“GREAT PLACE TO STAY”

Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Lake Charles
baton rouge, la.
“GREAT PLACE TO STAY”
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Tthis hotel was clean, spacious, and beautful inside; and the breakfast was amazing,

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Beautiful hotel. Very nice queen room with sitting/desk area. Lobby area was nice with comfortable visiting area for me and my family. Pool/jacuzzi and fitness room were very nice and clean. Staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: Great location; near the casino's, shopping and restaurants.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Prescott Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I was in Lake Charles on business and was pleasantly surprised by this cute place. I loved the decor, sort of mid-century modern meets the Jetsons, very cool. A welcome change from the normal hotel/motel; more along the lines of some of the boutique-y places I've stayed. The king-size room was well appointed. Lots of room for working and the wall mounted TV was a nice touch. The bed was perfect! The split bathroom was very large with lots of counter space. My room was very quiet, though I'm told the rooms that face the highway aren't as quiet. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Moe is a real gem!

Room Tip: Ask for a room opposite the highway.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
British Columbia
Reviewed 8 September 2011

We got caught on the backroads by Tropical Storm Lee and we were looking for a place to get out of the rain.What a surprise when we opened the door to our room and found one the nicest hotel rooms we have stayed in. The bed was lovely, the layout of the room was great and the breakfast was plentiful. The shuttle to the casino was a nice touch alhough we did not take advantage of it.
Close to everything and the staff was very very helpful.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janiecuz
Houston, TX
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Room type – Suite with two queen beds (looked like full sized beds) and sofa bed separated by divider. There were three areas with a pocket door - toilet with a “lil” sink, closet, and a sink/shower area. There was also a mini refrigerator and microwave in the room.

Pros:
• Close to casino and mall
• Excellent customer service
• Comfortable beds
• Free breakfast
• Free Wi-Fi
• Early check-in
• Good cell phone reception (ATT and BoostMobile)

Cons:
• Only one television (37”) for entire room. The television cannot be situated for everyone in the room to view it simultaneously
• Shower only; no bathtub
• Towels were new but rough

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sujag1998
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Normally my wife and I stay at the L’Auberge du Lac so that our room is near the casino. But at $159 + tax a night to roll there, we thought it worth the gamble to see what others on TripAdvisor were hitting on. After parking for free right next to the main entrance, we entered SHS's modest, clean and brightly colored lobby with our best poker faces on, expecting the worse. But, Amanda at check in was as cool as a high stakes dealer. She scored us the best room at the end of the hall on the side away from the highway (a bit noisy).

When we opened the room door, never having stayed in a Spring Hills Suite, we were quite apprehensive about what number we would land on. (We felt a bit of luck could be riding with us since the key color throughout the hallways and rooms is dollar bill green.) To our surprise we scored a modest jackpot for a hotel less than 2 months old. Comfy queen bed with comforter, pullout sofa, pro desk chair/desk, great lighting (no neon though), free WI-FI throughout, free breakfast and newspaper, lots of light wood accents and frosted glass throughout the suite. Even got a microwave and an iHome radio that you can dock your iPod into. Widescreen LG tele with decent channels for Bayou Country. High quality treadmills and cross-trainers, and an indoor pool/jacuzzi for us triathletes, although the pool size is tighter than the odds on a crooked roulette wheel.

My wife and I often stay at Hyatt Place for personal travel or at the casino itself because they are generally safer bets. But, if the other SpringHills are like this one in Lake Charles, we could be convinced to play at Mr Marriott's tables more often.

Room Tip: Book way in advance. A new property this good will sell out fast once people know it's open.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DScotty
N/A
Reviewed 22 July 2011

I had booked 2 rooms a few weeks in advance of my visit from out of town. It was very important that both rooms were in close proximity and I did tell the reservation clerk of my need. She stated that it shouldn't be a problem but stated that it is not uncommon to check in and find out that such requests are not honored. Well, upon check-in the rooms were NOT even close to one another. I kindly asked the desk clerk to please help by putting them closer. She actually sighed and grudgingly started to peck away at her computer. She said that it wasn't possible. I went up to my room and noticed that the room directly next to mine was being cleaned. I called down to the desk and asked if we could have THAT room. I met with resistance but pushed a little harder until I finally got another peevish sigh and testy response. We two adults waited patiently in my room until the other was cleaned...about 15 min.
We left soon to go to a festival. Arriving into the empty lobby we noticed the manager giving the desk clerk a shoulder/back rub. Really?! The next day upon check out there was a new person at the desk. He was a great kid who had obviously had training with the public. The manager from the day before showed up and I mentioned to him that we had a difficult time with the woman desk clerk. He clammed up and didn't say anything...just walked away. I never raised my voice or was curt my entire stay. The whole thing was weird.
OTHER than THAT: The rooms were very clean. The free breakfast was one of the better I have had in a chain hotel. It also seemed to be in a safe and well monitored area.
(The pool, by the way, is very very small)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family