“Rent by the hour?”

Howard Johnson Lafayette
Ranked #33 of 50 Hotels in Lafayette

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Texas City, Texas
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

I was traveling home from Biloxi, MS when my Tahoe broke down and I secured a rental at the local airport to make it home to TX. I had the hotel for all of 4 hours (1 hr sleep) b4 I had to head back out. They charged me $15 for a trash can! I do not steal! And they will not reverse the charge. I know for a fact, after searching for 5 minutes for a trash can to put my food wrappers in, that there was only one in the entire room; under the bathroom counter. I am livid. I have no need for your cheap trash can. I have plenty in my 3,000sqft lake house (not bragging, just making a point). They lure you in with cheap prices, just to charge you for something they accuse you of stealing, which puts their prices in line with their better competitors. I've seen this happen a few times on here. I demand this be refunded to me. I usually stay in suites anywhere I go, but knew I'd be there for only a few hours. I can't justify spending $130 on 4 hours of sleep. When I called them the third time, they said they would look at the security footage and get back with me. I'm calling them tomorrow. This will never happen again. I will pay the extra money for my normal hotel if it means I do not get treated like a thief.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Ivyrae81
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I am normally not moved to share criticism with a business unless I find it absolutely necessary, and this incident certainly does.

The 'customer service' that we were exposed to was, quite simply, the worst we have ever experienced. I cannot express just how rude and aggressive the manager (Jay Patel) was towards my husband and myself - we honestly felt so victimised. After approaching the breakfast bar for the second time for toast and a coffee, my husband was verbally abused and humiliated for taking a second helping. Let me be perfectly clear, neither myself nor my husband had abused the serve yourself breakfast facility. I had consumed a bowl of cereal and a bagel with coffee, and my husband had the same when he approached the breakfast bar for two slices of toast. I'm sure you would agree, this is a perfectly reasonable.

During this exchange, Mr. Patel accused my husband of approaching the breakfast bar three times (this is false, it was only twice) and was very aggressive in his demeanour. My husband was completely dumbfounded and explained that he hadn't realised there was a limit. Mr. Patel then alleged that it is against policy to have food taken into the room, explaining that "it brings ants". My husband queried why then they provided microwaves, fridges and food menu's in our room. If we ordered a pizza last night from the pizza menu, would we have to eat it outside our room? I think not. Mr. Patel then yelled at my husband to get out of the breakfast area, which he did. During this exchange Mr. Patel and his colleague (perhaps his wife) spoke in Hindi in front of my husband about him.

Upon departure, my husband returned our room keys to reception and explained that we would be outlining our concerns with Howard Johnson to which Mr. Patel responded with "go ahead, I don't care".

Mr. Patel then fled the office towards our room to inspect it. We waited for Mr. Patel to finish his inspection to ensure that everything was up to scratch. When he emerged from the room, we asked if everything was ok. Mr. Patel then shook his finger at us and said "No! Something is missing!". ( must point out that we had not taken a single thing from the room). We asked Mr. Patel what was missing, to which he responded with "I don't know yet, but something is missing". We offered to wait whilst he carried out his inspection, expecting a full apology when he found that in fact nothing was missing, however he threw his arms out and told us to leave.

I'm absolutely shocked at the treatment we received. We are very reasonable people and treat all that we encounter with a basic level of respect, so in no way was this ill treatment warranted. It was so unprofessional and just plain rude. Not for a second do I believe that Mr. Patel's ire was out of concern for ants being attracted to food in the room. I remind you that there is a microwave, fridge and menu's in the room intended for food consumption in the room. For the sake of the cost of two slices of bread and a cup of coffee, Mr. Patel has completely alienated us as customers of Howard Johnson. We are in the middle of a six month trip across the USA and of all the nights we have spent in motels, never have we been so poorly treated. I understand that Mr. Patel may be the exception when it comes to Howard Johnson Inn's, however this experience has left a really bad taste in our mouths and we are reluctant to commit to HOJO again.

After retrospectively reading reviews on this place, I can see that the representative from HOJO that responds to reviewers either counters with accusations or passively advises that comments would be taken on board. This clearly doesn't happen, since he is quite possibly the rudest person I have ever encountered in my life.

I could see how one might have a pleasant enough experience here, if one avoided contact with the staff, and this explains the good reviews here. But at the root of this business is a very rude, aggressive man who I would never want to encounter again.

Room Tip: Ask how much toast you are allowed to consume at check in. Mr. Patel may become atomic if you exceed...