“Loved It!”

Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Lafitte
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

The airboat was so much fun & the guide was very informative. We saw lots of gaters big & small. Perfect thing to do on hot Summer day & got all of us away from Bourbon Street for a few hours. Top notch service from pick up at hotel to dropping us all off at a restaraunt he suggested for lunch.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,451)

Reviewed 16 June 2014

What a great day out in the water in the airboat saw many gators who came within feet of us and the guide Mike was excellent who took the times to tell all about the history of gvators and the bayou in general. When in the area this is a must do it was fantastic,make sure you book a small boat it is much better and more enjoyable then the larger boat with more people on it.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Greatly enjoyed the high speed ride, water spraying in your face, boat rocking over the wake of other air boats. The only bad thing is it takes about 10 minutes to get to where you can go fast, and the same 10 minutes coming back. Then it is slow speed through the swamp and stops on the way. Our driver was not very talkative, so it was very quiet and dull at times. I had no issue's with the sun, but if you are not in it often, definitely need sunscreen. We paid $20 each to be picked up and returned to our hotel in the french quarter.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Had a really fantastic time on the airboat ride - the guide was knowledgeable and made it a really fun ride with plenty of opportunities to take pictures. I was surprised at just how beautiful the area was once we got out on the water. The hotel shuttle was good, with the driver telling us plenty of information about the area on our drive out to Lafitte.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Riding an airboat through a swamp has been on my bucket list since a little girl watching "Lassie." This could easily have been anticlimactic, but not so! This totally lived up to my starry-eyed expectations!

I should say, however, that I have a feeling we had a particularly good driver/leader. We had group members on 3 other boats and while they had a good time, none was raving as much as our group members were.

The swamp is beautiful! Somehow, I had envisioned something much more claustrophobic and heavy, but really it was green and arching. Sure, it closed in on us, and true, the water was brackish and thick ... but you could sense the sky over-head and the air, while hot and muggy, was fresh enough.

The alligators were very happy to come out to eat marshmallows -- I had to wonder if it was good for them. Then they were happy enough to eat chicken wings -- that seemed better. Then our guide dove in and swam with them (apparently no other guide did, or was fool enough to try). Eventually we had the opportunity to hold a baby alligator -- I'm not sure he was happy about it.

So overall, it was a fun afternoon -- best for the ride and the swamp views, including seeing the alligators. It was thrilling to have our guide in with the alligators ... but there was enough of a question in my mind about the tour's relationship with the alligators (holding the baby, feeding the marshmallows) that made it feel a bit touristy, and to my my mind, a little bit questionably humane. Still the time flew by and I thoroughly enjoyed it, even if I times I wondered if I shouldn't.

Word to the wise -- even if you are opposed to bug repellent, take it and use it. Your alternative is to cover yourself well. On an 85-degree day like ours was, this may feel an appealing option, but as long as the boat is in motion the breeze is cooling and even stopped it was more about the sun than the heat. I think that covering up is probably your best bet unless you just don't think you can manage the heat.