch the dancers. I am willing to pay higher prices on the food and drink for the entertainment. Here I got the higher priced food but no entertainment I could hear or see.

The service was fine, no problems.

The partition is made of glass or plastic. There are a couple of brick pillars holding it up. The pillars blocked the view at our table. The glass or plastic.. I don’t know what to say about that. It is just bad.

We planned to spend a couple of hours there eating and drinking some of the libations. We left in less than an hour, Mainly because we could not see through the standing people and the glass partitions and the brick columns. And because we could not hear over the crowd noise.

I think they have the partition there so charge the dancers a fee. I am sure they can another way to do this without that partition.

I would not recommend this place to anyone who wants to eat while listening to Cajun music and watching Cajun dancers. If they tear down that partition I may change my mind. But I am not coming back until that wall is gone.

Instead of being a highlight like the 1980’s it was a purely disastrous night for 2014.

Visited May 2014
5 Thank Paul M

Inverness, Florida
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Good food - not-so-great server.”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My husband and I were looking forward to an evening out with good food and Cajun music. The crawfish and Thai snapper were excellent. The waitress, Michelle, was a dud. Unfriendly, reluctantly took a picture for us, and had the check on the table before my husband had finished, without asking if we wanted another glass of wine, etc. we were going to the bar and into the dance room, but were turned off by such service.

Visited May 2014
4 Thank John P
Saint Louis, Missouri
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“"Gotta love that crawfish"”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Always enjoy this place they have a great menu selection along with live local music. And they have some of the best crawfish in town.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Paul M
Palmetto, Florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“A must-see!”
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

Whether or not you're a listener of Louisiana music, this place is a real cultural experience. You'll be hard pressed to find more authentic Cajun music, and it's played most every night of the week. The food looks good, and although we came for drinks and music, we sampled a few a la carte items. While the small portion of shrimp jambalaya was cold and barely a spoonful in a little dish, the smaller dish of corn, potatoes, and sausage was well worth it. Cold beers, nice dance floor- overalll one of the neatest places I've seen in a long time. Make sure to stop by of you're near Lafayette.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank sethreaux
Tustin, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“A must-do in Lafayette!”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This is my first visit to Louisiana, and Randol's is exactly what I envisioned the deep South to be like. Great cajun food, fun dancing, a wonderful environment in which to spend a warm summer evening. The wait staff was fantastic. I had the chicekn and sausage gumbo, BBQ shrimp and of course, bread pudding for dessert. I highly recommend!

Visited August 2013