“An Excellent Substitute When Casino Hotels Were Booked!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of SpringHill Suites Lake Charles

SpringHill Suites Lake Charles
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Lake Charles
Houston, TX
“An Excellent Substitute When Casino Hotels Were Booked!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

Room type – Suite with two queen beds (looked like full sized beds) and sofa bed separated by divider. There were three areas with a pocket door - toilet with a “lil” sink, closet, and a sink/shower area. There was also a mini refrigerator and microwave in the room.

Pros:
• Close to casino and mall
• Excellent customer service
• Comfortable beds
• Free breakfast
• Free Wi-Fi
• Early check-in
• Good cell phone reception (ATT and BoostMobile)

Cons:
• Only one television (37”) for entire room. The television cannot be situated for everyone in the room to view it simultaneously
• Shower only; no bathtub
• Towels were new but rough

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sujag1998

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

Normally my wife and I stay at the L’Auberge du Lac so that our room is near the casino. But at $159 + tax a night to roll there, we thought it worth the gamble to see what others on TripAdvisor were hitting on. After parking for free right next to the main entrance, we entered SHS's modest, clean and brightly colored lobby with our best poker faces on, expecting the worse. But, Amanda at check in was as cool as a high stakes dealer. She scored us the best room at the end of the hall on the side away from the highway (a bit noisy).

When we opened the room door, never having stayed in a Spring Hills Suite, we were quite apprehensive about what number we would land on. (We felt a bit of luck could be riding with us since the key color throughout the hallways and rooms is dollar bill green.) To our surprise we scored a modest jackpot for a hotel less than 2 months old. Comfy queen bed with comforter, pullout sofa, pro desk chair/desk, great lighting (no neon though), free WI-FI throughout, free breakfast and newspaper, lots of light wood accents and frosted glass throughout the suite. Even got a microwave and an iHome radio that you can dock your iPod into. Widescreen LG tele with decent channels for Bayou Country. High quality treadmills and cross-trainers, and an indoor pool/jacuzzi for us triathletes, although the pool size is tighter than the odds on a crooked roulette wheel.

My wife and I often stay at Hyatt Place for personal travel or at the casino itself because they are generally safer bets. But, if the other SpringHills are like this one in Lake Charles, we could be convinced to play at Mr Marriott's tables more often.

Room Tip: Book way in advance. A new property this good will sell out fast once people know it's open.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DScotty
N/A
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

I had booked 2 rooms a few weeks in advance of my visit from out of town. It was very important that both rooms were in close proximity and I did tell the reservation clerk of my need. She stated that it shouldn't be a problem but stated that it is not uncommon to check in and find out that such requests are not honored. Well, upon check-in the rooms were NOT even close to one another. I kindly asked the desk clerk to please help by putting them closer. She actually sighed and grudgingly started to peck away at her computer. She said that it wasn't possible. I went up to my room and noticed that the room directly next to mine was being cleaned. I called down to the desk and asked if we could have THAT room. I met with resistance but pushed a little harder until I finally got another peevish sigh and testy response. We two adults waited patiently in my room until the other was cleaned...about 15 min.
We left soon to go to a festival. Arriving into the empty lobby we noticed the manager giving the desk clerk a shoulder/back rub. Really?! The next day upon check out there was a new person at the desk. He was a great kid who had obviously had training with the public. The manager from the day before showed up and I mentioned to him that we had a difficult time with the woman desk clerk. He clammed up and didn't say anything...just walked away. I never raised my voice or was curt my entire stay. The whole thing was weird.
OTHER than THAT: The rooms were very clean. The free breakfast was one of the better I have had in a chain hotel. It also seemed to be in a safe and well monitored area.
(The pool, by the way, is very very small)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Spring, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

We were in town for my son's World Series in Sulphur and our team stayed at this hotel. The staff was more than accomodating! We had 11 families staying here with several kids in each family. They were so easy to work with. Always offering to help out in anyway that they could - helping us with trash from our team dinners, letting us sit inside to eat so the bugs wouldn't get us, and taking the time to talk to the kids and not treat them as a nuisance. I would stay here again without any qualms whatsoever! Great rooms and great staff! The place was so clean. The breakfast was good and had a lot of variety.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

This is a new hotel near the interstate and casino. It is hands down the cleanest, most up to date, comfortable and surprisingly modern hotel I've ever stayed in. The rooms are awesome with separate sitting area/work area. The bed was super comfortable and the entire hotel smelled clean and fresh. Kudos to Marriott on this one. I will be back!!

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

Brand new hotel (1 week old). Extremely nice staff. European style rooms with extra comfy beds. Wifi, good AT&T and Sprint reception. Good breakfast with waffles, hot scrambled eggs and more. The only very minor issue was that they did not do a good job of keeping up with the breakfast rush. They ran out of spoons, cups, coffee stirs, etc. I have stayed at a couple of other SpringHill suites and so far this one is my favorite.

• Stayed June 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank AustinBizTraveler
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

We were celebrating our 31st wedding anniversary and only had time for a quick getaway. This hotel had only been open 8 days when we arrived. Everything was running smoothly except for having to log on several times a day to the wireless internet, but they were working on it. Breakfast was good and comparable to other complementary breakfasts. Walk-in shower, well lighted sink, and separate toilet with mini-sink was novel. Stand-alone closet was smaller than a usual closet, but still held all our clothes. Pillow-top bed was very comfortable and supportive, and not very hard like most hotels. 40+ inch flat screen TV--just like ours at home. Excellent room cooling for those 95+ degree days. Well-lighted room and desk with multiple plugs and great office chair for computer work. Close to nearby casino (Lauberge du Loc) and several restaurants. Don't know if other rooms have tubs or if all have showers only. We were provided with plenty of towels and washcloths, too. My only regret was that we could not stay longer--I might get some work done on my book! For the first time in a long time, this hotel met ALL of my high standards (if they get that pesky wireless internet log-on fixed!).

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple