“Great Place for Indian food!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 557 Restaurants in Lafayette
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Place for Indian food!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

We fell in love with indian food during our visit to India earlier this year. We were happy to find such a nice Indian restaurant while passing through Lafayette. The food was great, nicely seasoned, and prepared just as ordered. The restaurant was nice and clean with friendly and attentive service. We spent some time talking with the owner about our time in India and he shared some of his favorite dishes. We highly recommend the Samosa Tikki Chaat and Tandoori Mix Grill!! We left stuffed and happy we chose to eat at Masalas! We will definitely visit again!!

• Visited July 2013

Lafayette, Louisiana
“Bad Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

I written about this in other reviews. The staff of a business can do so much to make or break your experience there. I don't care how good the food is, if a restaurant has bad service, I simply can't enjoy my experience.

Everything was going well at my recent trip to Masala. The food was a little more bland than I remember from my previous trips, but the taste was good. I really liked the garlic naan. The problem happened when I finished my meal. I moved my plates to the other side of the table, so it was clear that I was finished eating. I fully expected my waitress to pick up my plates and offer me dessert, but that never happened. I sat there and waited, and waited, and waited for what must have been at least 15 minutes. Finally, another waiter stopped by my table, cleared my plates, and offered to bring my check. Right after that, my waitress came to my table and apologized, but it was too late. She was around the whole time. Why didn't she do what she was supposed to do?

As for the timing of the whole thing, I can say this much. I had a glass of water, an order of naan, and a main course. When I got back in my car, I had been in the restaurant for about an hour and 15 minutes. I wasn't in a hurry, but there's no reason for it to take THAT long.

Evidently, a lot of other people have had good experiences there. Sadly, my experience was disappointing, so I simply can't recommend Masala.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Moran, WY
“The Best Indian Restaurant Any Where!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

We have tried Indian restaurants in the states and Europe and have never found one that comes close to Masala! The atmosphere was inviting, the service was great and the food was outstanding. My husband had the Chicken Biriani. He said it was the best he has ever had. I had the lamb Rogan Josh and it was better than spectacular. You can order everything mild, medium or spicy. If you have never tasted Indian food this is the place to go. You will be hooked!

My only complaint is that I live in Florida and can't visit Masala at least once a week.

louisiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great taste and quality ingredients”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

I have eaten at Masala numerous times and the food has always been excellent . Every dish that I have tried was as good as can be. Great service with the owners taking deep interest in every aspect of service and quality. Could eat there everyday its addictive.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Fresh ingredients & helpful staff; great for gluten-free”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

We ate there on a Thursday evening around 7pm. The restaurant was only moderately busy, so we were seated right away. it is a nice/classy place with a dimmed but not too dark ambiance.

The menu has many selections, some traditional and some house specialties. They highlight on the menu which items are vegan and/or gluten free. We ordered the Vegetable Pakoras, Lettuce And Papad Cups appetizers and for entree's Tandoori Chicken and also the Bhindi Masala (we love okra). They were all excellent. Portion sizes were good. We didn't leave hungry and had a little left over. We felt the prices were fair for the quality and quantity of food and the service/ambiance provided.
If we are back in the area, we will definitely stop again.

Visited June 2013