“Avg Hotel in a Bad Location”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lake Charles
Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Lake Charles
Reviewed 30 August 2011

If you are staying in Lake Charles to enjoy the casinos, do not choose this hotel as your accommodation. It is quite far and not an easy drive from the casino area. Also, the general location is scummy. Didn't feel safe, worried about vehicle. The bathroom was so poorly lit I could barely see what I was doing when applying my makeup. Rooms are a bit dated, but not the worst I have seen.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
holidayinnexpresslak, Webmaster at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lake Charles, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn during your visit to our area.

Thank you for the review and your comments.

We have taken adequate steps to ensure security of the hotel premises and you can be assured of a safe and comfortable stay.

The next time you visit our area, please choose us and you shall be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lake Charles

Reviewed 9 May 2011

I stayed in a HUGE king whirpool room over mothers day weekend. The room was very spacious, and uncluttered. Desk, couch, king (very comfy)size bed, fridge, micro, and jacuzzi tub that could have fit three adults easily.
The room was pretty clean except for the fridge and regular tub/shower where i noticed a lil bit of rust on the drain n fixture. Otherwise the sheets and room were very well maintained.
The breakfast in the morning was standard HIE&S items, but were very well looked after and stocked, never a dirty table or problem ( i ate three different times over the three hours seeing how i was 6.5 months pregnant). Both of the front desk clerks were friendly, knowledgeable, and courteous. They even hung on to my phone charger ( for several hours )after i had left it in my room.
My only complaints are 1. Parking- not a great layout, and def not enough im sure if the hotel had been at capacity.
2. Location- In between a highway and a graveyard and the edge of a seedy area of town. Not to mention the entrance is a lil goofy.
For myself the pros outweighed the cons, especially considering the price of alot of other hotels of LC (labuerge du lac, isle de capri, wyndam..). I honestly will definetly stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank FullyAliveN
Reviewed 20 February 2011

This hotel was ok for what we needed. We were going to a large youth weekend that is held in Louisiana every year. There were four of us that stayed...my husband, myself and my two stepsons. The hotel was clean and everyone was very polite. I had a very quick check in and check out. It's not a hotel for a romantic atmosphere but if you just need a place to stay for a few nights it was perfect.

I only had a couple of minor complaints. When we first went up the elevator to the third floor there was a funny smell in the hall way. The bathroom door in our room only shut if you pulled up on the door. The event that we went to kept us out pretty late. We came in around 3:30 a.m. so we were pretty tired. We wanted to sleep in as late as possible the next moring. I did like that checkout was at 12 instead of 11 like other hotels. We could hear a lot of banging in the hallway. We could also hear kids talking really loud. I guess the walls are just really thin. If you were early to rise I'm sure it wasn't that big of a deal.

All in all it was a pleasant experience. We would stay here again.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2010

The client and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express because it showed up on TripAdvisor as one of the most recommended in the area. I must state that I use Trip Advisor before staying at any hotel for the first time and as usual, the reviews were right on. The hotel was new at the time and the lobby decor in green (as most Holiday Inns these days) was inviting. The staff greeted me with a smile and was helpful in pointing out various attributes in the area. The room was of adequate size, clean and contained the typical amenities. The view outside my window was that of the neighbors backyard so the hotel is near a residential area but a high fence separates the two. Our customer told us that someone shot someone at the hotel about a month earlier (July 2010). they think it was a domestic dispute with an employee. It was the only incident she was aware of with the hotel. This Holiday Inn is not far from a shopping center/mall. The hotel is situated less than a mile from the main freewy and the casinos are located only a couiple of exits from the hotel for those who are interested. I heard the casinos have great food, too but didn't take time to check it out. We dined at the Mexican restaurant Casa Manana that was recommended by the customer and the food and service were both excellent. The roads were easy to navigate - afterall, the town is small (which I love!) so I enjoyed the visit there and will probably go back when I want R&R.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 October 2010

After seeing the rooms at the Days Inn, I immediately decided to go to the Holiday Inn Express. What a difference. Staff friendly and courteous, rooms were clean and inviting; amenities were great especially for children under 12. I will go to this hotel everytime I am in Lake Charles.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 November 2009

Stayed at this Holiday Inn Express with family because I've never had a bad experience with the chain. Boy did that change. The room was somewhat clean if you can overlook hairs in the bathtub. There was mildew around the edge of the bathtub, the toilet seat fell of, the toilet ran constantly and leaked. The staff was basically rude, especially the male manager. Stay elsewhere in Lake Charles.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank halobender

Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying with the Holiday Inn Lake Charles during your recent visit to our area.

We appreciate your review and our apologies for the inconvenience you had howsoever.

We have addressed all your observation points and you shall definitely find the difference during your next visit.

We await your earliest next trip to our area and promise a nice stay with us.

Hotel Manager.

Reviewed 28 July 2008

I stay all the time, for years now, at the Lake Charles Hol Inn Express off MLK and it's FINE. I think it's adequate for what you should expect from any HIEx across the nation; the attendants are very nice and you'll soon find your way to Steamboat Bill's on the service road at the Big Bridge.

I'm a business traveler across the US and this is a standard experience-level HIEx. Frankly, though, in an oil-patch area you won't find a cleaner or nicer hotel between Beaumont and Lafayette --and that's a stretch. I'm not crazy about the retail rates (I pay business) but it's maybe $15 higher than averages where I stay nationally.

There's dining around town (ask the front desk) from fine to regular/
chain; there's a casino on the lake if you like that sort of thing including dancing/dining/shows.

If you are expecting amenity-rich rooms, like a jacuzzi, check with the front desk WHEN YOU CHECK IN and get it confirmed when you get into the room. I have never had to move; fixtures worked. Safe, good parking and security--no problems ever. Enjoy your stay and enjoy Lake Charles.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank chevytexas